Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

McRobbie and Georgia Tech

Academics aren't judged by the quality of student you take in. It's in the quality of student you put out. 

That’s not entirely accurate. Students you accept is 10% of the scoring. Outcomes is 35% of the score with the rest coming from other measures:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/how-us-news-calculated-the-rankings

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I see a lot of people hammer Glass, but I truly think the blame for our athletics falls directly on the shoulders of McRobbie.

Ditto. The flip side you will get to that argument is he shouldn’t care, it should only be academics. But athletics do have roll over into academics and he has a strong say in budgets, measurable, and KPI’s. When it has been a Departmental issue and they have had systematic issues under multiple AD’s they get direction from the president. I am not a fan but others are. To each their own. 

2 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

Partying has went down under him, he has purposely made it to where sports like basketball can’t be what they were under Knight and academics haven’t gotten any better? Let him walk out and cheer as he does. We can easily find a president who can keep our academics in the top 75, let our basketball program become an annual Top 10 program and let our football program win 7 games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

How are we going to "easily find a president who can let our football program win 7 games" when IU has done it only 6 times in the last 50 years? IU has played in 3 bowl games in the past 25 years. McRobbie was the president for... All three of them. 

You list "partying has gone down under him" as a negative against McRobbie. Sure, partying is fun when you're in college, but it's not a university president's job to make sure that underage students have easy access to alcohol. 

52 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

The party part was sarcasm. The football part can be done with leadership that actually wants to be successful.

So has IU's problem all these decades been that leadership didn't want to be successful? 

Look, if we can go out and get a president who is all gung-ho for IU sports then by all means, go out and get him or her. But I just think you're overstating the impact the university president has on the school's sports. And to the extent that the president does have an impact, you have to admit that McRobbie has been the president for a relatively decent time in IU football, by our standards. 

So has IU's problem all these decades been that leadership didn't want to be successful? 
Look, if we can go out and get a president who is all gung-ho for IU sports then by all means, go out and get him or her. But I just think you're overstating the impact the university president has on the school's sports. And to the extent that the president does have an impact, you have to admit that McRobbie has been the president for a relatively decent time in IU football, by our standards. 

The president is the one that stands in front of the Board. The Board determines a lot. Within what the Board decides the president would place specific KPI’s. At a school like Kentucky, the basketball program asks for something they get it. When Bob Knight was fired we had the same luxuries. After that changed. Glass is a puppet to the President whose main job is academic success, donations, and completing goals assigned by the president (renovations, donation amounts, budgets, graduation rates, etc.).

The president is the one that stands in front of the Board. The Board determines a lot. Within what the Board decides the president would place specific KPI’s. At a school like Kentucky, the basketball program asks for something they get it. When Bob Knight was fired we had the same luxuries. After that changed. Glass is a puppet to the President whose main job is academic success, donations, and completing goals assigned by the president (renovations, donation amounts, budgets, graduation rates, etc.).

Hey mdn - you forgot to mention donations. I know you said it, but once isn’t enough. Donations seem to be the only thing McRobbie works for......

Seems like a lot of money has been going towards our sports though.

Football salaries went way up. They bumped a coordinator salary $500k with the new OC. They had several building projects with the stadium and it is now all filled in. New weight room too

Basketball we have cook hall, assembly hall renovation, locker rooms and we know the salaries have been high. Creans recruiting budget was extremely high as well.

Then you have the baseball stadium the new wrestling volleyball center as well. It seems like money has been flowing to athletics

I have no idea if he is a good president but our lack of success seems more related to mediocre coaching than support from the president.

Increased athletic spending is all relative. IU isn’t the only school increasing spending and renovating facilities. Glass is doing the bare minimum expected. Non revenue sports have had their facilities renovated before basketball and  football which is dumb AF. IU had the worst basketball locker room in the conference until four months ago. We built a new volleyball and wrestling arena before giving the football team a new locker room and players lounge. Archie was surprised at how cheaply IU was doing some things when he took over the job.
And the coaching hires have been underwhelming, limited by the amount the administration will permit for salaries. Tom Allen was handed the job with no other candidates considered. He is the lowest paid coach in the conference. No wonder his results have been underwhelming.
Glass may be limited by McRobbie but he is the one who kept Crean on way too long and let him drive our program into the mud. He is the one who allowed the academic counselors to screw up and have Bryant Fitzgerald declared ineligible through no fault of his own. He hired Wilson and covered up his misdeeds.
It has been a team effort to wreck the football and basketball programs. It has been decades in the making but McRobbie and Glass have been around long enough to own the problem now.

Do you really think he has a lot of say in firing Crean? Gradman despite our differences in opinion you know the history of IU. When has the AD ever had that power? It has never once been their call.

U.S. News rankings are as follows:

89th in national universities

53rd in best college for veterans

120th in best value schools

Total enrollment: 43,710

Yes we are known for the business school, law school, and school of education but we have a lot of work to do in other areas athletics being one of those. The 2017 endowment was 1.1 billion.

So Glass is a patsy with no ability to act on his own. Wow, what a nice gig. No responsibility and no accountability.

No, nobody ever said that. You assume his role is one thing and your perception really isn’t close to the truth. The sad part is you know this. Look at the basketball firings at IU. When has the AD ever fired anyone or initiated it? We have had the convo of what his actual role is but your blind hatred of Glass will not allow you to realize you are hating on the wrong people.

24 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

So Glass is a patsy with no ability to act on his own. Wow, what a nice gig. No responsibility and no accountability.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

No, nobody ever said that. You assume his role is one thing and your perception really isn’t close to the truth. The sad part is you know this. Look at the basketball firings at IU. When has the AD ever fired anyone or initiated it? We have had the convo of what his actual role is but your blind hatred of Glass will not allow you to realize you are hating on the wrong people.

Whoever has the answer can reply. Who precipitated the extended contract extension for Crean and green-lighted the huge buyout which probably kept Crean on-board after 2015(firing him after the B1G title in '16 would've been silly)? That I believe determines how much of this is on Cool Dad and how much is on President Dundee.

I'm really late to the party regarding campus affairs, but I just read about the ongoing mold problem IU has been dealing with this year. The school is (was?) facing a class action lawsuit from students in the dorms who got sick from the mold and the school's response to the problem. Terrible look for the school...

In 1982 I read an article from the Wall Street Journal ranking business schools from around the country for”best value” received for the money from corporate America. The ranking had our MBA program ranked #5 and the bachelor program ranked #1! In the whole country! How far these clowns have let us fall. It’s embarrassing!

I graduated in ‘82 which is why that stuck in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners