Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2019) F Grace Waggoner to IUWBB

#5. She averaged 20/10 as a junior and led Rivet to the 1A title game. A quick look and she's putting up some nice numbers this year.

@kylesokeland: Vincennes Rivet senior Grace Waggoner announces she will play basketball at Indiana University. The potential Indiana All-Star was previously committed to Evansville.

Schedule

3 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

#5. She averaged 20/10 as a junior and led Rivet to the 1A title game. A quick look and she's putting up some nice numbers this year.

@kylesokeland: Vincennes Rivet senior Grace Waggoner announces she will play basketball at Indiana University. The potential Indiana All-Star was previously committed to Evansville.

Vincennes  Rivet’s Grace Waggoner will be taking her basketball  talents to Indiana University.  Waggoner announced she would be wearing the cream and crimson next season this morning at a press conference at Rivet.  Waggoner will not sign an athletic scholarship at IU  as she already has a full ride with here Lily Endowment scholarship.  She will be a preferred walk on at IU.   Waggoner holds the Rivet  school records for most points in a single season, most points in a single game and most rebounds in a single season.  She is currently averaging around 22 points and 8 rebounds a game  for the 19-0 Lady Patriots.  In addition to being a standout in basketball, Waggoner has been a two time state finalist in golf and a state finalists in track and field.   She is number one in her class with a 4.0 GPA.  She is the daughter of Charlie and Kristi Waggoner .

wuzr.com

IUWBB: IU to add Rivet’s Grace Waggoner as preferred walk-on

Vincennes Rivet’s Grace Waggoner expected her talents on the basketball court to help pay for a good education.

It turns out, Waggoner’s academic talents helped her find an opportunity to play Big Ten basketball.

Waggoner, an Indiana Junior All-Star, will be a preferred walk-on for the IU women’s basketball program next season. She was awarded a Lilly Scholarship in December, which will pay her tuition.

While she will not be on an athletic scholarship, Waggoner essentially becomes the Hoosiers’ third in-state commit of the 2019 class, joining Warren Central point guard Shaila Beeler and Bedford North Lawrence forward Jorie Allen. IU is also bringing in posts Mackenzie Holmes (Maine) and Arielle Wisne (Colorado) as part of next year’s freshman class.

Rvet’s 6-foot senior originally committed to Evansville in September but decommitted in November. Shortly after winning the Lilly Scholarship, Waggoner said IU assistant Janese Constantine reached out about an opportunity to walk on.

“Having an academic scholarship is just as good, if not better, than an athletic scholarship,” Waggoner said. “I know I don’t plan to play in the WNBA. Most girls that play college basketball don’t. But I do plan on having a good, successful four years while getting a wonderful education. The Lilly Scholarship took so much pressure off of me. It let me put my education first, and I also get the opportunity IU gave me to play basketball.”

Waggoner plans on pursuing a degree through the Kelley School of Business.

“(IU’s coaches said) you are just the same as everyone else,” Waggoner added. “You have a jersey, you have the same opportunity for playing time as everybody ,and we are expecting you to work as hard as everybody.”

Waggoner currently averages 22 points and 8 rebounds per game for a 19-0 Rivet squad. As a junior, Waggoner helped lead the Patriots to the Class 1A state title game.

She expects to compete at the two- or three-guard spots in college. IU happens to be graduating a former walk-on, Valparaiso High’s Grace Withrow, this year.

“I’m very long, I run track, so I think I bring speed and agility. Defense is my strong suit,” Waggoner said. “I think that’s something I’ll really pursue in college. … All the girls who play at that level can shoot the ball and score the basketball, but defense, it’s the biggest thing, and doing the dirty work.”

The fact that Waggoner will be a part of IU’s program is somewhat surreal. As a young basketball player, she would think about playing for the Hoosiers. She went to IU’s elite camp the summer before her sophomore year.

Now she will have a chance to represent a small school like Rivet at the Big Ten level. She already has an example to follow in the Hoosiers’ all-time leading scorer, Tyra Buss.

“We may be little but we are mighty,” Waggoner said. “Another reporter mentioned Tyra, she came from a small school in Mt. Carmel and she shook the world. Not to compare myself to Tyra, because she’s phenomenal, but she paved the way for girls like that from a small school.

“It doesn’t matter where you come from, it’s what you bring to the table. I’m excited to present what I have and be a part of the family up there.”

Rivet improved to 21-0 tonight with a 59-36 win over Washington. Grace had 15 pts and closing in on another record.

@rjlopez587: @Rick_Sports10 Meurer (1,657) and Rivet's Grace Waggoner (1,651) both likely to top the Knox County scoring record of 1,663 (boys record is 1,665) in home games Tuesday.

Quite a scoring battle going on down in Knox County.

North Knox Star Makinzi Meurer scored 26 points to pass Grace Waggoner today, to take over Knox County career scoring record. The two seniors will enter sectionals next week with Meurer at 1,721 and Waggoner at 1,705.

@Rick_Sports10: Grace Waggoner had 26 points and Tia Tolbert 20 in Vincennes Rivet regional semifinal win over Lanesville 70-33.

Rivet (27-0) will face the winner of West Washington/Tecumseh tonight @ 7:30 in the regional championship.