Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Basketball Blue Bloods

How Indiana can continue to be outclassed by programs who can't compete in terms of fanbase, revenue, facilities, tradition, etc is just beyond me.. What is the disconnect? What is going on here? The more I think about my 30 years of fanhood, the amount of money I spend on IU gear and planning trips to games, game tickets, etc., the more angry I get. How as a "blueblood" is IU the ONLY team in the top 5 to have not won a Championship in the last 10 - 15 years? It's been 32!! And in that 32 years, there have only been a hand-full of legit contenders. Totally unacceptable.
One final four since 1992

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Interest does not make you a blue blood. Winning does. We are a middle of the pack big ten team and have been for 20 years. They need to quit scheduling us against duke and nc like we are in the same class as them. Archie will need to have us in the top 3 of the big ten consistently before we can talk blue blood again imo.

I don't even know how to respond to this, but I'll try.  Go back 100 years.  That's "blue blood."  The guts of college basketball history.  It's exactly why the interest is still there.   Historically, we are absolutely in the same class as they are.  Why do you think Indiana was on national TV 5 times Crean's first season?  Good grief.

I don't even know how to respond to this, but I'll try.  Go back 100 years.  That's "blue blood."  The guts of college basketball history.  It's exactly why the interest is still there.   Historically, we are absolutely in the same class as they are.  Why do you think Indiana was on national TV 5 times Crean's first season?  Good grief.
We havent been in the same class as them for 30 years. You can only watch the 1987 championship game so many times. Wr are currently not an elite school but if you want to tell stories from 50 years ago then I guess.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Rumors are swirling that our President might be going to Georgia Tech. Can’t say I’d be sad. Athletics and Academics have been underwhelming during his tenure

For real? Let's pool some cash together and send the moving vans to Bryan House ASAP. Last van out stop by Cool Dad's house and throw him in the back too.

37 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

We havent been in the same class as them for 30 years. You can only watch the 1987 championship game so many times. Wr are currently not an elite school but if you want to tell stories from 50 years ago then I guess.

It has nothing to do with stories or watching old games.   You're missing the context.  The culture and tradition of this program goes back 100 years.  For myriad reasons, that tradition has taken a beating since 1993....absolutely true.  But, as this list shows, interest in the program itself is still elite regardless of the team on the floor.    The program and the team are very different things.  The list by itself doesn't say that, but the implication sure does.   That's why it matters if we're lazy.  Why it matters that we strayed from the "family."   Why it matters that we recruit players who understand where they are.  It has nothing at all to do with stories about 1976.

Three programs have won NCAA titles in four different decades.  Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina.  That's sustained success that makes you a Blue Blood.  Our recent history is admittedly garbage however.
While that is true the other two are winning them still and we are not. Or have we even been close except 2002.

56 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

While that is true the other two are winning them still and we are not. Or have we even been close except 2002.

That's not the point, though.   That Indiana has maintained the level of interest among it's fan base it has,despite even a modicum of success IS the point.

That's not the point, though.   That Indiana has maintained the level of interest among it's fan base it has,despite even a modicum of success IS the point.

There once was a brick wall... that brick wall only faced one way... that brick wall didn’t interpret the beauty surrounding it...

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes i get that iu is still very popular program that has prodeced average results for 20 years. Iu will likely always have a big following. They did even in creans 2nd and 3rd year which were awful.

I think it all depends on how you want to define "blue blood." If blue blood is history and tradition, IU will always be a blue blood. If you define it as sustained success, I'd have to say we have lost blue blood status.

In terms of coverage, IU will generally get paired with other top programs and the team will be nationally televised for years to come; but it won't necessarily be because we're considered a blue blood program. IU has a very large alumni base and is the state school in a state that produces a lot of talent and will always be linked to the sport. TV stations show the games that draw the most viewers and IU fits that mold regardless of their performance in a given year. Now, if fans become apathetic and stop watching, that's another story...

IMG_1311.jpg
My son played in a basketball tournament in Bedford this past weekend. Pretty neat to see two former Hoosiers coaching a team together, Todd Lindeman and Matt Nover. Pretty sure I saw a big John Deere tractor in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app