Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Devonte Green Suspension

On 1/30/2019 at 2:55 PM, JSHoosier said:

That's a bit of a loaded question.  Anyone would say Green, but him being suspended is not the reason this team is awful right now.  McRoberts is a walk-on energy guy and Fitzner isn't B1G caliber, but Green isn't good and we beat Marquette without him.

When was the last game where McRoberts brought in energy?  He kills the offense and with his back situation, his energy is limited.

"Energy" too often means "guy who sucks but tries hard".  Right now he's a guys can't move as well but tries hard for for an injured guy.

That TO in the final minute was terrible, but I think we can put to rest this notion that the team doesn't need Green. We do not win that game without him and likely aren't close. He was good on offense and defense and held his own against the Big 10 MVP favorite. Winston had 26 points but needed 22 shots.

Phinisee is definitely a more reliable player, but he's just not ready for the Big 10. Not surprising because he's a freshman, but he played 18 minutes with no points, no assists. The ceiling is much higher with Green, and hopefully he continues to play like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That TO in the final minute was terrible, but I think we can put to rest this notion that the team doesn't need Green. We do not win that game without him and likely aren't close. He was good on offense and defense and held his own against the Big 10 MVP favorite. Winston had 26 points but needed 22 shots.

Phinisee is definitely a more reliable player, but he's just not ready for the Big 10. Not surprising because he's a freshman, but he played 18 minutes with no points, no assists. The ceiling is much higher with Green, and hopefully he continues to play like this.

Green can be a maddening player. The good, then the bad. Possession by possession. It’s just what his game is. Last night it was a net positive- Thursday could be a different story. Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Smith and Green seem to be the epitome of Crean recruits. They can be outstanding or outstanding bad, sometimes in back to back possessions.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

They're both valuable role players, but Crean just did a poor job of finding guys to play over them. If I remember correctly, Green was around 250 on recruiting rankings. That's a bench player, and he would be a nice piece off the bench. Smith was ranked higher, but he would be excellent as a 6th/7th man. Smith is also really hurt by our lack of shooting. He could score more just with his athleticism if the floor was more spread out. But as it is, he's having to take guys off the dribble and score with skill, and he's not there yet. If you put him on the team Yogi's senior season I think he would score a lot off of cuts and putbacks because the D had to focus so much on shooters

Green has more experience but I still don’t think Rob has been right since his concussion. He used to drive to the hole and score on people. I think Rob will be just fine. No worries there.

Smith on the other hand will win us games and cost us some games. The only way that changes is if he stops shooting shots he can’t consistently make, and for me the biggest of them all, start going to the basket with two hands. Dunk the ball with two hands. You have a standing vertical leap of 48”s. Jump off both feet and slam layups home!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Since I've been hard on the kid, I'll respond to this.   Green made some timely and much needed shots yesterday. No doubt about it.   Brass nuggets and those plays were needed.  He also made a couple of nice passes and had 5 assists.  (Albeit on 2-3 we finally made jumpers or he and the rest of the team would ALL have more than they do)   He also quit on defense several times, had 4 turnovers - including the one late in regulation that could easily have cost the opportunity to win, and took a couple of bad shots.  

While it's true we don't win without him, it's also true we don't win if MSU doesn't miss 14 FT's.  It's also true we don't win for several other reasons.  Since he is one of our limited options, yes....we "need" him; but I don't want to confuse that with "he played well."  He didn't.    In fact, when the team watches film, his defense will be embarrassing.  

There's something off w Phinisee.  He's a different player than he was in December.  He was ready for Marquette, Louisville, and Butler and played great against Penn State.   I think it's something different than he's not ready for the Big Ten.  Something's just off.

Since I've been hard on the kid, I'll respond to this.   Green made some timely and much needed shots yesterday. No doubt about it.   Brass nuggets and those plays were needed.  He also made a couple of nice passes and had 5 assists.  (Albeit on 2-3 we finally made jumpers or he and the rest of the team would ALL have more than they do)   He also quit on defense several times, had 4 turnovers - including the one late in regulation that could easily have cost the opportunity to win, and took a couple of bad shots.  

