Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) RB Charlie Spegal

I’d like to see him be offered a preferred walk on spot with the intent to earn a scholarship if he earns it. We do have 5 open spots so there’s no guarantee Allen will be able to fill all of them. I’m sure there’s plenty of spots on special teams he could help out with too. 

Hart @ New Pal today.

@NPCoachRalph: Thanks to @Coach_Etheridge & @Coach_Spack Illinois St., @CoachBostadUW Wisconsin, @CoachWarnerMSU Michigan State, @MHart2032 Indiana, @Coach_TMorrison Grand Valley St., @CoachCampenni Bowling Green, & @Mason_BM Cincinnati for coming into #DragonNation today to see our players!

On 1/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, KzooHoosier82 said:

I’d like to see him be offered a preferred walk on spot with the intent to earn a scholarship if he earns it. We do have 5 open spots so there’s no guarantee Allen will be able to fill all of them. I’m sure there’s plenty of spots on special teams he could help out with too. 

This kid is far better than a preferred walk on.    He will be a great football player in college and I would hate to insult him by even making that suggestion.   Other D1 schools with far more to offer than Indiana does will offer scholarships.   We'd look ridiculous if we didn't.   New Pal is a 5A football school.  Look at those numbers.   Come on now....walk on???

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

This kid is far better than a preferred walk on.    He will be a great football player in college and I would hate to insult him by even making that suggestion.   Other D1 schools with far more to offer than Indiana does will offer scholarships.   We'd look ridiculous if we didn't.   New Pal is a 5A football school.  Look at those numbers.   Come on now....walk on???

He’s a really really good player, but also 5’8 200ish (generous) and not exceptionally fast or quick. I don’t see it at the B1G level personally. 

Hard to argue with those numbers, but that New Pal program is a machine which doesn’t hurt. Someone will get a good player, but again I don’t see a B1G kid there. 

41 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

He’s a really really good player, but also 5’8 200ish (generous) and not exceptionally fast or quick. I don’t see it at the B1G level personally. 

Hard to argue with those numbers, but that New Pal program is a machine which doesn’t hurt. Someone will get a good player, but again I don’t see a B1G kid there. 

All due respect?  (I know there is WAY too much arguing here...not my intent)    Kid bench presses in the 400's, squats in the 600's, and averages > 10 yards per carry because good teams can't tackle him (you ever tried tackling a short guy who squats 600 pounds and has 4% body fat?  I have.  Good luck.)  and because he is "fast enough."   He's also a terrific blocker and incredibly bright as a football player.  How tall, by the way is J'Shun Harris?   Anthony Thompson was 5'10" 190 in high school.   I don't know your background at all, but what don't you see?

Do you remember Maurice Jones-Drew?   I see a whole lot of him in Spegal.   Barry Sanders was 5'8" 205.  In the NFL.   By the way.

If I'm Tom Allen, I can't offer this kid fast enough.  Hell, so what if you miss??   New Pal IS a machine.  You don't think a school that close to IU's campus and that set records a year ago can't send kids who can help?    I'm telling you, he will get big time D1 offers.  There's a reason Michigan State and Wisconsin were there to watch him.    This is a no brainer to me.  I'd take 10 of him and dare teams to work harder or play harder than my team does.  He doesn't get an offer from Indiana, I'll bet you a cold beer he ends up in the Big Ten somewhere and we'll wish we'd offer.   And NOT said "he just doesn't check the boxes...."   Indiana does not have that luxury.  We need football players.  This kid is a badass football player.

38 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

All due respect?  (I know there is WAY too much arguing here...not my intent)    Kid bench presses in the 400's, squats in the 600's, and averages > 10 yards per carry because good teams can't tackle him (you ever tried tackling a short guy who squats 600 pounds and has 4% body fat?  I have.  Good luck.)  and because he is "fast enough."   He's also a terrific blocker and incredibly bright as a football player.  How tall, by the way is J'Shun Harris?   Anthony Thompson was 5'10" 190 in high school.   I don't know your background at all, but what don't you see?

Do you remember Maurice Jones-Drew?   I see a whole lot of him in Spegal.   Barry Sanders was 5'8" 205.  In the NFL.   By the way.

If I'm Tom Allen, I can't offer this kid fast enough.  Hell, so what if you miss??   New Pal IS a machine.  You don't think a school that close to IU's campus and that set records a year ago can't send kids who can help?    I'm telling you, he will get big time D1 offers.  There's a reason Michigan State and Wisconsin were there to watch him.    This is a no brainer to me.  I'd take 10 of him and dare teams to work harder or play harder than my team does.  He doesn't get an offer from Indiana, I'll bet you a cold beer he ends up in the Big Ten somewhere and we'll wish we'd offer.   And NOT said "he just doesn't check the boxes...."   Indiana does not have that luxury.  We need football players.  This kid is a badass football player.

