Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Amen Kent Sterling

Archie's teams at Dayton had many similar-looking players.  Long and athletic.  Sometimes good enough if the defense is great; but if they can't score?  A difficult way to win.  As much as I love defense, and I grew up with Bob Knight; his teams also led the Big Ten in scoring almost every season.  They got, and made good shots.  The long athletes I see on Indiana's teams cannot and do not make shots.  Granted, many are not Archie's recruits; but scoring 55 points doesn't win, and I couldn't care less about their ranking or efficiency.   

63, 51, and 55 points in the last 3 games while looking absolutely awful doing it simply needs to change immediately.  Archie needs to bring in kids who can make shots.  Kids who will sprint.  Kids who will buy in.  Romeo?  Glad we got him, but he just doesn't give maximum effort all the time.  Purdue did.  And won by 15.  It's just not that hard.  Given the way our team has looked for a couple of weeks and the suspensions, injuries, etc.....  This would be a great thing for the players and coaches to take into account.

http://kentsterling.com/2019/01/22/answer-for-archie-rebuilding-indiana-basketball-is-recruiting-to-a-specific-culture-iubb/

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Archie's teams at Dayton had many similar-looking players.  Long and athletic.  Sometimes good enough if the defense is great; but if they can't score?  A difficult way to win.  As much as I love defense, and I grew up with Bob Knight; his teams also led the Big Ten in scoring almost every season.  They got, and made good shots.  The long athletes I see on Indiana's teams cannot and do not make shots.  Granted, many are not Archie's recruits; but scoring 55 points doesn't win, and I couldn't care less about their ranking or efficiency.   

63, 51, and 55 points in the last 3 games while looking absolutely awful doing it simply needs to change immediately.  Archie needs to bring in kids who can make shots.  Kids who will sprint.  Kids who will buy in.  Romeo?  Glad we got him, but he just doesn't give maximum effort all the time.  Purdue did.  And won by 15.  It's just not that hard.  Given the way our team has looked for a couple of weeks and the suspensions, injuries, etc.....  This would be a great thing for the players and coaches to take into account.

http://kentsterling.com/2019/01/22/answer-for-archie-rebuilding-indiana-basketball-is-recruiting-to-a-specific-culture-iubb/

I think this article is exactly why we as a fan base should be patient (I know, shocking). We are only one recruiting class into Miller’s career here. As writers like Brian Snow at 247 noted, Miller couldn’t clean the slate when he came in due to APR issues the Crean staff left behind. Look at Miller’s first full class and you see majority long, athletic guys who look to be mostly 3-4 year players. Teams like Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, and Nebraska are experienced teams that build rosters and feature mostly upperclassmen. Yes all teams do benefit from the occasional 1 and done by the major points of the roster are experienced.

im just as frustrated as anyone. I’ve turned more games off this year than I have in the past but there have been improvements. I think the players Miller is recruiting bodes well. Time will only tell

27 minutes ago, Kepner said:

I think this article is exactly why we as a fan base should be patient (I know, shocking). We are only one recruiting class into Miller’s career here. As writers like Brian Snow at 247 noted, Miller couldn’t clean the slate when he came in due to APR issues the Crean staff left behind. Look at Miller’s first full class and you see majority long, athletic guys who look to be mostly 3-4 year players. Teams like Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, and Nebraska are experienced teams that build rosters and feature mostly upperclassmen. Yes all teams do benefit from the occasional 1 and done by the major points of the roster are experienced.

im just as frustrated as anyone. I’ve turned more games off this year than I have in the past but there have been improvements. I think the players Miller is recruiting bodes well. Time will only tell

I would agree 100% if I saw effort.   If I saw ball movement.  If I saw consequences for lack of effort and hustle.  If I saw Archie recruiting and landing shooters.  If I saw an offense that got good shots consistently.  Those things don't require specific players.   I do agree with you in principle, though.

26 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I would agree 100% if I saw effort.   If I saw ball movement.  If I saw consequences for lack of effort and hustle.  If I saw Archie recruiting and landing shooters.  If I saw an offense that got good shots consistently.  Those things don't require specific players.   I do agree with you in principle, though.

All of those are important but to me the “effort” component has been especially disappointing.

I’ve recently watched a couple of MSU games and have to give Izzy credit as, once again, his guys are relentless. It is fun to watch them aggressively hit the boards.

The article is just generic boilerplate. “Recruit to a specific culture.” “Hard work and grit.” Drivel. Unique amenities? Please. We all love AH as a Mecca. To 17 year olds, it’s a Big 10 arena. I’m not saying he isn’t correct. Kent just provides nothing new or insightful. If that took him more than 5 minutes to write, than it’s because he’s a slow typist. The really interesting part is the comments. 1 commenter writing that Juwan and Romeo are the only players worth a damn. The very next guy says they shouldn’t be playing because they’re just looking at the next level. Nothing but primal screams. 

We’ll see if Archie’s the guy. But I am 100% confident that the guy has a vision for the program. I’m sure it includes “hard work” and “grit”. Hopefully it also includes, ya know, shooters. 

Those things don't require specific players. 

I agree with you in principle as well, BUT...

It does require specific players. Crean is gone because of the issues you listed. He had a talent for finding talented players who often lacked the right attitude. I’m hoping Archie can find the right guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I agree with you in principle as well, BUT...

It does require specific players. Crean is gone because of the issues you listed. He had a talent for finding talented players who often lacked the right attitude. I’m hoping Archie can find the right guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Crean recruited with a shotgun.  It was common for him to have 40-50 offers outstanding.  He could get guys to say yes...but I always tired of people who called him a good recruiter.  He was actually awful at building teams.   And as you said, some of his guys are guilty of bad attitudes and low basketball IQ.   That said, I'm watching us walk the ball up the floor and get no good shots unless we dump it to Juwon down low; then chuck something up with the shot clock at :02.   So far, Archie has convinced me of exactly nothing.