Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

Wonder if this kid still has some growth in him? This kid is a Soph putting up insane numbers. Also about 97% FT, and he passes the ball around with about 8 asst/gm. This isn't an aberration. We need to get our foot in the door with this one. It's not like he is suiting up against grade schoolers.

Wonder if this kid still has some growth in him? This kid is a Soph putting up insane numbers. Also about 97% FT, and he passes the ball around with about 8 asst/gm. This isn't an aberration. We need to get our foot in the door with this one. It's not like he is suiting up against grade schoolers.

29 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Who had the last long streak for us? Was it Jordy?

Yup, Hulls set the B1G record with 58 consecutive. I know it hasn’t been broken by an IU player and I can’t recall anyone on another team breaking it in the past 5 years.

Blackford vs South Adams - Halftime  Score: Blf 37  SA 17

Brown  PTS  A  3PT  Reb  2TP  BKL FT

21    5   3-5     1     3-3     1    6-6

Totals   35    6   5-8     2     5-8      1   10-10    Score 61 - 35

1 hour ago, fwgreenway said:

Blackford vs South Adams - Halftime  Score: Blf 37  SA 17

Brown  PTS  A  3PT  Reb  2TP  BKL FT

21    5   3-5     1     3-3     1    6-6

Totals   35    6   5-8     2     5-8      1   10-10    Score 61 - 35

Have you seen him play? If so, what are your thoughts

21 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Have you seen him play? If so, what are your thoughts

I watched the steam of the game from South Adams. And I had relatives at the game. My best impression of him is his court awareness. Always plays with his head up at the point position. Excellent no-look passing ability. Automatic at the foul line. Nice open court speed, but not a high level athlete. Nothing flashy in his demeanor - just plays and seems very mature for his age. Would love to see how he does with high level players around him and playing against him. The competition in this game wasn't the best to judge just how good he is or could be. Will be interesting to see if he will continue to add height and weight over the next two years. Right now I think athletically he fits more of a small division one school - but - time will tell. 

Past weekend game summaries from Blackford Athletics

Bruins Split Two on the Road

The Bruins had two road trips Friday and Saturday and finished with a split. The Bruins lost a heartbreaker at Madison-Grant 69-67 on Friday night, but went to South Adams on Saturday and rebounded to win 61-35 to finish the week 7-2.

In front of the first of two more nice sized crowds of supporters over the weekend, the Bruins got of to a slow start against the Argylls, but the game would turn into a very exciting game to watch despite the outcome. The Bruins trailed 17-11 after one, but battle back as Luke Brown got hot in the second quarter to lead the Bruins to a 33-30 lead at the break. Brown did end a school-record streak of 52 straight free throws in a season by missing two in the second quarter.

The Argylls regained control in the third quarter by outscoring the Bruins 21-15 to take a 51-48 lead heading to the fourth.

Brandon Stroble hit a big three at the 5:33 mark to cut the Argylls lead to one, 55-54. And Andrew Beckley basket gave the Bruins a 56-55 lead with 2:40 to go. The Argylls would then surge to a 62-59 lead before a Dalton Willmann bucket cut the lead to 62-61 with 2:13 to play. Luke Brown would hit two free throws with 1:21 to go to again cut the lead to one 64-63.

Madison-Grant again took a three point lead, 66-63 with about 10 seconds to play. Luke Brown raced the court to hit a lay-up with 5.4 seconds to play to cut the lead to one, 66-65.

That’s when things got very interesting. After a time-out, Brown stole the inbounds pass and was fouled on the shot with 3.1 to play. Brown hit both to put the Bruins up 67-66. But after a time out, Madison-Grant threw a long pass that was caught. On the shot, the Argyll shooter appeared to be bumped on the shot either by Brandon Stroble who was going for the ball or his own teammate also going for the ball. Unfortunately, a foul was called on Stroble with one second left and the Argylls hit all three free throws. A desperation shot by Luke Brown was well off the mark from ¾ court and the Argylls walked away with a 69-67 win.

Despite the call that did not go their way, the Bruins had several chances to take the game, but missed seven free throws and 31 shots from the field. The Bruins hit just 8 of 24 from behind the arc.

Luke Brown scored 36 points to lead the Bruins. Brandon Stroble tossed in 16.

