Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bigred3588

Inclined to Give Archie a Break

Yep my wife and friends were planning a get away that weekend and going to the Michigan st game was a option. I said no way because I will be mad and ruin the weekend lol. So we got a cabin in Ohio and my wife said we can go watch the game at a bar but i seriously think i can probably miss that game cause nothing good going to happen there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

We usually lose by 20 plus and have won there maybe once in the last 30 years. Last year we lost by 28. The year before that by 29.Im suppose to go to the iu at minnesota game but if the wheels keep falling off i may pull out. It would be to painful watching the Minnesota fans go nuts. The bar seems like a more calming option.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

We usually lose by 20 plus and have won there maybe once in the last 30 years. Last year we lost by 28. The year before that by 29.Im suppose to go to the iu at minnesota game but if the wheels keep falling off i may pull out. It would be to painful watching the Minnesota fans go nuts. The bar seems like a more calming option.

Twice in 30 years. We didn’t play them during 92-93, but definitely not a friendly place to watch a game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Twice in 30 years. We didn’t play them during 92-93, but definitely not a friendly place to watch a game.

I know we beat them with zeller once. When was the other one? I cannot remember. I think thats the last big the last arena i would want to watch an iu game at. The place sounds insane.

I haven't coached so I will not claim to know x's and o's but I do know that if you don't make shots you make it very hard on yourself to be in a position to win and have confidence doing it. If you get down by 15??...forget it. As it has been mentioned in this thread, we have missed A LOT of open looks. Teams pack it in on us in the lane and we have no way to shoot out of it to compete. The only game we have been able to put together this year is when we played Marquette...9-20 (45%) from 3 and 35-55 (64%) overall. Make shots and we have a different offensive flow (more spacing and gaps in the defense) and different looking team (more confidence). Screenshot_20190123-184912_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I know we beat them with zeller once. When was the other one? I cannot remember. I think thats the last big the last arena i would want to watch an iu game at. The place sounds insane.

I believe we have won twice at the Breslin Center -- in 1991 (I was there) and 2012. 

Honestly if we had just 1 guy who could reliably hit 3pt shots, it would cover up a lot of holes and we wouldn't even be having these kinds of discussions.

We'd probably have 3 more wins and be 15-4, solidly in the top 15, and feeling pretty good about the future.

All he needs is a shooter.

7 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Was that Dayton team as bad as this IU team at 3s, effort, and free throws, etc? IMO he needs to make some changes to his coaching philosophie before he fields a team that can make it that far.  

That Dayton team only had one player that was ranked in the top 200 out of high school IIRC. If Miller can take that team to an Elite 8, I think he can replicate it with better players. And I think that’s exactly what he’s doing with kids like Phinisee, Franklin, Anderson, etc... He’s establishing the foundation and culture he needs for his system to work. When you have upperclassmen like that and throw in a blue chip freshman or two, you have the recipe for success.

After year 3 in your opinion if he doesn’t make the tourney he should be fired? But if he makes the tourney let’s say squeaks in as an 11 seed and loses first game his job is safe just because he made the tourney?

I’ve never understood this logic either. I mentioned in the NW game thread last night that I think our current talent was misevaluated. This original post just strengthens my opinion.

I still think Archie deserves time to get a roster of his recruits and a 3-4 year cycle with them. I’ll get the pitchfork sharpened if there are still issues after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, maharkn said:

Need to see what race can do. I think moving him into the starting lineup in mcroberts place and take some rebounding stress off of juwan could help

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Glad Race is feeling better and hope he has a great career.  

That being said, Race was around for two games prior to his injury that consisted of a DNP against Chicago State and 4 minutes against Montana, which indicates he was not “ready” for minutes then, and he has subsequently been out for 10 weeks.  I highly doubt he starts and hope the posters do not have unrealistic expectations.  Hope he does great but not holding my breath.

