Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Michigan - IUBB Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Here's an alternate view that has some merit. It's from an email list that I participate in focused on IU athletics...

It has a lot of merit. The only issue, next year without Morgan will likely be ugly. Not sure they will give Archie that much time (they suggest 3 more years). 

Archie better be looking hard for shooters be it transfers, jucos, or whatever.

Archie isn’t going anywhere for a few years (if he doesn’t work out), so people need to just chill and accept that we have a flawed team right now that’s undergoing multiple transitions simultaneously. As long as he keeps bringing in talent and rebuilds relationships with long-neglected Indiana pipelines, I’m quite indifferent to how this season ultimately plays out. I obviously want us to win, which we actually were at times this year, but we need to focus on this long term. If Archie can reel in multiple classes with talent, either he’s going to start winning with them or (hopefully) the next guy will actually inherit some talent for the first time in a while here. 

I’m concerned about several things right now, but I saw enough last year from how he ran his sets that I’m inclined to give him a pass on what’s going on right now. 

To be honest, I really can’t believe the lack of perspective, foresight, or self-awareness a lot of our “world’s best” fans are displaying with this whole thing. This wasn’t a good team the year before he came here (hence why the job was open to begin with), they were severely flawed last year largely due to the roster he inherited and was limited due to APR considerations, and our “quick fix” remedy is a bunch of injured and now fatigued freshmen. This was going to take some time before it got better. 

The last 20 years of Hoosier ineptitude is a sunk cost at this point, so people need to calm down. If recruiting dries up and there’s no improvement then he’ll be gone, but let the man breathe a bit and give him a chance to see this rebuild through. I’ve seen enough to see he is passionate about both coaching here and fixing the issues with this team. He only has one upperclassman setting any kind of example for the new guys, which is a difficult thing to overcome as well. 

Anyone who thinks Archie isn’t holding these guys accountable is severely mistaken, and you can’t go by those scripted sound bite “in the huddle” shots ESPN tries to get every game. I sat behind the bench during last year’s Iowa game and when Iowa went on a run in the second half to make the game close, I got a good view of him wholeheartedly ripping the team to shreds for their lack of effort. It paralleled Knight’s best day in all honesty, and it did the trick in getting the team to rally. I decided not to post it on youtube or anything because he didn’t need any conjecture or criticism thrown his way if it caught enough views.

Personally, I think Archie still feels like a guest in Bloomington right now, so hopefully as his time accumulates with us that side comes out a bit more. This guy hates losing as much as Saban. I just wish he’d show it some more at some point.

It has a lot of merit. The only issue, next year without Morgan will likely be ugly. Not sure they will give Archie that much time (they suggest 3 more years). 
Archie better be looking hard for shooters be it transfers, jucos, or whatever.

Where is he going? The depressed fans on here will still be depressed but, thankfully, they don’t have a lot of say in what goes on with the head coach. Next year I could see us struggling a bit with youth and inexperience but should see a little better effort and giveadamn. The following season I could see us breaking out with most of the important pieces returning with experience and talent. (Durham, Phin, Hunter, Jackson-Davis, Franklin, and Brooks)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

How did the administration save money? Archie is the 10th-highest paid coach in the country. He's making $3.2 million a year. And from No. 10 to No. 5 (Izzo), there isn't that much of a jump -- from $3.2 mil to $3.65 mil. Then it jumps to $4.7 mil at No. 4 (Self, Kansas). 

Maybe Archie was the right choice, maybe not. I still think he can be an excellent coach. But money isn't the issue here. ... Now if you wanna talk football and being cheap, that's another story ... 
Wow i will say we do always pay. Crean was 6th highest paid.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

We cut corners with facilities too. Archie had to ask for a decent locker room when he got here. What we had was embarrassing. IU nickels and dimes and the compliance and academic departments are outright hostile toward athletics. The culture has to change for the program to be successful.

How's the academic department outright hostile toward athletics?

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Where is he going? The depressed fans on here will still be depressed but, thankfully, they don’t have a lot of say in what goes on with the head coach. Next year I could see us struggling a bit with youth and inexperience but should see a little better effort and giveadamn. The following season I could see us breaking out with most of the important pieces returning with experience and talent. (Durham, Phin, Hunter, Jackson-Davis, Franklin, and Brooks)

he's not going anywhere this year. i'm not an AM hater. i've actually preached patience. i just don't see him here for 3 more years without significant improvement. i don't see him here past year 4 with the same type of results. 

relevant to play, we don't have shooters. and we don't really have shooters coming in next year except Franklin, whom I don't see carrying the team. i just don't see the O being good enough next year. i'd love to be wrong. perhaps the year after if Franklin develops and we land a 20 shooter like Leal and others. It's just hard to envision success 2 years away......

4 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Here's an alternate view that has some merit. It's from an email list that I participate in focused on IU athletics...

And to add to this Juwan has benefited from playing on three really bad teams. He'd be a third or fourth option on a good team. I said earlier in the season that this team wasnt any better than last year except for Romeo and its shows. If Langford doesnt score 20 plus points we really suck.

he's not going anywhere this year. i'm not an AM hater. i've actually preached patience. i just don't see him here for 3 more years without significant improvement. i don't see him here past year 4 with the same type of results. 
relevant to play, we don't have shooters. and we don't really have shooters coming in next year except Franklin, whom I don't see carrying the team. i just don't see the O being good enough next year. i'd love to be wrong. perhaps the year after if Franklin develops and we land a 20 shooter like Leal and others. It's just hard to envision success 2 years away......

That’s the year I see as the breakout year unless we somehow land some grad transfers that can play.

Al has improved as a shooter. I think as a senior he’ll be able to spread the floor.
Smith can shoot when he’s not falling to one side or leaning back.
Phin is a solid shooter and will improve. As a junior he’ll be able to hit the open jumper.
Anderson will, hopefully, learn to play defense and see more time on the floor.
Hunter should be able to hit the open jumper as a junior.
Franklin should contribute a bit as a sophomore and hit the open jumper.
Brooks should be able to do the same.

The team will look a lot different and the program will be on an upward trajectory. If he doesn’t get it done that year I could see things going south. However, I firmly believe that will be the year we excel and will see then if we can sustain that success under Arch and co.

He will get four years but next year almost seems like year one given we will not have hardly any returners who played alot. Three maybe.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

That’s the year I see as the breakout year unless we somehow land some grad transfers that can play.

Al has improved as a shooter. I think as a senior he’ll be able to spread the floor.
Smith can shoot when he’s not falling to one side or leaning back.
Phin is a solid shooter and will improve. As a junior he’ll be able to hit the open jumper.
Anderson will, hopefully, learn to play defense and see more time on the floor.
Hunter should be able to hit the open jumper as a junior.
Franklin should contribute a bit as a sophomore and hit the open jumper.
Brooks should be able to do the same.

The team will look a lot different and the program will be on an upward trajectory. If he doesn’t get it done that year I could see things going south. However, I firmly believe that will be the year we excel and will see then if we can sustain that success under Arch and co.

count me in believe-it-when-i-see-it category. again, i want AM to get a chance to recruit his players, and develop his players. losing your two best players (two best by a huge margin) will be rough next year. if people hate our O now, just wait lol. anyway, there's nothing more than i'd like to see as Archie succeed. But it's looking like a long and rough road.

Edited by Irish YJ

If there is one thing I love about these fan forums it is the "ifs and buts, and candies and nuts"

Stick around and you’ll come to love the, “if x doesn’t happen this year, y deserves z” statements. They’re great!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Stick around and you’ll come to love the, “if x doesn’t happen this year, y deserves z” statements. They’re great!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I prefer to think of it as "Don't put the cart before the horse"!  I think Bill Shakespeare said that or maybe it was Socrates. Maybe Plato.  Those guys were ballers.