While it's true we don't win without him, it's also true we don't win if MSU doesn't miss 14 FT's.  It's also true we don't win for several other reasons.  Since he is one of our limited options, yes....we "need" him; but I don't want to confuse that with "he played well."  He didn't.    In fact, when the team watches film, his defense will be embarrassing.  

There's something off w Phinisee.  He's a different player than he was in December.  He was ready for Marquette, Louisville, and Butler and played great against Penn State.   I think it's something different than he's not ready for the Big Ten.  Something's just off.

Did you notice in the Rutgers game it looked like the Rutgers player landed on his head again. I thought here we go again. His concussion was more serious then people wanted to think it was. On Archie’s radio show last week he said it was frustrating not remembering things and not be able to do things he could normally do. He said he was finally feeling himself and that was a month after it first one happened

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Did you notice in the Rutgers game it looked like the Rutgers player landed on his head again. I thought here we go again. His concussion was more serious then people wanted to think it was. On Archie’s radio show last week he said it was frustrating not remembering things and not be able to do things he could normally do. He said he was finally feeling himself and that was a month after it first one happened

I did notice that.  He's definitely been a different player since that concussion happened, hopefully we start seeing more of the player he was prior because he wasn't playing like a freshman against some pretty good teams.

49 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

No!  I didn't see that.  When did it happen??

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

No!  I didn't see that.  When did it happen??

In the first half.  He got up slowly initially and got up and got back on defense.  Looked like it bothered him but he didn’t come out.   When Archie was previewing Michigan St he mentioned rob should be fine and would play against Sparty

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

In the first half.  He got up slowly initially and got up and got back on defense.  Looked like it bothered him but he didn’t come out.   When Archie was previewing Michigan St he mentioned rob should be fine and would play against Sparty

Man, I whiffed that.    Not to speculate, but Rob was a complete non factor yesterday.  Had a good game against NW, but pretty pedestrian since his concussion.  It truly didn't look like a serious hit, but it was to the temple...   We need all hands on deck.... hope he snaps out of it.

Who do we need more? That’s the argument here? We’re trying to figure out if Greens absence held sway in the losing streak right? Or McBob playing? Or Fitzner over Jake & Moore? I think I know the answer. But it depends on what you are looking for. I’m looking for the best chance IU has to win a game. The best chance for sustained success, through fatigue, through foul trouble, through every conceivable offensive and defensive challenge. What do you want? If it’s the same, then the answer is so painfully clear. All of them. IU needs every available player on its roster, in every game.

Man, I whiffed that.    Not to speculate, but Rob was a complete non factor yesterday.  Had a good game against NW, but pretty pedestrian since his concussion.  It truly didn't look like a serious hit, but it was to the temple...   We need all hands on deck.... hope he snaps out of it.

I disagree in part with the non factor bit. He and Green defended the MSU guards very well. Winston had 25 pts. But took 23 shots to get there. I believe he only was able to get free for a made shot in the lane 4 maybe five times all game. The rest came on 5 3’s contested for the most part, outside of offensive rebound breakdowns. The other guard didn’t get s***. Well under average.

57 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Who do we need more? That’s the argument here? We’re trying to figure out if Greens absence held sway in the losing streak right? Or McBob playing? Or Fitzner over Jake & Moore? I think I know the answer. But it depends on what you are looking for. I’m looking for the best chance IU has to win a game. The best chance for sustained success, through fatigue, through foul trouble, through every conceivable offensive and defensive challenge. What do you want? If it’s the same, then the answer is so painfully clear. All of them. IU needs every available player on its roster, in every game.

Great post.

Fitz and McBob should never see the floor again.  I can't say it enough.  Useless, IMHO.  Give me Jake, give me Clif, give me Race, give me Vijay.......no more Fitz or McRoberts.

Great post.
Fitz and McBob should never see the floor again.  I can't say it enough.  Useless, IMHO.  Give me Jake, give me Clif, give me Race, give me Vijay.......no more Fitz or McRoberts.

Anyone hear why Moore did not play much yesterday