Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Game Thread: Purdouche Edition

I guess I missed the part where everyone was praising his half-court offense last year that was controlling the ball and setting up shooters with off-ball screens. The only thing missing was some guys that could actually shoot. He brought one in this year and the kid is averaging 18 ppg. Another is a project freshman who needs to learn to play defense and the third is out for the year. 
Is avg. 18 points but can't shoot outside 15 feet. Every play he has to make for himself. He doesn't get good screens. What happened to the double screen. Offense was terrible last year 15 turnovers a game is not good. Still not going to be any shooters or play makers next year. It's going to be double down on TJD and let the 3s fly. That great crean offense

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed, but I think TJD will have the size to play with those guys if he's actually the 6'10" 235 lbs that he's listed at. He will put on 10 pounds once Marshall gets with him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haames from purdue was ranked 352nd coming out of hs and killed us. We need a 6'11 big body.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

That is fine but what changes next year to improve that? Our veterans have had 2 off seasons to make improvements and outside of JMO, it hasn’t happened. So assuming that the current gouts will make big improvements is just hope

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

More of his players, more experience for them, I really wish some more of the freshman would have gotten more playing time to start the season especially in the “cupcake” games. Coach really threw Anderson to the wolves today after hardly any playing time and that to me is a big reason we keep getting the deer in the headlights out of the freshman. Got to get used to the flow of the game and I don’t care how hard you go at it in practice, it still doesn’t compare to game time!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sadly injuries have ruined Deron. The guy showed potential when healthy. But he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Bad Achilles and bad ankles hurt his mobility. He never was an exceptional leaper but his lateral quickness and ability to jump is gone at this point. Who knows if he can get back to where he was before the Achilles next year.

He needs another big body to go with TJD next year. You don’t want him at center. He’s a prototypical power forward. Need to add another big man. I still think Archie should be playing Forrester. Jake is a tremendous leaper and plays with energy. This team needs someone to give it some fire.

Lack of pure shooters is a major problem. They need another one next year to go w Franklin. Keion is a good shooter but I’m not sure what kind of percentage he is from 3.

Jerome will hell next year. He’s a good shooter and can create offense. It’s a shame Race seems to potentially be done for the year. He’s a descent shooter and has a big enough body to help on the boards.

Injuries have decimated this team.
I can’t say it’s necessarily the S&C guy but I’ve never seen a run of injuries like this.

Team is struggling to get healthy and find its identify. Gonna be a long year if they can’t figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm sure that nobody knows the shortcomings of this team better than CAM. He sees it everyday in practice. I'm sure he is also well aware of the expectations, his job security depends on it. He will do everything in his power to improve this team. I'm not sure we can ask for more than that. On a side note, this is not the team he, or anyone else, thought we would have. Losing the guys we have lost to injury is not an excuse, it's a reality.

27 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Not sure how accurate this site is, but these shooting percentages don't look good for Brooks.  Between EYBL and Peach Jam it shows him at about 30% from 3 and about 69% at the line.

https://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/24315428

FWIW, from the stats I maintained on his AAU season, I had him at 47% on FG; 35% on 3's and 66% FT

I'm sure that nobody knows the shortcomings of this team better than CAM. He sees it everyday in practice. I'm sure he is also well aware of the expectations, his job security depends on it. He will do everything in his power to improve this team. I'm not sure we can ask for more than that. On a side note, this is not the team he, or anyone else, thought we would have. Losing the guys we have lost to injury is not an excuse, it's a reality.
The injury excuse is what it is but this team should not be run out of the building by these last two teams. If we get blown out at northwestern it will offically be a dumpster fire.

22 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

The injury excuse is what it is but this team should not be run out of the building by these last two teams. If we get blown out at northwestern it will offically be a dumpster fire.

For me, it's not about excuses. It's about being able to objectivity assess the situation. All the coaches in this league are good and they all have quality players. Some days the other guys are just better. I have no idea what the locker room dynamics are with this team. This is still a transitional team. From my viewpoint, we were not clearly more talented than Nebraska or Purdue. Nothing that I have seen for most of this season would tell me that. We need size, shooters, and experience at key positions. Until then, we are who we are.

Yeah, and then be injured for half the year. I guess I’m not sold on Marshall yet either. Why do we have so many injuries? At some point, you have to look at something other than bad luck. Obviously, he can’t control concussions, but we have a lot of other leg injuries, etc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't think we've had a lot of avoidable injuries, or at least any more than most teams. Concussions and whatever is going on with Hunter are impossible to predict. Davis just playing at all after his injury is remarkable, but he was bound to be injury prone coming back so quickly. Al took a knee to the thigh. I guess McRoberts has had some nagging stuff, but that seems to be it.

I don't know if Marshall is any good other than that guys have nice before and after pictures. So no reason to be sold on him, but I don't see how to blame him for injuries this year. It's just been unlucky

Haames from purdue was ranked 352nd coming out of hs and killed us. We need a 6'11 big body.

He had 12 points and 4 boards. He did not kill us. I think 8 of those points came on 4 uncontested dunks. He was fine, but had nothing to do with why we lost. Rebounds in total were equal. Purdue's size did not have a significant impact on the game.

If Indiana had a guy like Cline, that would have changed the game. If we were 7-20 from 3, which is still not great, we would be in the game. But you can't win when nobody can shoot and you're 4-20 on 3s

We missed 11 free throws and 16 3-pointers. If we just go 13 for 18 from the line (instead of 7-18) and make 9 of 20 3s (instead of 4-20), that's 21 points right there -- and those aren't crazy-good percentages anyway. I'm not gonna say we'd have won by 5, because you never know exactly how things will shake out, but that's a lot of points to leave out there. I only was able to watch about 16 minutes of the first half because I had to work, but when I was watching, we missed some really wide-open 3s. That's just something you cannot do. Archie had better find a Zeisloft or a Roth in his next recruiting class. We just cannot go another year without any 3-point shooters. It's too big of a part of the game. 

Fitzner didn’t play did he? I just noticed that in the box score. Guess I’m actually surprised by that, given the minutes he had logged previously.

Fitzner didn’t play did he? I just noticed that in the box score. Guess I’m actually surprised by that, given the minutes he had logged previously.

I am not. He does not deserve to play imo. He offers nothing right now.