I haven't coached so I will not claim to know x's and o's but I do know that if you don't make shots you make it very hard on yourself to be in a position to win and have confidence doing it. If you get down by 15??...forget it. As it has been mentioned in this thread, we have missed A LOT of open looks. Teams pack it in on us in the lane and we have no way to shoot out of it to compete. The only game we have been able to put together this year is when we played Marquette...9-20 (45%) from 3 and 35-55 (64%) overall. Make shots and we have a different offensive flow (more spacing and gaps in the defense) and different looking team (more confidence). Screenshot_20190123-184912_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.767252a3f1896913ddeb32a007f246b5.jpeg

Wow we actually made threes that game and fitzner had the game of his life.

9 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

That game really jacked up my expectations. Seems like a long time ago.

I had forgotten that we won without Green or McBob being able to play.

Some to me sound like they have unrealistic expectations of hunter. I mean the are really talking him up big time.

It's the only game where I feel like we were actually able to see what this offense and defense are capable of when the players execute. We were loaded with confidence in that game. Duke humbled us and it's been a struggle to gain confidence since.

Are we expecting a significantly better roster next year? 

Yes, absolutely. Next year we'll have a legit big in TJD, a pure scorer in Brooks, and a big guard who can actually shoot in Franklin, and don't forget we'll get Hunter back who is going to be a bulldog and will play harder than anyone on this current team and still a shot at Romeo coming back (more likely wishful thinking). Add in a more seasoned Phinisee running point, and hopeful Durham finally playing into a solid role and maybe just maybe Race will be over his concussion from hell...he's going to be a BIG contributor. So yeah we'll have a much better roster.

6 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

That is a whole lot of conjecture and wishful thinking on your part. First, Brooks has not committed. Second, we have never seen Hunter or Thompson play so it remains to be seen what they contribute.

I think the chemistry alone will be a major contribution. I don’t think a lot of people really understand how our scheme is supposed to work. It’s basically Crean’s offensive approach, but great team defense (not deflections) is supposed to trigger transition offense. The pack line can be highly effective but it relies on chemistry and is easily broken with a single weak link. Thompson and Hunter haven’t seen PT, but they will have a rapport with most of their teammates and have also practiced with them. 

This also amplifies the impact of our injuries. You’re forced to throw lineups on the floor that you wouldn’t otherwise use and expect them to play as a single cohesive unit. It simply won’t work as intended unless all 5 players have a firm grasp on their roles. At this point, our guys don’t. 

I really liked this quote from the Herald Times Jeremy Price. It's where I'm at after being around this team some.
The suspension of Devonte Green before Tuesday’s game perhaps only further punctuates the gap that still exists between the soft, decaying leftovers of the previous coaching regime and the necessary buy-in to Miller’s tougher, blue-collar approach.

This seems to contradict everything that is out there and that is a lot of folks biggest concern.

Dakich called Archie and the staff soft the other day and there are a lot of folks that agreed with that sentiment. Also, if you look at his recruits, they are just as soft and not blue collar as Creans decaying leftovers.

Not a whole lot seems to have changed in the last year and a half in regards to being gritty and hard nosed, maybe even regressed in that category

Yes, absolutely. Next year we'll have a legit big in TJD, a pure scorer in Brooks, and a big guard who can actually shoot in Franklin, and don't forget we'll get Hunter back who is going to be a bulldog and will play harder than anyone on this current team and still a shot at Romeo coming back (more likely wishful thinking). Add in a more seasoned Phinisee running point, and hopeful Durham finally playing into a solid role and maybe just maybe Race will be over his concussion from hell...he's going to be a BIG contributor. So yeah we'll have a much better roster.

Brooks has not committed and hunter is being hyped up with expectations he might not meet. We have never seen him play yet. As for romeo i looked at three mock drafts today and he is still listed in the top 10. Race only played 4 minutes in the two games he dressed. Way to many unknowns right now to say we will make a leap.