Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - Game Thread - 01.22.19 - 9:00 ET

2 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Respectfully disagree. While the hype train might have gotten ahold of it and made it seem like a “dome deal” very prematurely, more than one person connected to the program has recognized that Donovan had interest. To the point where financials were discussed. I’m sure others on the board can cooberate. 

You’re giving way too much creedence to people who claim to be insiders and connected to the program. There’s a reason it all came from HSN and nowhere else. I wasn’t posting much on here back then but I remember all I read here and elsewhere were references to HSN “insiders”. It was a snowball that started from a rumor that never was a thing, even to the point where claims Donovan was in Btown hit even though he was on video in OKC. Hate to burst your bubble but all communication was through Donovan’s agent and there never was real interest. Discussions with Bennett went much further and he was barely talked about due to the focus on the Donovan rumors. I know a lot of people want to think there are insiders posting on these sites but that’s simply not the case or they would be found out in no time and no longer be given info. 

Falzon gave them tonight what Fitzner needs to give us. 

I was watching the post-game pressers on the B1G Network. It took about six questions before someone got to Devonte. Archie just said: "Read the release." ... I don't know exactly what the question was but I would've asked if he is still part of the program, if he is expected back at any time this season and what are the chances he returns next year? 

7 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I remember watching Archie play at NC St. The guy was a bullldog and didn’t back down from anyone.

I have to, well want to, believe he is going to get kids in that reflect that trait. I don’t know why he’s unable to rub off on this current group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those players are very, very hard to find anymore, especially if you want the elite talent necessary to win at the level we demand. AAU has conditioned players to operate at half-speed to preserve their bodies. This means no diving on the floor, no sprinting back on defense, need to have enough juice in the tank for the other 4 games later in the day.

Looking cool and acting like you don't care is more important to a lot of high school kids now. The ones who play with passion and emotion get laughed at.

The good news is...Indiana will snap their losing streak against Michigan on Friday. It’s too bad they’ll be playing Michigan at a time when they’ll be more focused after nearly losing two straight, but anytime a team plays Michigan this year is a bad time. With all that said, though, I think they play up for the Michigan game and finally end their embarrassing skid. 

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Falzon gave them tonight what Fitzner needs to give us. 

I was watching the post-game pressers on the B1G Network. It took about six questions before someone got to Devonte. Archie just said: "Read the release." ... I don't know exactly what the question was but I would've asked if he is still part of the program, if he is expected back at any time this season and what are the chances he returns next year? 

IU has traditionally released very little on athlete discipline and injuries.  IMO, I think that us how it should be...our want to know shouldn't step on player privacy.

It’s what Archie wants. We are significantly slower than his Dayton teams. 

I can attest to the truth of that statement. Saw Dayton play live twice in Archie’s final season, when my brother lived there. They played fast. Transition transition transition. I think I posted about it when the FTC thread was still going, and the Miller hire was just still a “what if”. Sagging man d with a transition based offense, similar to Crean’s but without the spacing and less transition 3’s. I said without really knowing the coach all that well that it looked like another high-risk, high turnover offense but with better defense. I said it looked like the kind of offense that would continue to lose to Wisconsin. What Coach is doing here though is Not what I saw at those flyers games. Don’t know the reason for the lack of push now. If I had to guess, I’d say he may have scrapped it due to ball handling issues in that first season. Don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Anyone know if Tim Buckley is employed or would come back to Bloomington next year? Pleasee

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Last I heard he was a pro scout for the Timberwolves. I’m not sure if he’s still there or not. I agree though, and I’ve brought this up on another thread. We need the “shot doctor” back in Bloomington. 

38 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I can attest to the truth of that statement. Saw Dayton play live twice in Archie’s final season, when my brother lived there. They played fast. Transition transition transition. I think I posted about it when the FTC thread was still going, and the Miller hire was just still a “what if”. Sagging man d with a transition based offense, similar to Crean’s but without the spacing and less transition 3’s. I said without really knowing the coach all that well that it looked like another high-risk, high turnover offense but with better defense. I said it looked like the kind of offense that would continue to lose to Wisconsin. What Coach is doing here though is Not what I saw at those flyers games. Don’t know the reason for the lack of push now. If I had to guess, I’d say he may have scrapped it due to ball handling issues in that first season. Don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Watching some videos where he teaches his offense I got the impression you need a PG and 2 wings capable of making rapid sound decisions. We don’t have that. In addition our D doesn’t force enough kisses to get out in transition. 

I feel like a lot of our offensive struggles have been the result of our D losing that intensity that it had

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Looking cool and acting like you don't care is more important to a lot of high school kids now. The ones who play with passion and emotion get laughed at.

I agree to an extent, but there are definitely still guys out there that play with some fire. I think a big part of the reason Zion is the consensus #1 is because NBA teams see a kid that would run through a brick wall to make a play. And I doubt anyone is laughing at him lol. Mac McClung and Nico Mannion are a couple other guys I’ve seen that fit that mold. Opposing high school players told McClung he was going to G’Town to sit and he’d light em up like a Christmas tree (having a solid frosh season too). Mannion also turns it to 11 at the slightest provocation.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think the apathy has a lot to do with the way the game is coached/officiated nowadays. When I was growing up, you didn’t give up layups. Period. Naturally, games got pretty rough and it became a matter of pride. That kind of play isn’t allowed anymore and I think competitiveness has taken a hit because of it. I don’t think nearly as many players take it personal.

7 hours ago, pumpfake said:

I am in no way a follower of the NBA, and it may be true that he'll be a sure lottery pick.  But he is way too passive.  He can dominate against lesser talent in H. S. but needs to step it up against decent college teams.  Going to the next step, against experienced men, I fear he'd flounder.  IMO, he needs to work on a lot of things before being a quality professional player.  Maybe he can get paid while doing it, but it'll have to happen with limited playing time - I don't know how well that can work with his laid back demeanor.

I've noticed that Romeo has a wrap of some sort on his right hand/wrist. I've wondered if that is affecting his shooting. I'd read that he injured it his senior year of high school. I'd really like to see him come back for next year. I've also noticed he's had dunk attempts blocked at the rim multiple times this year. Happened in the Duke game Purdue game, and a couple other times. He's definitely skilled but he struggles against against full grown, man- sized, elite athletes... like many do. 

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

If Durham starts, the only guard on thd bench is Anderson. No Buenos.

That would mean McBob comes off the bench, which is all he should provide.  Spot minutes or if there is foul trouble.  Our best lineup last night not coincidentally was when Al was with the other 4 starters.  Our starters need to play 35 minutes because unfortunately there is a significant drop from the bench at this time.  

I've been super busy the last month and haven't really posted since Christmas. It really sucks what is happening. I guess we saw the warning signs when this team squeaked by Northwestern and Penn State in December. I still like Archie but it is frustrating. The 2016/2017 recruiting class has brought nothing to this team (to anyone who argues.. this team hasn't made a single NCAA Tournament with that group and and doesn't look like we will this year). Devonte, Justin, and De'ron just aren't capable of playing meaningful minutes in the Big Ten. Al might be the outlier. This is equivalent to an NFL team missing two straight years in the NFL Draft (cough cough Colts a few years ago). I feel bad for Juwan. He is playing his heart out. Romeo is very good. I do think he needs to stay but I can't blame him for whatever he chooses. Rob is going to be a very good Point Guard but I don't think he or the team expected him to play this many minutes. 

The bottom line is it is frustrating to see teams like Texas Tech and Louisville get new coaches and have immediate success. I don't want to blame Archie, but I wish we could have had a better grad transfer. Fitzner's stats declined each year at St. Mary's who doesn't play the level of competition that IU does. I am still excited for the future (fingers crossed). A Keion Brooks commitment this week would be what the doctor ordered. Some players have some serious thinking to do for next year. 

At this point in the season, I’d be happy to see the tea, play with the heart and energy they showed in the last 10 or so minutes of the game. If they simply do that we’ll be in a lot more games.

It’s interesting to see that some wanted more Anderson but he had two costly turnovers in the short time he was in. Others wanted Jake and Moore, they also had some turnovers and in bad position on defense that led to points. If we had a few reserves that could defend and hit an open shot were a much different team with a better record.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners