Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

10 games - 295 pts.

https://blackfordathletics.com/2018/01/14/bruins-fall-to-winchester-67-60/

The Bruins dropped their second game of the season in a 67-60 loss to Winchester last night.

Luke Brown led the Bruins with 31 points and 6 assists and hit a near 40-footer at the end of the half that cut the Falcon lead to one (video of that shot is posted on the Blackford Athletics Facebook page). In recording his sixth career 30+ point game with a 3-pointer at the final buzzer, he became the all-time leader in boy’s basketball history in that category in only his tenth career game.

For those of you that might want to watch Brown play but live a long way from Jay Co., he'll be playing at North Miami HS this coming Saturday afternoon.

At the request of North Miami, the boy’s games on Saturday, January 20 have been pushed back to a 1:00pm JV start.

North Miami is a country school located 2 miles north of the little town of Denver, IN which is on SR 16 (roughly 7 miles due north of Peru, IN).  The location is also approx. 2.5 miles west of SR 19 on Miami County road  900N

I just looked at the schedule Blackford plays. Several teams from my home high school's (Union Rockets, Modoc, Indiana, roughly 200 kids in 4 grades) conference (MEC), including Randolph Southern, Monroe Central and Muncie Burris. Never in all my years of watching basketball at that level (including years working for a newspaper in Richmond and covering such games) did I ever see a D1 player emerge from a small school.

There was one exception when I moved to Bloomington and covered a game against a school called Springs Valley. They had a kid named Larry Bird. He wasn't overly impressive when I saw him but he was okay. At the time I think he was maybe 6-3 or 6-4.

The point is this Brown boy could be another Grant Gelon. I don't want to think so because I'd love to see some kid from down in the boondocks make it on the big stage. And coming from a similar place, despite my reservations I'm cheering for him big-time

I just looked at the schedule Blackford plays. Several teams from my home high school's (Union Rockets, Modoc, Indiana, roughly 200 kids in 4 grades) conference (MEC), including Randolph Southern, Monroe Central and Muncie Burris. Never in all my years of watching basketball at that level (including years working for a newspaper in Richmond and covering such games) did I ever see a D1 player emerge from a small school.
There was one exception when I moved to Bloomington and covered a game against a school called Springs Valley. They had a kid named Larry Bird. He wasn't overly impressive when I saw him but he was okay. At the time I think he was maybe 6-3 or 6-4.
The point is this Brown boy could be another Grant Gelon. I don't want to think so because I'd love to see some kid from down in the boondocks make it on the big stage. And coming from a similar place, despite my reservations I'm cheering for him big-time

Yeah, from what little I have seen, this kid has some skills. We will really start to see this next AAU season. Is he an EG or Elite player? The AAU competition should start to pick up for him now. I see some young Jason Williams in him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I believe 5'10" is what I've seen but since he's just a freshman, still could add a little more height.

At the start of the season he was 5'9 and is now 5'11 and his doctor's think he will be 6'2 or 6'3. I watched him 8 or 9 times in the Metro Indy League and his first game when he played Cowan. The kid will be a D1 player and will take off playing for Indiana Elite this summer. For anyone that doesn't want to drive to Blackford to see him Blackford plays at Daleville High School in February. Daleville's sophomore pg isn't a D1 kid but will be 1 of the better pg matchups that Luke will have this season. 

I just watched film on Luke from last week and he looks bigger now than he did in the November so that seems to back up the claims that he has grown. The kid's shooting stroke looks quicker and smoother than it did then too which is kind of crazy.  The kid needs about an inch to get a shot off.

11 games - 315 pts.

https://blackfordathletics.com/2018/01/20/bruins-battle-frankton-come-up-short/

In front of the largest crowd in years at BHS, possibly since 2002, the Bruins hosted CIC leading Frankton and came up on the short end 71-49. Although the score indicates otherwise, the game was tight through much of the first three quarters before the Eagles blew it open late in the third.

Luke Brown,  still fighting leg issues, had an off-night shooting going 8-18 from the field but the Eagles get much credit for that by hounding him throughout the night to make him earn his points.

Despite the obstacles, Brown still managed 20 points and 4 assists. JD Hoover, fighting the flu the past two days, followed with another double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Tyler Cagle chipped in 6 points and collected 2 rebounds. Brandon Stroble added 4 points and 4 boards.