Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ViaSwiss

Context on the first 2 seasons of a few top cbb coaches

Roy Williams won a NC his second year. Kelvin Sampson had us in top 10 mix. 
This idea that it's irrational to expect good ball in your second season with only 1 recruiting class is just nonsense. 
Good point. Sampson was 21-8 in the big ten before he was fired and had only one recruiting class so far. He was scummy but the guy could coach.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

These responses make me chuckle as well. I have never expressed any desire to can Archie. I will give him a chance to stack recruiting classes and have four-year veterans in his system before I reach any definitive conclusions. But I can and will express dissatisfaction with how the Archie era has progressed so far, even as I watch and hope that Archie will be able to right the ship.

Nothing wrong with expressing displeasure with the current state of things, I just took you comment as so due to the overall jest of the thread before hand of blowing up the system 2 yrs in because of mediocre play. I am all for giving Archie a chance, but if he is not the right fit then fine, move on, however,  he still needs to have his chance. What frustrates me more than anything now is yes we are playing poorly, I know its an understatement, but go on any social media plat form and you'll see many calling for the coaches head tagging the basketball and school accounts, and also bashing the players. To top that off there are still several saying can Archie and hire Alford, wtf, really? I guess he didn't prove that he's not a good coach at UCLA and has to be hired here to make sure that he isn't a good coach! I personally think the rabid part of the fanbase needs to push the keyboard or phone away, take a damn breath, and let the coach do his thing. If it bothers them so much that we basically suck at the moment, then find something else to do. I mean what did they actually expect this year with the returning players from last season and one star freshman? Time to definitely temper expectations and quit looking for that instant gratification!

2 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

As is the idea that judging a coach off 2 years is premature. It goes both ways

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s fair to “judge” or comment that it is disappointing that we often do not show up for the start of a game and/or only play hard 10-20 minutes a game after 1 1/2 years. I don’t care what system it is or that his mystical defense apparently takes 3 years to learn (on a side note does that also mean incoming freshman will not know the defense until they are seniors?)......get the guys to play hard and consistently show effort.

I say this in the context of really, really wanting him to succeed.

Posts like the OP do make me chuckle. Great examples, sure, but now do all the coaches who were mediocre during their first two seasons and never became elite. Should be plenty of those to find, you could start with the coach who beat us last night. 
Exactly

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Roy Williams won a NC his second year. Kelvin Sampson had us in top 10 mix. 

This idea that it's irrational to expect good ball in your second season with only 1 recruiting class is just nonsense. 

Williams inherited a roster that included three first-round NBA draft picks. I'm guessing that helped a little. 

I’m guessing the fans at those places were concerned about flaws in the system as well

Quit with the logic. That's not allowed in here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Williams inherited a roster that included three first-round NBA draft picks. I'm guessing that helped a little. 

More logic. Decourcey nailed on B1G and Beyond Sunday. We aren't even to 2nd base in the rebuild with the new coach.

That doesn't mean I'm happy with our play the last 5 games, but I'm not calling for his job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

True.  I have to remind myself just how empty the cupboard was when CAM was hired (or shortly there after).

I can think of a coach who would have almost certainly had us in a better position last season and this, a coach who has done so every place he's been.  He also would have been gone in just a few years.  That coach: Larry Brown.

My point is that even a coach who comes in and performs a miracle can be a bad hire. Archie is rebuilding the team and will be given several more seasons.

Probably about as many times as people posting he should be gone after 3 years if he doesn’t make the tournament ad nauseam. I guess the point some of you are trying to make is that after the 3rd year you want to blow it up and restart again. Lol. Correct?

And then win the B1G in year one.

As Ive said before we HAVE to cycle these Crean players out and Archie has to get it done recruiting. He brought in one class so far and it was pretty good.

Second class already has a 5* and another 4 year foundational guard.

Why would we want to pull the plug on this?! Recruiting alone is validates him retaining his job at this point.

True.  I have to remind myself just how empty the cupboard was when CAM was hired (or shortly there after).
I can think of a coach who would have almost certainly had us in a better position last season and this, a coach who has done so every place he's been.  He also would have been gone in just a few years.  That coach: Larry Brown.
My point is that even a coach who comes in and performs a miracle can be a bad hire. Archie is rebuilding the team and will be given several more seasons.
While that is true he better start winning big next season or he will lose the fan base

52 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Larry Brown also would've had us on NCAA probation a year after he left! ... Remember after Crean was fired, the rumor that supposedly Brown floated the idea of he and Mike Woodson coming to B'town as a package deal? ... I really believe that when it comes to on-court basketball, Brown is one of the truly great coaches. But he never stays for more than a few years and as far as college goes, he's committed NCAA violations just about everywhere he's gone. 

While that is true he better start winning big next season or he will lose the fan base

No he won’t.

This fan base has proven they’ll yell loudly but never leave.

Gotta get rid of the Crean players before Archie will find a solid groove. This year other than Juwan Morgan, the best players on our team have been freshman. I just keep thinking how good a junior Phinisee and Senior Durham and Senior Smith. Then throw in Archie recruiting classes which so far each has included a 5 star and a 4 star prospect. Give the man some time to build it, everybody’s so impatient. Two years from now we could have one of the premier rosters in the country through development and recruiting imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners