Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Devonte Green Suspension

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

I'm a believer in some cases.

Yeah, definitely in some cases.  But I have seen steps that wake up a kid out of his funk.  We shall see how this plays out.

14 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I'm not sure this is good news.  At all.

We have definitely played WORSE the last 2 games without him.... Hopefully he comes back with his mind in the right place, doesn't sulk, and tries to become the leader and shooter we desperately need.

Also saw De'Ron is not shut down for the season... supposed to have him back around Mid-February

As maddening as Green can be with his up and down play, a team as offensively challenged as Indiana needs his playmaking ability. I like Rob, but right now he's not a guy who can create his own shot or really attack the defense. He runs the offense well, but without solid offensive players, we need a spark on offense. I like playing both of them together. Outside of Morgan and Langford, Green is the only other guy on the team who can create out of structure. Considering that we don't have much structure right now, and what we do have has been ineffective, I think you have to take your chances that you'll get good Devonte. 

We've lost 6 games in a row. If we get good Devonte, we have a shot to win. If we get bad Devonte, we maybe lose by a few extra points, but it's still a loss. I know that's a bit simplistic, but we need a third guy to step up. Green probably won't be that guy, but I think he's the only one who has a chance to be.

If he indeed is coming back, I say: Bring it on. 

He frustrates the bejabbers out of me sometimes, but on the other hand, he has the ability to go off and hit 5 or 6 3-pointers. Who knows? Maybe when he returns, he knocks down a few from the outside and it catches on -- and others get hot, too. 

At this point, why not? We've lost six in a row and are still limited by injuries. We need the bodies. 

I know -- I'm grasping at straws, but when you've lost six in a row, you tend to do that. 

3 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

We have definitely played WORSE the last 2 games without him.... Hopefully he comes back with his mind in the right place, doesn't sulk, and tries to become the leader and shooter we desperately need.

Also saw De'Ron is not shut down for the season... supposed to have him back around Mid-February

We weren't worse at Northwestern without him.   We were against Michigan, but I would struggle saying it had anything to do with his being gone.    Yeah..he "tries to be the shooter we need," but he can't shoot.   We don't need kids trying to do what they can't do just to do it.  He's a 39% career shooter.  That's not good (and I rounded up).  His career A:TO ratio is barely 1:1.   He's just not a good player.  And I don't like his IQ or decision making.  I'd rather see Phinsee and Durham develop as a back court...and no, I don't want to see McRoberts either.   What I WOULD like to see is the recruitment of guards who can shoot and who have high basketball IQ.

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

We weren't worse at Northwestern without him.   We were against Michigan, but I would struggle saying it had anything to do with his being gone.    Yeah..he "tries to be the shooter we need," but he can't shoot.   We don't need kids trying to do what they can't do just to do it.  He's a 39% career shooter.  That's not good (and I rounded up).  His career A:TO ratio is barely 1:1.   He's just not a good player.  And I don't like his IQ or decision making.  I'd rather see Phinsee and Durham develop as a back court...and no, I don't want to see McRoberts either.   What I WOULD like to see is the recruitment of guards who can shoot and who have high basketball IQ.

Yeah I agree that we do not really play worse without him. Its just a simple fact that we are at a point where we need his body right now to give the other two a rest. I definitely want to see the bulk of the minutes go to Al and Rob, with him getting like 12 minutes a game. 

3 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

The Green hate on this board is so wild... He's not an invaluable piece, but would you rather see McRoberts playing 25 minutes a game? Outside of getting suspended for smoking pot, what evidence is there that he's a locker room problem? I could be wrong, but I'm guessing he's not the only guy on the team to have done this, but he got caught.

In the last 5 games, Rob is average 6 PPG and 1.5 APG on 26% shooting. You don't think it would be good to have another option at times? Rob's and Devonte's season stats are almost the same, with Rob averaging 0.5 less turnovers per game. Rob is more careful with the ball, but Devonte's carelessness is completely overblown too. He's not a great player, and I hope we have better options in the coming years, but right now he's better than the other bench guys we have.

I think it would be great to have other options.  I do not think it would be good if that option were Green.  He has "playmaking ability,"  but he also has "mistake making ability" and a horrible basketball IQ.  You're hamstringing the question by asking if I'd rather see McRoberts. Of course not.  Duh.  That's a leading question.  

I don't know how anyone can watch him and say his carelessness is overblown.  Bad shots are as harmful as turnovers, and he costs the team 5-6 possessions every game.  I will acknowledge he has been a little better lately, but he has also been slower and more deliberate, which bogs down our offense.   We just can't score lately...and there are many reasons.  I'm not convinced he helps any of those reasons.  He's better than McBob.  I'll grant that. And I'll also grant there are only 3 guards on scholarship; and for that I blame Crean and Archie.  

My problem with Green is that the team is struggling and needs leadership more than anything, and he goes and gets suspended for whatever reason. Just disappointing that he could have chosen to be part of a solution and didn't.

34 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think it would be great to have other options.  I do not think it would be good if that option were Green.  He has "playmaking ability,"  but he also has "mistake making ability" and a horrible basketball IQ.  You're hamstringing the question by asking if I'd rather see McRoberts. Of course not.  Duh.  That's a leading question.  

I don't know how anyone can watch him and say his carelessness is overblown.  Bad shots are as harmful as turnovers, and he costs the team 5-6 possessions every game.  I will acknowledge he has been a little better lately, but he has also been slower and more deliberate, which bogs down our offense.   We just can't score lately...and there are many reasons.  I'm not convinced he helps any of those reasons.  He's better than McBob.  I'll grant that. And I'll also grant there are only 3 guards on scholarship; and for that I blame Crean and Archie.  

I'm not hamstringing the question by asking about McBob. You said that getting Green back is not good news at all. If Green is not playing, then McBob is going to get a bunch of minutes. Sure it would be great to have other options, but there aren't any. Yes, that is the fault of Crean/Archie, but there's no fixing it now. Our roster is what it is. You can give Green or McRoberts 25 minutes, and Green is definitely the better option.

Green takes 7 shots a game. He misses 4 of them. Unless every shot he misses is a bad decision, then he's not burning many possessions. 

1 hour ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I'm not hamstringing the question by asking about McBob. You said that getting Green back is not good news at all. If Green is not playing, then McBob is going to get a bunch of minutes. Sure it would be great to have other options, but there aren't any. Yes, that is the fault of Crean/Archie, but there's no fixing it now. Our roster is what it is. You can give Green or McRoberts 25 minutes, and Green is definitely the better option.

Green takes 7 shots a game. He misses 4 of them. Unless every shot he misses is a bad decision, then he's not burning many possessions. 

You don't watch the same games I watch and if you're using an automatic "if/then," there's no having a conversation with you.  If you're asking would I rather have Green or McRoberts, the answer is Green, but that's you creating the point so you can argue against it.   "He's not burning any possessions" was comical.  Go IU

1 hour ago, Rico said:

We need Green.  The "bad" Devonte is better than the "good" McRoberts.

Doesn't help us win, though.  We can lose with the bad Green and we can lose with the good Green.  He's just a warm body.  We do need those, no question; but he is not at all the difference between winning and losing right now; and he's not part of any long term solution, so I don't think we "need" him at all.   We just "need" healthy players to field a team, but he's not a difference maker.

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Doesn't help us win, though.  We can lose with the bad Green and we can lose with the good Green.  He's just a warm body.  We do need those, no question; but he is not at all the difference between winning and losing right now; and he's not part of any long term solution, so I don't think we "need" him at all.   We just "need" healthy players to field a team, but he's not a difference maker.

Well, he is a better difference maker than McBob.