Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Game Thread: Purdouche Edition

So than how many darn years do we give archie to make the dance. Thats year 3.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If they don't make it this year he needs to be gone. IU has the money to hire anyone we want but we hire a one hit wonder and wonder why it isn't working out

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:
So than how many darn years do we give archie to make the dance. Thats year 3.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

As many darn years as anyone wants to give him. Some may give him 20, some may give him 10, some may give him 4,5 or even some gave him 1 year before they want his head.
Personally I would think a coach should at least  be around until his first true recruiting cycle(RP) are seniors but that’s just me

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

Just look at the Purdue roster, and honestly there's no one on it other than Edwards who's better than any of our starters.

And Edwards isn't even that great.

Our best player is Morgan, who I love, but he's clearly peaked and was a 3* for a reason.  It's not his fault there isn't much around him, and he was never meant to be the primary scorer on a good 

I would bet that there are quite a few of us who would take him! Cline too. Shoots better than anyone we have. It wasn't always bad D either. On a few occasions Cline had a billboard in front of his face.

I'm tired of not having someone to matchup with the guys Maryland had or the dude of Arkansas or Haarms.  Morgan doesn't have the size, Davis doesn't have the athleticism or mobility.

Agreed, but I think TJD will have the size to play with those guys if he's actually the 6'10" 235 lbs that he's listed at. He will put on 10 pounds once Marshall gets with him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

Just because we have veterans on the team doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good thing. Besides JMO, which of our upper class men actually deserves any playing time let alone starters mins? Al is still a work in progress, I still like al, Smith needs a quick kick in the confidence and consistency pants, Davis needs time to heal and probably should not have played much at the beginning of this year, I have no comments on Green, McBob just no!
If this team had one player, just one, that could step up and consistently be a threat from 3, we would be winning more games. Everyone has already figured out how to stop us, clog the lane! Until someone starts hitting from outside, this is how it’s going to go. Especially since JMO and Romeo score a majority of their points in the lane.

And if it wasn’t for Juwan’s creativity and mobility around the basket, then the clogged lane would have even more of an impact than it already does. If Juwan was on an opposing team, then many of his shots would tick me off and make me say, “That lucky bastard! That was a sh*t shot!” We know differently and know he’s skilled around the rim.

Fitzner, it was hoped, would be that three point threat. I was hoping McRoberts would also be more of a three-point threat this year, but I’m struggling to remember when he last took a shot before tonight. Phinisee will become a deadeye shooter from outside, I believe, but he’s still working back into the rotation. Al is a far more capable shooter this year than he was last year, and I hope he continues to improve. Moore is supposed to be a good perimeter shooter and I would like to see him play more than Fitzner at this point, but he’s always playing inside as a big (which still seems a bit out of position for him).

I agree the lack of outside shooting is a glaring weakness, but the biggest weakness  is lack of depth, which injuries have certainly not helped with. 

We’re lucky Romeo is (usually) more than capable of creating and finishing in the lane and that Juwan has brilliant post moves that allow him to efficiently score as an undersized big.

Clearing the lanes with outside shooting, hitting free throws, and less injuries would make for a much more successful season. We need a healthy roster and we need “the shot doctor” back on the bench. I miss him as an assistant coach. 

I respectfully disagree Bowhunter. On paper they look real good sans a few injuries. I see the problem that key components either regressed or did not develop.

Purdue has Carson Edwards. On paper we are better at every position on rankings alone.

Agreed, but I think TJD will have the size to play with those guys if he's actually the 6'10" 235 lbs that he's listed at. He will put on 10 pounds once Marshall gets with him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and then be injured for half the year. I guess I’m not sold on Marshall yet either. Why do we have so many injuries? At some point, you have to look at something other than bad luck. Obviously, he can’t control concussions, but we have a lot of other leg injuries, etc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, maharkn said:

If they don't make it this year he needs to be gone. IU has the money to hire anyone we want but we hire a one hit wonder and wonder why it isn't working out

You can't build anything long-term if you keep pulling the rug out underneath a program every few years. That's why the Browns and Tennessee football continually suck. This was never going to be a quick fix. Yes, there are holes in Archie's coaching philosophy, but I'd rather be a consistently good program years four and onward than reach for arbitrary benchmarks in years two and three and then start over again if they're not met. 

There is talent on this team and the prospect of something stable in the coming years. Honestly, it will likely be year four. A senior Justin Smith, junior Phinisee, likely sophomore Jackson-Davis, hopefully healthy and contributing Jerome Hunter, and some new guys brought in will make a very competitive team, with younger talent on the roster to follow in their footsteps. 

Our team right now is honestly a poor man's 2007-08 team with DJ (Juwan) and a less consistent Eric (Romeo), blended with an injured version of the 2009-10 team Watford/Hulls freshmen team. Green is Devan Dumes and McRoberts is Danny Moore. They're young, they're hurt, they're lacking shooters, and there's no depth. We brought in six freshmen for this year's squad (including Race). Only two can contribute right now. 

