Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Game Thread: Purdouche Edition

We missed 11 free throws and 16 3-pointers. If we just go 13 for 18 from the line (instead of 7-18) and make 9 of 20 3s (instead of 4-20), that's 21 points right there -- and those aren't crazy-good percentages anyway. I'm not gonna say we'd have won by 5, because you never know exactly how things will shake out, but that's a lot of points to leave out there. I only was able to watch about 16 minutes of the first half because I had to work, but when I was watching, we missed some really wide-open 3s. That's just something you cannot do. Archie had better find a Zeisloft or a Roth in his next recruiting class. We just cannot go another year without any 3-point shooters. It's too big of a part of the game. 
The thing is keep hearing we need shooters but so far archie has no shooters coming in next year. He better find some grad transfer shooters or some high school guy i dont know about. No crean diamond in the ruffs like priller.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

Fitzner didn’t play did he? I just noticed that in the box score. Guess I’m actually surprised by that, given the minutes he had logged previously.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nope, Moore got about 4-5 minutes instead.

Something I saw during the first half yesterday kind of made me laugh & shake my head: The purdu player responsible for guarding McRoberts was chasing him and guarding him really tight away from the basket (why? LOL).  To his credit, he (McRoberts) did end up making some shots.  Come to think of it, McRoberts was one of the few players that was actually moving on offense.

It's common knowledge (belief) that we sorely lack two components: reliable shooter(s) and bulk/size up front.  The truth is, 3 of the 4 classes on this current team are Crean recruits and those classes have none of those two elements unless you count DeRon.  In his first recruiting class, Archie got 2 major contributors on this team (Langford & Phin) and very possibly Hunter would have been a third.  At this point next year is more uncertain with only two players signed.  I don't know of any true bruisers on the foreseeable radar, but I believe Morton is a player that would really be a great addition to the program.

I believe Phinisee will become a very good shooter for us. According to a website I just looked at very quickly (don’t crucify me if I chose the “wrong” one) it shows him at 40% for 3s this year. If he can show an improvement such as Al has experienced this year he could be what we are looking for. We could still use a wing shooter but maybe Hunter can fill that role. Now I’m not saying that we couldn’t use more or recruit more, but I’m not in the “All is Lost” camp.

1 hour ago, RatpigHoosier said:

I believe Phinisee will become a very good shooter for us. According to a website I just looked at very quickly (don’t crucify me if I chose the “wrong” one) it shows him at 40% for 3s this year. If he can show an improvement such as Al has experienced this year he could be what we are looking for. We could still use a wing shooter but maybe Hunter can fill that role. Now I’m not saying that we couldn’t use more or recruit more, but I’m not in the “All is Lost” camp.

I hope so too.  Yesterday was the first time I saw Rob running and moving at what I'd think is 100%.  He is a very good freshman, but still a freshman and is now playing himself back into shape & the flow of the game.

I believe we’ll see Al take another step forward with his shot, Phin is a capable shooter, Green could be too if he would realize what a good shot is, Smith is okay when he doesn’t have his shoulders laid back, and Hunter can get there.

I would agree we need to run some action to get shooters open. pu ran sets that we jumped on to stop Cline that left Haarms wide open for easy dunks. We don’t have that “layup” 3pt shooter on the roster though. All of our offense is going to the basket and defenses can simply clog the lane and leave others open.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I dont necessarily think our problem is no shooters. Rob and Al are both pretty good for the year. We don’t seem to good at running plays to get particular people open.  We seem to just pass it around hoping to get anybody open. 

We missed at least 5 wide open 3s in the first half and more in the second. They were wide open. Al, Juwan, McBob, Romeo, and Rob all hat atleast one and most missed multiple. The free throws missed. I don’t know what you guys want out of an offense but yesterday they were put in a position to succeed. We do not have shooters. As said previously if we hit just a normal percentage of both we are in a good position to win. Defensively, Edwards had 20 points on 15 shots. The slips by Haarms has to be corrected. They didn’t get to the line a ton. This game was 100% on our inability to knock down a shot. That just can’t happen at Indiana and better get fixed pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

We missed at least 5 wide open 3s in the first half and more in the second. They were wide open. Al, Juwan, McBob, Romeo, and Rob all hat atleast one and most missed multiple. The free throws missed. I don’t know what you guys want out of an offense but yesterday they were put in a position to succeed. We do not have shooters. As said previously if we hit just a normal percentage of both we are in a good position to win. Defensively, Edwards had 20 points on 15 shots. The slips by Haarms has to be corrected. They didn’t get to the line a ton. This game was 100% on our inability to knock down a shot. That just can’t happen at Indiana and better get fixed pretty quick.

Despite a rough day yesterday they are both still shooting 40 percent from the field.

And while the shots were wide open yesterday I would wonder if they were from parts of the field our guys are proficient at.  For example Curry is money from the corner hits over 60% I think I read somewhere GS gets him open shots from there by running plays. I didn’t see many corner 3s yesterday the statistically best 3 pointer. 

We most certainly need more shooting but if we don’t start running plays to get people good shots from spots on the court they are best at. Then what’s the point. 

Despite a rough day yesterday they are both still shooting 40 percent from the field.
And while the shots were wide open yesterday I would wonder if they were from parts of the field our guys are proficient at.  For example Curry is money from the corner hits over 60% I think I read somewhere GS gets him open shots from there by running plays. I didn’t see many corner 3s yesterday the statistically best 3 pointer. 
We most certainly need more shooting but if we don’t start running plays to get people good shots from spots on the court they are best at. Then what’s the point. 