I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing where a slot receiver (with great speed and quickness), nor the best player to ever play at Indiana (who like you said was bigger, and he was FAST), nor one of the best RB’s of all time at any level fits in comparing with Spegal.

MJD I kinda get, but I’m still not seeing that because he was a productive NFL player for a good chunk of time and that’s a pretty lofty comparison. I know the comparison comes down to size, but those guys all had speed and quickness that I’m not seeing here. 

B1G programs are doing their due dilligence, and he might end up with power 5 stuff, but B1G programs are also looking at Kyle King on these visits who has almost every MAC offering while Charlie has one Academy (who offers everyone with a good GPA) offer. 

He’s no question a beast in the weight room, no question a good kid from firsthand experience, and no question puts insane numbers up, but for right now a preferred (I’ll even give you *double extra preferred*) walk-on spot is about all I can do based on what I believe is a lack of explosion and top-end speed that a guy as short as him has to have at this level. 

BUUUUUUUT, it’s still early in his process and he could still change my mind if you don’t beat him to it. 

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Ok? Well he doesn’t have any offers so my comment stands until a D1 offer actually comes. I get that Army is D1 but that obviously comes with massive strings attached 

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

New Pal is 5A because of success factor. They are also notorious for running it up. They only play two schools that are 5A or larger. 

I'm not going to go through their schedule and pick it apart in the regular season, but top to bottom it's NOT a good schedule. 

They are 5A in the south now which helps because 5A in the north isn't all that great other than them beating Zionsville last year and then Dec Central in the state, they really didn't play any powers. 

Now... New Pal is a GREAT football program... but this kids numbers are inflated TREMENDOUSLY. 7 of their 14 games last year they scored more than 60pts. 

15 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing where a slot receiver (with great speed and quickness), nor the best player to ever play at Indiana (who like you said was bigger, and he was FAST), nor one of the best RB’s of all time at any level fits in comparing with Spegal.

MJD I kinda get, but I’m still not seeing that because he was a productive NFL player for a good chunk of time and that’s a pretty lofty comparison. I know the comparison comes down to size, but those guys all had speed and quickness that I’m not seeing here. 

B1G programs are doing their due dilligence, and he might end up with power 5 stuff, but B1G programs are also looking at Kyle King on these visits who has almost every MAC offering while Charlie has one Academy (who offers everyone with a good GPA) offer. 

He’s no question a beast in the weight room, no question a good kid from firsthand experience, and no question puts insane numbers up, but for right now a preferred (I’ll even give you *double extra preferred*) walk-on spot is about all I can do based on what I believe is a lack of explosion and top-end speed that a guy as short as him has to have at this level. 

BUUUUUUUT, it’s still early in his process and he could still change my mind if you don’t beat him to it. 

You DO know I see your last as a challenge, right??  =)

AT is a friend of mine.  I wouldn't disrespect him for anything, and he is one of my favorite people.  He was not much faster than Spegal is in high school.  When he trained with Walter Payton?  Yeah,....he got faster; but Spegal runs the same way.   Through people.  He gets lower than they are and he dares you to tackle him high.

You brought up the height question (as I referenced....checking a box), so I used others as a reference; that's all.  No direct comparison intended.  Spegal just turned 17.   But.....Spegal just put up some of the best numbers of all time against a better HS schedule than AT ever played.   I'm not comparing the two, just giving you a reference.  

A BIG back does not have to have every box checked.  The only one that's not with this kid is "explosive speed."   I don't have to tell you there have been plenty of backs who've been very successful in the BIG without it.  

I'll simply close with this...and I think this one's tough to argue.   Cole Gest is and was a very effective back.  if you watched him before he got hurt, he was one tough SOB.   Spegal is at least that good and I'd say better.   So we have an example now within our own program.   My examples to you were simply that 5'8" means nothing.   Whatever his weight is means nothing.  Heck, the best and toughest linebacker on my son's high school team weighs 155 pounds, and he tackles like a fish hitting a lure.  

13 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Ok? Well he doesn’t have any offers so my comment stands until a D1 offer actually comes. I get that Army is D1 but that obviously comes with massive strings attached 

Just wait.   My opinion is based on the eyeball test and experience.   Your comment stands.  Duly noted.   SMH

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

New Pal is 5A because of success factor. They are also notorious for running it up. They only play two schools that are 5A or larger. 

