Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bigred3588

Inclined to Give Archie a Break

This seems to contradict everything that is out there and that is a lot of folks biggest concern.

Dakich called Archie and the staff soft the other day and there are a lot of folks that agreed with that sentiment. Also, if you look at his recruits, they are just as soft and not blue collar as Creans decaying leftovers.

Not a whole lot seems to have changed in the last year and a half in regards to being gritty and hard nosed, maybe even regressed in that category

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t think you can call CAM’s recruits soft. Romeo is probably the softest one outside of Anderson. Romeo was a have to recruit guy and Anderson isn’t an impact freshman so yeah he will be soft but that’s almost expected. I don’t think you can call Rob, Jake, Race, or Jerome soft at this point in time and have any kind of validity to it.

That is a whole lot of conjecture and wishful thinking on your part. First, Brooks has not committed. Second, we have never seen Hunter or Thompson play so it remains to be seen what they contribute.
Exactly. People need to be careful with hyping guys up a year in advance. I used to do it but after the movement disaster I realized you better wait and see them on the court first. I got caught up in hanner being ranked a five star which he was until he was a senior. There were post like this before this season. Fitzner will start and spread the court. Anderson will come in and knock down threes. Niether happened.

Jarrett culver was ranked #312 on rivals and is now a top ten lottery pick.

Ja morant was a 2 star recruit and now a lottery pick. You just never know.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don’t think you can call CAM’s recruits soft. Romeo is probably the softest one outside of Anderson. Romeo was a have to recruit guy and Anderson isn’t an impact freshman so yeah he will be soft but that’s almost expected. I don’t think you can call Rob, Jake, Race, or Jerome soft at this point in time and have any kind of validity to it.

Romeo - talented as can be but soft
Demezi - not very good yet and soft
Evan - not very good and soft

Rob - tbd
Jake - tbd

Race - tbd
Jerome tbd

Not the most blue collar gritty bunch that is going to erase the soft that Crean brought in. The grittiest kid on the team is Juwan and he is a Crean recruit

10 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

This seems to contradict everything that is out there and that is a lot of folks biggest concern.

Dakich called Archie and the staff soft the other day and there are a lot of folks that agreed with that sentiment. Also, if you look at his recruits, they are just as soft and not blue collar as Creans decaying leftovers.

Not a whole lot seems to have changed in the last year and a half in regards to being gritty and hard nosed, maybe even regressed in that category

Well, IMO, there's your first mistake: accepting anything Dakich says as fact.  Last year CAM appeared to be resigned to what we were, but this year I've seen some more fire at both the players and officials.  We don't have to have a roster full of hard-nosed, run through a wall players, but we do need at least one to inspire, push, and lead the rest of the team.  That, we don't have, and is something we desperately need.

21 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Rob - tbd
Jake - tbd

Race - tbd
Jerome tbd

Not the most blue collar gritty bunch that is going to erase the soft that Crean brought in. The grittiest kid on the team is Juwan and he is a Crean recruit

And Juwan is a senior and I'm pretty sure he was soft as a freshman. Myself would only call Evan soft, I think Romeo takes a pounding at times. Demezi should still be a TBD but being around his high school games no one called him soft. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wouldn’t call Juwan soft. He was a warrior didn’t his shoulder pop out 4 times

During Crean's last year I remember telling myself I would love a team with 5 Juwans. Decent three and so smooth going to the rim. He's been our hardest working player since Yogi imo. 

And Juwan is a senior and I'm pretty sure he was soft as a freshman. Myself would only call Evan soft, I think Romeo takes a pounding at times. Demezi should still be a TBD but being around his high school games no one called him soft. 

Juwan defended and rebounded well his freshman year, all while playing through multiple separated shoulders. Literally popping it back in while on his knees and getting up and continuing to play.

That kid is tough and I am not surprised he has continued to get better every year to the point he will be in contention for all bigten honors

That is a whole lot of conjecture and wishful thinking on your part. First, Brooks has not committed. Second, we have never seen Hunter or Thompson play so it remains to be seen what they contribute.
Sure it is conjecture. It's also conjecture that we won't improve.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Rob - tbd
Jake - tbd

Race - tbd
Jerome tbd

I’d agree on Fitzner and Thompson but that’s about it. Softness, IMO, is apathy mixed with fear of physicality. A lack of confidence is not the same thing, and that’s what I see with Anderson. He clearly isn’t comfortable and you’re not going to see aggressive play from a guy that feels out of place. That doesn’t mean he’s afraid to mix it up, it just means he’s afraid of making mistakes.

Romeo has no problem putting his head down and driving into the paint. He rebounds and makes hustle plays as well. He doesn’t back down from physical play, he just hasn’t adjusted to certain aspects e.g. fighting through screens. Not unusual for a freshman. And I don’t think he’s apathetic either. He’s very good at maintaining composure but he has let the mask slip in the past. I remember it happening a couple times his senior year and it was clear the kid doesn’t like losing.

As far as Rob goes, I don’t see where you can come up with TBD. I can understand questioning Romeo and Damezi, but everything I’ve seen from RP screams leader. He’s on the smaller side and obviously has no problem going at the rim (even when it’s I’ll advised). And how many freshman do you see that don’t hesitate to take the big shot late in a game? I’m not just talking about Butler; we’ve gotten a couple other wins that turned on a clutch shot from Rob. Hell, the only time I’ve gotten annoyed with Rob was the final play of the Arkansas game and that was because he was too aggressive.

Jerome can obviously be labeled TBD but his high school career was promising. He had some of his best games against guys that were ranked more highly. Some might look at that as playing down to the competition but he never really laid any eggs. To me, that’s the sign of a competitor.

I agree with almost all of what BigRed said.

The one glaring difference in opinions is that Juwan wasn’t cut out for a leadership role. I strongly disagree on that point. Juwan’s mother was a drill sergeant in the Army, which makes me think he might have leadership in his DNA. He also seems to show a ton of leadership on the court in my opinion...and winning gold jerseys in practice shows he leads by example too.

On the topic of leadership, I’m guessing  Phinisee becomes the one who shows the most leadership as early as next year...after Juwan departs. He already has it in him, and as the true point guard on the roster, he plays a position that makes him even more fitting for such a role. 

I also agree with BigRed’s assessment of Jerome’s promise (barring any longstanding health concerns). Don Fischer had said on the radio that Hunter was the second best player on the court in all the practices he watched early on.