Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ViaSwiss

Context on the first 2 seasons of a few top cbb coaches

1238689848_ScreenShot2019-01-23at10_32_57AM.png.87a2814b96d632dfcea7db5c58ab2e80.png
How many times is this going to be posted?? We already know this ad nauseam. The example has been used with every coach we have ever hired. I guess the point some of you are trying to make is next year will be the breakout season. Correct?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Probably about as many times as people posting he should be gone after 3 years if he doesn’t make the tournament ad nauseam. I guess the point some of you are trying to make is that after the 3rd year you want to blow it up and restart again. Lol. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow.  Since you put it that way, no thank you blowing it up!  I'm nauseous just thinking about it.

Just now, Maedhros said:

Posts like the OP do make me chuckle. Great examples, sure, but now do all the coaches who were mediocre during their first two seasons and never became elite. Should be plenty of those to find, you could start with the coach who beat us last night. 

The answer would obviously be no, however, how do you ever find that elite coach if you can everyone after 2 yrs trying to find that said elite coach.

Probably about as many times as people posting he should be gone after 3 years if he doesn’t make the tournament ad nauseam. I guess the point some of you are trying to make is that after the 3rd year you want to blow it up and restart again. Lol. Correct?

Honestly even though he should be gone after three with no tournament's we may as well keep him. We have tried this four times and at some point i guess you just have to accept reality of just being an average bug ten team.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just now, reconmkd said:

The answer would obviously be no, however, how do you ever find that elite coach if you can everyone after 2 yrs trying to find that said elite coach.

These responses make me chuckle as well. I have never expressed any desire to can Archie. I will give him a chance to stack recruiting classes and have four-year veterans in his system before I reach any definitive conclusions. But I can and will express dissatisfaction with how the Archie era has progressed so far, even as I watch and hope that Archie will be able to right the ship.

Roy Williams won a NC his second year. Kelvin Sampson had us in top 10 mix. 

This idea that it's irrational to expect good ball in your second season with only 1 recruiting class is just nonsense. 

To be fair he also had a Junior Sean May, Junior Rashad McCants, and Junior Raymond Felton on that team. If Archie came into those three as sophomores and missed the tourney our fan base would have went nuts. I honestly wish Sampson was able to recruit kids that wouldn’t have eventually cost us postseason bans with grades. He is by far the best in game coach we have had since Knight. He just can’t be the coach of a team in the spotlight.

This idea that it's irrational to expect good ball in your second season with only 1 recruiting class is just nonsense. 

There’s also a glaring similarity between the two coaches you just mentioned...

Helps when there is a coaching change and Freshman May, Felton, and McCants carry over to Roy’s first year. Any coach would love to walk into that situation but I agree with your point depending on situation it can be done early on. Winning early doesn’t always necessarily mean the coach is great. I pointed out before Gottfried at NC State made the tourney in his first 4 years. Doesn’t mean he is a good coach. He lost his job 2 years later and his coaching at some low major in California