Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Rico

Pack line defense..

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So despite all metrics that show opponents not scoring well on us our defense is bad. Lol. 

The most points we have given up is 78 in big ten play. That’s the most against good quality competition. Is it elite yet no. But neither was Virginia’s in year 2. Or 3. In fact ours is better than Virginia’s in year 3. And that was top 10 in year 4. 

At the end of the day, you got to outscore the opponent.  Metrics aside, IU gives up a lot of open 3's and jams.  

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

At the end of the day, you got to outscore the opponent.  Metrics aside, IU gives up a lot of open 3's and jams.  

You can say it all you want but teams aren’t shooting very well against us. So despite all evidence to the contrary I guess you think this team is lucky. 

Well if Michigan would hit have their open shots we would have got beat by 50.
I just saw marqutte who is now now 17-3. I cannot believe we blew them ot but i guess we had our super bowl of shooting night. They would probably beat us by 25 now

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

I just saw marqutte who is now now 17-3. I cannot believe we blew them ot but i guess we had our super bowl of shooting night. They would probably beat us by 25 now

It is kind of funny....depending on what happens over the week-end.  Marquette very well might be in the Top Ten and Louisville in the Top 15.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

But you can't just say "metrics aside". The numbers show that we aren't a bad defensive team. Do you have numbers that suggest that we are? We don't outscore our opponents because we can't score. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter how good your defense is, when you only score 46, 66, 55 and 51 points in your last four games you're going to struggle to win. If we were even just an average offensive team we probably would've won several of the last few games.

The defense isn't a finished product yet. There's a lot of room to improve. But, despite all the room for growth, we're still a pretty good defensive team. That should be encouraging as a fan. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But you can't just say "metrics aside". The numbers show that we aren't a bad defensive team. Do you have numbers that suggest that we are? We don't outscore our opponents because we can't score. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter how good your defense is, when you only score 46, 66, 55 and 51 points in your last four games you're going to struggle to win. If we were even just an average offensive team we probably would've won several of the last few games.

The defense isn't a finished product yet. There's a lot of room to improve. But, despite all the room for growth, we're still a pretty good defensive team. That should be encouraging as a fan. 

Who said I was discouraged?

I know the most important metric.

12-8

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Who said I was discouraged?

I know the most important metric.

12-8

You've said "our defense has been killing us". That sounds like you're discouraged. And you haven't offered anything to back up your claim that our defense has been killing us other than your eye test. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You've said "our defense has been killing us". That sounds like you're discouraged. And you haven't offered anything to back up your claim that our defense has been killing us other than your eye test. 

Heck, Archie has been saying that.

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/2019/01/24/indiana-basketball-looks-to-turn-defense-into-offense-against-michigan/

And in conference play we rank 9th in giving up points per possession.  

Edited by Rico

It is kind of funny....depending on what happens over the week-end.  Marquette very well might be in the Top Ten and Louisville in the Top 15.
Beyond depressing. Total train wreck.

I talked about this in another thread. The open 3s are what drive me nuts. If we are fortunate to make the tournament again some day , the lack of perimeter awareness is going to hurt. March madness is all about drilling the 3 ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I talked about this in another thread. The open 3s are what drive me nuts. If we are fortunate to make the tournament again some day , the lack of perimeter awareness is going to hurt. March madness is all about drilling the 3 ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Both Purdue and Michigan shot less than 35% from 3. Northwestern shot 42% but most cause one guy went ham. The rest of the team went for less than 25%. Sometimes players just have a hot hand. 

Depressed over a game? I'm not happy, but I'm not depressed. Way too many more important things

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You think im actually saying i am clinically depressed??? Its a figure of speech. Geez.

Come on people, IU could have held them to 50       And guess what, they still lose. Offense is entire problem. They are just as bad offensively with Miller as they were in the past with Crean defensively. I am starting to wonder if the offensive problems might even be a little worse. I hope you arent hoping for improvement next year with recruits helping. I watched Cathedral play my high school team last year and had NO IDEA there was even a division 1 player on the floor. I am not going to even talk about Davis - watched him against Westview in New Castle and that was a total joke. Mcdonalds all-american???????!!!!!

41 minutes ago, connchr71 said:

Come on people, IU could have held them to 50       And guess what, they still lose. Offense is entire problem. They are just as bad offensively with Miller as they were in the past with Crean defensively. I am starting to wonder if the offensive problems might even be a little worse. I hope you arent hoping for improvement next year with recruits helping. I watched Cathedral play my high school team last year and had NO IDEA there was even a division 1 player on the floor. I am not going to even talk about Davis - watched him against Westview in New Castle and that was a total joke. Mcdonalds all-american???????!!!!!

DOOOOMMMMMM GLOOOOOOMMMMMM RUN TO THE HILLLSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not worried about the packline. When our guys give effort we are pretty good on D. But, that only happens for about 10 minutes a game.

You gotta imagine the constant failure on the offensive end and inability to take a lead affects our defense. Defense is mental and effort - those things take a beating when things look impossible for 40 straight minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app