Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Devonte Green Suspension

47 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Knight didn't walk into a pot party--he heard about it. Then he quizzed the players. The ones who lied to him were tossed off the team (Baker, Roberson & Cox). The ones who admitted it to him were suspended but kept on the team (e.g., Mike Woodson).

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought that Butch Carter was the one who spilled the beans about who and to what extent was involved. As I recall not everyone associated with the team was pleased with him for being the "snitch".

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

I may be remembering this wrong, but I thought that Butch Carter was the one who spilled the beans about who and to what extent was involved. As I recall not everyone associated with the team was pleased with him for being the "snitch".

That is correct.  Several players claimed Butch spilled the beans.

In any case their behavior was not exactly a hidden secret. At parties I personally witnessed team member or members (chose wether or not to believe me but I am not going to name names) partaking.  In those days, for those that were not alive, the hallways of some of the dorms smelled like the headquarters of the Mexican cartel. Looking back it is rather amazing how open/prevelant things were. Within several years the administration really cracked down on the dorms.

19 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

That is correct.  Several players claimed Butch spilled the beans.

In any case their behavior was not exactly a hidden secret. At parties I personally witnessed team member or members (chose wether or not to believe me but I am not going to name names) partaking.  In those days, for those that were not alive, the hallways of some of the dorms smelled like the headquarters of the Mexican cartel. Looking back it is rather amazing how open/prevelant things were. Within several years the administration really cracked down on the dorms.

I have no doubt! I was in grad school in '75-6 there, and then began working for the USPS shortly after. Drugs of all kinds were prevalent to the extent that people today have a hard time believing the stories I tell them. It truly was a different time.

5 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I have no doubt! I was in grad school in '75-6 there, and then began working for the USPS shortly after. Drugs of all kinds were prevalent to the extent that people today have a hard time believing the stories I tell them. It truly was a different time.

And just not drugs.  There would be 10 keg parties in the dorm lounges, 100+ kids in the hallways with plastic cups full of beer and nothing would be done. Foster, McNutt, Wright and Willkie has a ton of parties.

I don't know what Devonte did but all of you out there saying it's just weed...
Bottom line weed is illegal in Indiana.  Also, it is illegal for NCAA athletes even in states in which it is legal.  He knows the rules, he's been taught the rules, he's signed documents (like all other athletes) acknowledging the rules and then people are saying what is the big deal, it's just weed?

Wearing the IU jersey (or any other Div 1 Power 5 jersey) is a privilege.  One which must be earned.  There were so many other athletes who would have been willing to accept that roster spot.  He's being paid to do a job, play basketball, go to school and abide by NCAA rules.  Whether you agree with the rule or not they are there and the athletes promised they'd obey them.  

So, for the first time maybe in his life he has consequences to his actions.  

Yet another Crean gift that keeps giving....

Absolutely spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe they shouldn't have violated team rules and the law

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I tend to think Green is already planning to transfer and has played his last game at IU.
You could be right. I certaily do not think he will be back next year. The one thing i will say is he can get hot from three sometimes. Cant say that about anyone else on the team.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Then I'm thinking that he will be gone and the same is probably true of Davis.  I believe that IU has a policy of guaranteeing these players support until they are granted a degree.  If they are graduated in three years, I think the school responsibility has be fulfilled.

5 minutes ago, Hoosiers96 said:

Another interesting/disappointing note: Deron and Devonte were both out at Kilroy Sports last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nothing inherently wrong with that as they're both 21.

But, doesn't necessarily bode well for DeRon's prospects if he's hanging out with the player who is the deepest in the doghouse.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nothing inherently wrong with that as they're both 21.

But, doesn't necessarily bode well for DeRon's prospects if he's hanging out with the player who is the deepest in the doghouse.

Another reason Green should go away.  Listen, it's not new for IU basketball players to go out or have a few pops.  It's also not a bad thing.  But they have to learn that being an athlete is a privilege and with that privilege comes some expectation.    If you don't meet those expectations, there are consequences.  Been true forever.   I feel badly for Davis, but he is now immobile and likely will never be what he was; but damn...get away from the kid who's suspended.  At least in public immediately afterward.  Nobody needs guilt by association.