I'm not going to go through their schedule and pick it apart in the regular season, but top to bottom it's NOT a good schedule. 

They are 5A in the south now which helps because 5A in the north isn't all that great other than them beating Zionsville last year and then Dec Central in the state, they really didn't play any powers. 

Now... New Pal is a GREAT football program... but this kids numbers are inflated TREMENDOUSLY. 7 of their 14 games last year they scored more than 60pts. 

I don't agree with all of your schedule comments and I'll get to those in a minute, but this all means what?  His numbers are inflated?  Go watch a video and see how many of his yards are after contact.  How many tackles he broke.   It's not like Rutgers or Illinois have a roster full of kids who would physically overwhelm Spegal.  He's not an NFL player; but a good college player??  Absolutely.  Do we need every player we have to be an NFL guy, or as I believe we need gym rat, hard working tough, smart, willing football players?

I only needed to see him in 1 game to know what I'm looking at, but regardless of whether or not you think they played a bad schedule, they went 14-0 and won the 5A state championship.  They beat Center Grove 31-9.   At Center Grove.  Center Grove is a 6A team that beat Carmel (check me if I'm wrong, but Carmel was in the 6A state title game, yes?), Cathedral, Lawrence North, and Lawrence Central  and Ben Davis last season.   New Pal beat them by 22.  With a lot of help from Spegal.  

Now...I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about Indiana high school football; and you might be able to find a better win than a 3-touchdown victory over CG at their building.  But maybe not.  And yes, they beat a whole lot of bad teams too...I get that.  But....that has nothing to do with the kind of player Spegal is.   I have zero doubt he'll have plenty of better D1 offers before long.  

The kid's got a motor and is a bowling ball to boot.  And from what I understand he puts in the work to get to that motor going and bowling ball rolling.  Not sure if he'll end up at IU or some other B1G school but I do wish he and his family the best of luck during his recruiting process and final season at New Pal.

5 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I don't agree with all of your schedule comments and I'll get to those in a minute, but this all means what?  His numbers are inflated?  Go watch a video and see how many of his yards are after contact.  How many tackles he broke.   It's not like Rutgers or Illinois have a roster full of kids who would physically overwhelm Spegal.  He's not an NFL player; but a good college player??  Absolutely.  Do we need every player we have to be an NFL guy, or as I believe we need gym rat, hard working tough, smart, willing football players?

I only needed to see him in 1 game to know what I'm looking at, but regardless of whether or not you think they played a bad schedule, they went 14-0 and won the 5A state championship.  They beat Center Grove 31-9.   At Center Grove.  Center Grove is a 6A team that beat Carmel (check me if I'm wrong, but Carmel was in the 6A state title game, yes?), Cathedral, Lawrence North, and Lawrence Central  and Ben Davis last season.   New Pal beat them by 22.  With a lot of help from Spegal.  

Now...I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about Indiana high school football; and you might be able to find a better win than a 3-touchdown victory over CG at their building.  But maybe not.  And yes, they beat a whole lot of bad teams too...I get that.  But....that has nothing to do with the kind of player Spegal is.   I have zero doubt he'll have plenty of better D1 offers before long.  

Theres no real argument that it's a good schedule. 

Seems like a longshot to get an offer.  RB room is pretty stacked anyway and appears IU is at least in the running for some much more highly ranked kids.  

He may very well be better than his offer list but so far most schools aren't making him a priority for one reason or another.

Michigan has talked to him in passing and supposedly ran FB type player.....big colleges don’t see him as a RB due to his speed......I think he’s a fantastic player but unless IU’s plan A, B and probably C players fall through then I don’t see him getting an offer for full ride. Unfortunately IU is in the game with some highly productive and competitive running backs as well... Peny Boone, teammate of Rashawn Williams, he’s closing in on an announcement and right now things have heated up for IU in regards with him.....he’s 6’2” 225 and has an explosive side that coaches want to see. Again it’s not Charlie’s size it’s his speed from what I’ve heard. Also, I could have seen an offer had he been in last years class or the year before that one.....fill a signing class type thing, but with this class it will be one of the smaller signing classes IU has had in recent years. It will be full of Oline players a few DL, LB, DB 1 or 2, QB and a RB and maybe another 1 or 2 WR and of course possibly a TE. That’s just where IU is today. Due to holes from past classes. If Charlie gets an offer great I’d be happy to have him play for IU, but right now he’s not on a lot of coaches boards.