Of course this isn't enjoyable to watch, but the last 20 years is a sunk cost at this point, so people need to get over themselves with the "we've been patient enough" schtick. It's been stated before, but except in very rare occasions it takes coaches a few years to get things going when taking over a program. There was a reason this job was open to begin with...because the team sucked!

I just did a quick number crunch for the coaches of the teams currently in the top 15 to see what each coach's winning percentage was at their current program in the first three seasons they were there.

1. Duke (Coach K)  - 45%
  2. Michigan (Beilein) - 46%
  3. Tennessee (Barnes) - 56%
  4. Virginia (Bennett) - 56%
  5. Gonzaga (Few) - 80% (Mark Few took over for an Elite Eight team)
  6. Michigan State (Izzo) - 60%
  7. Kansas (Self) - 75% (Bill Self took over a team that was the NCAA runner-up)
  8. Texas Tech (Beard) - 76%
  9. Virginia Tech (Buzz Williams) - 52%
  10. Nevada (Musselman) - 74%
  11. Florida State (Leonard Hamilton) - 48%
  12. Kentucky (Cal) - 88%
  13. UNC (Roy) - 77%
  14. Auburn (Pearl) - 45%
  15. Marquette (Woj) - 54%

So there you go. Unless you take over for an already successful and loaded program or recruit multiple top 10 players every year, you're likely to struggle your first few seasons. 

You can't build anything long-term if you keep pulling the rug out underneath a program every few years. That's why the Browns and Tennessee football continually suck. This was never going to be a quick fix. Yes, there are holes in Archie's coaching philosophy, but I'd rather be a consistently good program years four and onward than reach for arbitrary benchmarks in years two and three and then start over again if they're not met. 
There is talent on this team and the prospect of something stable in the coming years. Honestly, it will likely be year four. A senior Justin Smith, junior Phinisee, likely sophomore Jackson-Davis, hopefully healthy and contributing Jerome Hunter, and some new guys brought in will make a very competitive team, with younger talent on the roster to follow in their footsteps. 
Our team right now is honestly a poor man's 2007-08 team with DJ (Juwan) and a less consistent Eric (Romeo), blended with an injured version of the 2009-10 team Watford/Hulls freshmen team. Green is Devan Dumes and McRoberts is Danny Moore. They're young, they're hurt, they're lacking shooters, and there's no depth. We brought in six freshmen for this year's squad (including Race). Only two can contribute right now. 
Of course this isn't enjoyable to watch, but the last 20 years is a sunk cost at this point, so people need to get over themselves with the "we've been patient enough" schtick. It's been stated before, but except in very rare occasions it takes coaches a few years to get things going when taking over a program. There was a reason this job was open to begin with...because the team sucked!
I just did a quick number crunch for the coaches of the teams currently in the top 15 to see what each coach's winning percentage was at their current program in the first three seasons they were there.
  1. Duke (Coach K)  - 45%
  2. Michigan (Beilein) - 46%
  3. Tennessee (Barnes) - 56%
  4. Virginia (Bennett) - 56%
  5. Gonzaga (Few) - 80% (Mark Few took over for an Elite Eight team)
  6. Michigan State (Izzo) - 60%
  7. Kansas (Self) - 75% (Bill Self took over a team that was the NCAA runner-up)
  8. Texas Tech (Beard) - 76%
  9. Virginia Tech (Buzz Williams) - 52%
  10. Nevada (Musselman) - 74%
  11. Florida State (Leonard Hamilton) - 48%
  12. Kentucky (Cal) - 88%
  13. UNC (Roy) - 77%
  14. Auburn (Pearl) - 45%
  15. Marquette (Woj) - 54%
So there you go. Unless you take over for an already successful and loaded program or recruit multiple top 10 players every year, you're likely to struggle your first few seasons. 
Archie shows absolutely no ability to coach an offense. This weight lifting crap the entire summer doesn't help. That's probably the biggest reason for the lack of shooting

Just now, maharkn said:

Archie shows absolutely no ability to coach an offense. This weight lifting crap the entire summer doesn't help. That's probably the biggest reason for the lack of shooting

I guess I missed the part where everyone was praising his half-court offense last year that was controlling the ball and setting up shooters with off-ball screens. The only thing missing was some guys that could actually shoot. He brought one in this year and the kid is averaging 18 ppg. Another is a project freshman who needs to learn to play defense and the third is out for the year. 

Yeah, and then be injured for half the year. I guess I’m not sold on Marshall yet either. Why do we have so many injuries? At some point, you have to look at something other than bad luck. Obviously, he can’t control concussions, but we have a lot of other leg injuries, etc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

People were ecstatic when we hired Marshall, I challenged his qualifications when it came to basketball and got ripped apart.

His history is in football which is 100% different than basketball weight and strength prep. It can lead to injuries, fatigue and broken shots which we seem to have maxed out on.

It’s odd to see so many talented players hurt/regressing on their shooting, even uncontested free throws and 3 pointers