The JV Bruins won their game 51-39. The Bruins used a 16-4 second quarter to take a 32-16 lead at the half and never looked back. Rydge Dunica added 11. Peyton Hurd added 11. Cam Elam and Brayden Roberts added 9 and 8 points respectively.
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
The Bruins, and their fans, fortunately had little time to fret about the disappointing outcome on Friday and looked ahead to their game at South Adams on Saturday.

The Starfires hung around early until Luke Brown got a lay-up to give the Bruins a 13-7 lead with three minutes to go in the first. Brandon Stroble paced the Bruins early in scoring all 8 of his points in the opening period. Brown later hit a 3 from behind the volleyball line to give the Bruins a 24-7 lead with 6:00 to go in the half. From there on, the Starfires would threaten no more. The Bruins would take a 50-29 lead to the fourth and cleared the bench for must of the final minutes. The Bruins went on to win 61-35.

The Bruins shooting woes continued on Saturday. The Bruins hit ust 8-26 from behind the arc for 31% and just 13-34 of their twos for just 38%. The Bruins shot better from the free throw line on Saturday going 11-14. Much of that due to Brown hitting all 10 of his chances.

Luke Brown again lead the Bruins with 35 points before leaving with about four minutes to play in the game. Dalton Willmann had a nice second half from the field to end up with 10 points. Brandon Stroble finished with 8.  Stroble and Brown each grabbed 7 rebounds. Brayden Roberts grabbed 6 off the bench. Brown added 6 assists and 6 steals.

Extracted from Mississinewa game write-up

The Bruins would extend their lead to 54-47 after the third. Much of the larger advantage came at the end of the quarter when Brown, in a flurry, tossed in 10 points. His last six came on two crown-energizing three-pointers; one came from well beyond the volleyball line and the other, maybe the shot of the year, came when Brown scrambled to chase down a loose ball and, while falling out of bounds in front of the Bruin Pep Band, turned and drained the three sending most of the near 3000 fans onto their feet with appreciation for what they just witnessed or thought they witnessed!

The Bruins extended their lead in the fourth much in part to good free throw shooting. While the Indians struggled somewhat from the line, the Bruins combined to hit 13 of 15 chances. Luke Brown hit most of them in the fourth as the Bruins looked to use the clock. He hit 7 of 8 on the night, the miss once again causing a gasp from the stands as they occur so rarely. Mark White, Andrew Beckley and Brandon Stroble combined to hit 6 of 7.

Brown again entertained those in attendance with 39 points on 13 of 23 shooting of which 6 of 9 came from behind the arc. He added 7 rebounds and 5 assists

About midway through the video you'll see the 2 shots described above

Blackford defeated Winchester 65 - 50.

The varsity boys basketball did something that no other team has accomplished since ’71-72 and that is to start the season 9-2. The Bruins had their hands full with the Winchester Golden Falcons throughout much of the game played at the Winchester Field House in front of a good-sized Monday night crowd.

Luke Brown continued to shoot well hitting 15 of 26 attempts for 58% in route to a game-high 43 points. He added 6 rebounds, 2 steals and 4 assists. He hit 9 of 10 from the line.

Right now has low to Mid D1 offers whick is good for us. Defense and quickness is the question on him right now. Volume shooter with pretty nice scoring touch. Dead eye at free throw line. Great court vision and crazy passing skills. Was 'tabbed' with Steve Nash qualities when younger. I like him alot but needs to improve in some areas. I think a little Jordyesque. 

I watched a short video of him playing on Facebook last night. The completion isn’t good at all. Most of the players are damn near shorter then he is. I’m rooting for this kid though. Only heard good things about him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

I watched a short video of him playing on Facebook last night. The completion isn’t good at all. Most of the players are damn near shorter then he is. I’m rooting for this kid though. Only heard good things about him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah doesn't play the toughest of teams. Would love to see him this summer playing up a few tournaments that there are lol. Not alot from him over past summer. Broke his leg I believe at end of HS season.

Blackord soundly beaten by Frankton 88 - 62.   The Bruins hit just 19-52 shots from the floor for 37%.  The Bruins hit just 8 or 27 (30%) from behind the arc.  Brown hit just 2 of 10, but hit 7 of 12 of his 2-point attempts.  Free throws kept the Bruins in the game as they hit 16 of 18 for 89%. Brown hit 11 of 12.  Brown would finish the game with 31 points.  He added 4 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals.