Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Northwestern - Game Thread - 01.22.19 - 9:00 ET

Live Stats

Radio Option #1

Radio Option #2

TV - BTN - Brandon Gaudin & Jon Crispin

Watch Online

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 119th season of competition in men's basketball. The Hoosiers will look to snap a four-game losing streak after falling at Purdue, 70-55 on Saturday.  Northwestern is coming off a 65-57 win at Rutgers.
 Indiana (12-6, 3-4 Big Ten) at Northwestern (11-7, 2-5 Big Ten)

Date Jan. 22, 2019 • 9:00 p.m.

Site Welsh-Ryan Arena (7,039)

Series History Indiana leads, 117-51

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his 2nd season of guiding the Cream and Crimson. He has a 28-21 record since taking over the Hoosiers. He is 167-84 in 7-plus years as a head coach, which includes 6 years at the University of Dayton. His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014. Chris Collins is in his 6th year with the Wildcats.

SUITS AND SNEAKERS
Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers Week is a nationwide event when basketball coaches across the country unite for a common cause – saving lives from cancer.  Coaches and their staff across the nation wear sneakers with their suits during games to raise awareness and help save lives.

NEWS & NOTES
IU is rated 33rd in the NET. IU is in a stretch where it will play 6-of-8 on the road from Jan. 6 to Feb. 2.  

Senior forward Juwan Morgan and freshman guard Romeo Langford were selected to the 10-member Preseason All-Big Ten team. Both are among 50 players listed as candidates for the 2019 Naismith Trophy and Langford is among 20 players on the NABC Player of the Year watch list and 25 players up for the Wooden Award. Langford was named third-team Preseason All-American by ESPN.com and CBSSports.com and earned fourth-team honors from WatchStadium.com.  Morgan also is up for the 2019 Senior CLASS Award.

Langford is the top freshman scorer in the conference averaging 17.9 ppg.  He had 28-point efforts against Illinois and Maryland earlier. He is the only Hoosier to score in double digits every game and has been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week 4 times. Morgan earned Big Ten Player of the Week honors and USBWA Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week accolades after his record-setting 35-point effort against Butler.  He has scored 1,125 career points (40th all-time at IU) and is 4th in the B1G in double-doubles with 6.

Coach Archie Miller's squad is the top shooting team in the Big Ten, and 6th in the country, making 50.5% of its shots.

IU's 29.9% 3-point field goal defense would tie the second best mark a Hoosier team has posted since the 1996-97 season. The 2002-03 squad held opponents to 29.4% and the 2013-14 team posted a 29.9% defense.

Chicago area native Justin Smith (Buffalo Grove/Stevenson HS) is coming off a season-high 15-point effort against Purdue.  He is 8th in the B1G in FG percentage making 58.6% of his shots.  He is shooting 66.7% (20-of-30) in the last 5 games and averaging 8.7 points.

MORE ON LANGFORD
Freshman guard Romeo Langford, a Preseason All-American, was a McDonald's All-American and is the 27th Mr. Basketball in Indiana to suit up for the Hoosiers.  He leads Big Ten freshmen and is 7th in the country among his classmates in scoring overall (17.9).  He has been honored as Big Ten Freshman of the Week 4 times.  He had his first career double-double against Arkansas when he scored 22 and added 10 boards.  He scored 17 of his game-high 19 points against Chicago State in the first half.  He also added 20 points against UC Davis.   He had 20 points, including the game winner against Northwestern. He led the team with 17 points at Penn State and led the Hoosiers with 21 points against Louisville. He had his second career double-double with 18 points and a career-high 11 boards against Central Arkansas.  He had a career-high 28 point performance against Illinois and had 17 at Michigan.   He had 28 points at Maryland, including 20 in he second half.  He is 2nd on the team in rebounds (5.4), blocks (16) and third in assists (44).  He is third in the Big Ten in free throws attempted (126)

I'm ready for the next huge embarrassing failure.

Noooo.  We'll be looking for a win, and some kind of growth here.  Start it with some togetherness.  Get these guys playing for each other.  Get the defense going again, demoralize NW.  Rob is ready to have another good game.  Ideally some bounceback from Romeo, too.  Maybe put up more than 5 points in the first 6 minutes.  Who knows, maybe that's crazy.

Go Hoosiers!

We need to start
Rob
Romeo
Damezi
Smith
JuMo

Then our bench needs to go
Al
DG(8-10 mins at best)
Cliff/Jake (energy spark)
McBob (8-10 mins)

Lastly, have Fitzner take Prillers spot on the bench. Need to keep that seat real warm

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I have a good feeling for this one...

And for once PLEASE ... PRETTY PLEASE.... lets take the ball inside on the first possession... I haven't went back and re-watched every game but it sure seems like our first possession is a 3 point attempt every single game... its like we are feeling it out for the night to see if they are gonna drop or not.... Huge Buzzkill for the team when it doesn't drop...

I'm ready for the next huge embarrassing failure.

Noooo.  We'll be looking for a win, and some kind of growth here.  Start it with some togetherness.  Get these guys playing for each other.  Get the defense going again, demoralize NW.  Rob is ready to have another good game.  Ideally some bounceback from Romeo, too.  Maybe put up more than 5 points in the first 6 minutes.  Who knows, maybe that's crazy.

Go Hoosiers!
I said nebraska was a must win but this one really is now. Probably the 2nd most winnable road game we have left.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, The Ola Depot said:

Has Race always participated in these early practices before games?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think he's been participating ever since he's been back with the team and allowed by the training staff to sit through a loud game environment. No contact though I'd guess.

Anyone know if we'll see him this year?

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think he's been participating ever since he's been back with the team and allowed by the training staff to sit through a loud game environment. No contact though I'd guess.

Anyone know if we'll see him this year?

I think he will be able to play this year, but just not sure we will see him. He has just missed so much.

I think he will be able to play this year, but just not sure we will see him. He has just missed so much.

That’s what I figured. His conditioning would have to be in rough shape I would imagine. Was just wondering if he had been in fact practicing to maybe make that transition a little faster than some would think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app