Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ViaSwiss

Context on the first 2 seasons of a few top cbb coaches

We have one winner on the court in robert and one guy who plays great basketball and gives great effort most of the time in morgan. The rest of our guys just don't have what it takes at this time imo. Al is a honorable mention. We need more guys to be consistent and play good night in and night out. Everything falls on archie as it should but i hope this isn't his ideal roster. Robert is the type of player he needs to recruit more of to be successful i dont care how many stars they have

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Gotta get rid of the Crean players before Archie will find a solid groove. This year other than Juwan Morgan, the best players on our team have been freshman. I just keep thinking how good a junior Phinisee and Senior Durham and Senior Smith. Then throw in Archie recruiting classes which so far each has included a 5 star and a 4 star prospect. Give the man some time to build it, everybody’s so impatient. Two years from now we could have one of the premier rosters in the country through development and recruiting imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I thought smith was a crean recruit? You just said we need to get rid of crean players

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Williams inherited a roster that included three first-round NBA draft picks. I'm guessing that helped a little. 

People are claiming Archie’s issue isnt about talent it’s about fit for the system. They were recruited for a different system. 

10 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Regardless, by year 3 a lot of these guys changed things around. Year 3 will be huge. 

I think by year 3 he'll have 2 recruiting classes on the court and another recruiting class on deck. Also, the holdover players will have 1) graduated, 2) decided there are greener pastures elsewhere and moved on or 3) if still at IU they will be completely bought in. 

By the END of year 3 I think there will be a pretty clear picture of the trajectory of the program. 

People are claiming Archie’s issue isnt about talent it’s about fit for the system. They were recruited for a different system. 
I see where you are coming from but in this case it’s the same system. Williams was an assistant under Smith. Carolina has ran the same system and secondary break they have always ran since Smith. It was a perfect transition for Williams moving from Kansas to North Carolina since he basically ran it at Kansas

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I thought smith was a crean recruit? You just said we need to get rid of crean players

He was a Crean recruit but never played for him. Never got any of the Crean habits. Archie still has gotten the chance to develop them from day one on campus. So yeah if you want to consider them “Crean” players then sure but the junior class (2016) wasn’t good. Deron is the best player, even with the injuries, CuJo transfered, Green and then Gelon who transferred, but those were the freshman on campus. You’re supposed to get the most out of your Juniors and Seniors and we haven’t the past 2 seasons. Morgan is the only player left from the 2015 class, he’s doing his best but the 2016 class having nothing and 2017 not having a PG to lead or a guard that can score or any true scorer in the class puts a lot of pressure on inexperienced players playing their first season in a hard B10.

He was a Crean recruit but never played for him. Never got any of the Crean habits. Archie still has gotten the chance to develop them from day one on campus. So yeah if you want to consider them “Crean” players then sure but the junior class (2016) wasn’t good. Deron is the best player, even with the injuries, CuJo transfered, Green and then Gelon who transferred, but those were the freshman on campus. You’re supposed to get the most out of your Juniors and Seniors and we haven’t the past 2 seasons. Morgan is the only player left from the 2015 class, he’s doing his best but the 2016 class having nothing and 2017 not having a PG to lead or a guard that can score or any true scorer in the class puts a lot of pressure on inexperienced players playing their first season in a hard B10.

I get that. Durham never played for crean either bur people keep calling them crean players.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:44 PM, jonz44 said:

I think by year 3 he'll have 2 recruiting classes on the court and another recruiting class on deck. Also, the holdover players will have 1) graduated, 2) decided there are greener pastures elsewhere and moved on or 3) if still at IU they will be completely bought in. 

By the END of year 3 I think there will be a pretty clear picture of the trajectory of the program. 

Yep

Knight won in 2 years, Davis won in 2 years, Sampson won in 2 years.....now I give Crean a pass because of the mess he walked into.  

I get that Archie his implementing his system and it will take some time for a "buy in".  That just ain't the players...it goes for the fan base as well.

Knight won in 2 years, Davis won in 2 years, Sampson won in 2 years.....now I give Crean a pass because of the mess he walked into.  
I get that Archie his implementing his system and it will take some time for a "buy in".  That just ain't the players...it goes for the fan base as well.

One of the *** problems with that is people thinking they should have hired coach X which would have definitely turned it around by now. Some posters are even more stubborn than the players buying in to the new system.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

One of the *** problems with that is people thinking they should have hired coach X which would have definitely turned it around by now. Some posters are even more stubborn than the players buying in to the new system.

Oh yeah, I see that all the time.  Marshall, Holtmann, etc...  And of coarse you have the maniacs that say it should have been Donovan or Stevens.  

Stubborn? Our posters? What?

To be honest, I get tired of K being brought up in these kind of topics.  He took over a team that before he got there had a heckuva 3 year run.  Duke had made the EE before he got there.  They did make the NIT his first year, but there were pieces there and he did well with them.  But he went to Duke at the absolute wrong time.  The ACC was stacked and it was only an 8 team league.  81........UNC and Virginia made it to FF.  82.....UNC wins the title.  83......NC State wins the title.  Heck, we beat UNC in 84 but fell to UVA in the EE.

It's the era of instant gratification. If it doesn't happen right away, do something different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It's the era of instant gratification. If it doesn't happen right away, do something different.

To play the Devil's advocate here....the coaches are making millions.  When you are getting paid that kind of cash how should the fan base react?  

Archie is paid top ten money just like crean was. I guess to me if he was getting paid half what he was its realistic to not expect as much.