A corner guy is literally just sitting there and only getting that shot on a drive or when the defense collapses on Juwan. That’s all we do. We had shooters available all day yesterday but nobody could knock them down. Difference between yesterday and other games is we actually shot them yesterday. Before yesterday we were only shooting 14 3s in conference play. Yesterday we had 20. The offense hasn’t changed. We still run sets to get players to drive or Juwan on the post. As much as we get it to Juwan on the block if we had remotely a threat his life would be easier or the shooter would or two would help us win. I wish our offense gave us great shots every time down the floor but nobody in America can says theirs does. This is IU. We have to have multiple shooters. Honestly otherwise that is more sacrilegious than anything Crean did.

16 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

A corner guy is literally just sitting there and only getting that shot on a drive or when the defense collapses on Juwan. That’s all we do. We had shooters available all day yesterday but nobody could knock them down. Difference between yesterday and other games is we actually shot them yesterday. Before yesterday we were only shooting 14 3s in conference play. Yesterday we had 20. The offense hasn’t changed. We still run sets to get players to drive or Juwan on the post. As much as we get it to Juwan on the block if we had remotely a threat his life would be easier or the shooter would or two would help us win. I wish our offense gave us great shots every time down the floor but nobody in America can says theirs does. This is IU. We have to have multiple shooters. Honestly otherwise that is more sacrilegious than anything Crean did.

I just don’t buy that any amount of shooters is going to work if the offense doesn’t evolve into being more than it is. 

Once again I concede the shots were open. But we’re we really running plays to set the right guys up in the right location. The fact that Mcroberts took 4 makes me think no. One more than Al took. 

I just don’t buy that any amount of shooters is going to work if the offense doesn’t evolve into being more than it is. 

Once again I concede the shots were open. But we’re we really running plays to set the right guys up in the right location. The fact that Mcroberts took 4 makes me think no. One more than Al took. 

But that’s your corner 3. You will never set a play for a corner 3. That shot is a byproduct of other things that are happening that we are doing. The shot that you want in our offense is there. But Romeo, Al, Rob, and McRoberts all missed numerous attempts at it. Romeo air balled one. Juwan is typically at the top of the key which is where he should be if he is outside. He should never be in the corner. The only plays you will see truly set for a three is someone coming off of a screen. Romeo and Rob are the only ones I could ever see doing that for and I don’t think anyone is confident about that. Otherwise it’s spot up shooters. We had that all day yesterday. I would expect more of that than anything going forward. If we had a Jordy Hulls type I would image you would see more screens to set that player free. I definitely get what you are saying and it’s beyond frustrating. In modern college basketball you have to have that shot. For the most part we have. We just don’t have the players to knock it down consistently. To me that is gym time in the summer. They weren’t putting up enough shots at all.

And to be completely fair Brass we have enough wrong with us I think there are plenty of ways or ideas to improve us. I don’t think you are being over the top at all. I don’t want to come across that way. Either way they have to turn it around.

I can't believe the refs missed the goal-tending towards the end of the first half!  I honestly think that is when the game changed.  Purdue closed the half out on a run and we never recovered.  And for Gus and Jim to show the replay and say good block was egregious!

15 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

But that’s your corner 3. You will never set a play for a corner 3. That shot is a byproduct of other things that are happening that we are doing. The shot that you want in our offense is there. But Romeo, Al, Rob, and McRoberts all missed numerous attempts at it. Romeo air balled one. Juwan is typically at the top of the key which is where he should be if he is outside. He should never be in the corner. The only plays you will see truly set for a three is someone coming off of a screen. Romeo and Rob are the only ones I could ever see doing that for and I don’t think anyone is confident about that. Otherwise it’s spot up shooters. We had that all day yesterday. I would expect more of that than anything going forward. If we had a Jordy Hulls type I would image you would see more screens to set that player free. I definitely get what you are saying and it’s beyond frustrating. In modern college basketball you have to have that shot. For the most part we have. We just don’t have the players to knock it down consistently. To me that is gym time in the summer. They weren’t putting up enough shots at all.

The Warriors run something to get Curry open for Corner 3s. I’ve seen it quite a few tunes. 

But overall I think we just aren’t getting the right people the open 3s. Give Al the 4 that Mcroberts took and that’s probably 6 more points. Basically Mcroberts shouldn’t be playing. 

As I said before, I would love to see the “Shot Doctor” back in Bloomington. He would help improve on three point shooting and free throw shooting. And, yeah, he won’t be coming back. 

If the Wolves send Buckley to Bloomington to scout Romeo, then maybe he can stick around a couple days???

The Warriors run something to get Curry open for Corner 3s. I’ve seen it quite a few tunes. 
But overall I think we just aren’t getting the right people the open 3s. Give Al the 4 that Mcroberts took and that’s probably 6 more points. Basically Mcroberts shouldn’t be playing. 

My guess is that most NBA teams run plays for corner 3s because it’s a shorter distance shot compared to the rest of the 3 point line. 22 feet while 23 ft 9 in for the rest of the line. College the 3 point line is the same all around

Agreed on McBob right now. To be fair you are using the best 3 point shooter of all time as an example. Their best shots include him taking contested 3s. He needs no space and has one of the quickest shots of all time. There is no team in college basketball that does that. I think our biggest hope is those on this roster improving their shot over the summer. I think RP takes a Yogi like leap as a shooter from freshman to soph. Damezi has to get better defensively to stay on the court. Al will continue putting shots up. I think Justin could become serviceable. Hunter we just don’t know. If Brooks comes here and gives us 32-35% that’s a win. I still would love a grad transfer as a knockdown shooter. Not one that averaged 4 pts per game.