Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Rico

Pack line defense..

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

They are doing it correctly. Besides we do have the 40th rated defense. 

Well then we better get busy on the pack line offense.  But our D has been killing us.

I watched UVA absolutely "Michigan" Notre Dame in South Bend today.  Why does their pack line look so much better than ours?

A coach spending years recruiting for, teaching, and refining his system.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I watched UVA absolutely "Michigan" Notre Dame in South Bend today.  Why does their pack line look so much better than ours?

Experience, trust, and discipline are a few. We don’t have much of any of that right now. I don’t believe Bennet had when he first got to UVA either and his teams struggled. It’ll get there even if some fans don’t believe it because their pride is hurt.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

bennett is in his 10th year at UVA. 10 years to recruit and build his program. Juniors and Seniors that have been in the system and can teach the freshman and sophomores along with the coaches.
Bennett’s first 2 years at UVA his defense was in the 70’s

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

I think putting the ball through the basket would make the defense better. I don’t think the defense is all that terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well if Michigan would hit have their open shots we would have got beat by 50.

Edited by Rico

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Our defense isn't even bad. I'm not sure where the criticism of it is coming from... We lose games because we can't score, not because we can't make stops. 

Giving up open 3's?

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Our defense isn't even bad. I'm not sure where the criticism of it is coming from... We lose games because we can't score, not because we can't make stops. 

We give up a ton of open 3s and layups. We’ve been fortunate that most teams aren’t capitalizing on it

Just now, VO5 said:

We give up a ton of open 3s and layups. We’ve been fortunate that most teams aren’t capitalizing on it

I am with ya man.  That is the way I see it.

I would argue if the defense could cause a few more turnovers or grab boards and get out in transition we’d score a few more points. We have players thinking and not playing naturally. Part of that is on the coaching staff and part is on the players for being in LaLa land.

Edit: the collective IQ of this team isn’t great either.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would argue if the defense could cause a few more turnovers or grab boards and get out in transition we’d score a few more points. We have players thinking and not playing naturally. Part of that is on the coaching staff and part is on the players for being in LaLa land.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I completely agree.  Seems like we have players that don't seem to care.

I completely agree.  Seems like we have players that don't seem to care.

I would agree we have a few. I’d much prefer to have a handful of players that show some giveadamn and pull those others along than what we currently see. It seems that Juwan only flexes when he’s scoring down low. Why isn’t our senior captain getting into these guys. We have a culture of “being cool” over playing hard. That’s not how Archie played the game and I don’t think that attitude will last long in this program.

Hopefully, JMo will take this embarrassment and do something with it. Hopefully, Al will continue to show emotion and it’ll rub off on others. Hopefully, this becomes Phin’s team and he’ll hold players accountable.

There needs to be a culture overhaul and that will help with other things, including the defense.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

So despite all metrics that show opponents not scoring well on us our defense is bad. Lol. 

The most points we have given up is 78 in big ten play. That’s the most against good quality competition. Is it elite yet no. But neither was Virginia’s in year 2. Or 3. In fact ours is better than Virginia’s in year 3. And that was top 10 in year 4.