Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

killerbeezer

Tree of Frustration

Was he the best coach in America in 2010 after being there a few years? Personally I feel Jay Wright is the best coach in America.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My personal vote right now is Tony Bennett. Jay Wright is way up there. Last few years Beilein fits with that group. Izzo sadly is in the mix.

My personal vote right now is Tony Bennett. Jay Wright is way up there. Last few years Beilein fits with that group. Izzo sadly is in the mix.

I can agree with Bennett to a degree. Losing to a 16 drops him to me. Beilein is up there for sure. I would say top 5. To me Izzo is top 10. Coach K is up there. I still think Williams is up there. Self is up there. Wright is having a down year for sure. His class next year is real good. They won’t be down for too long. Not sure there is much separation between 1-10 tbh. It’s personal perception and desire between recruiting, results, and titles. Imo

This. Although for the first time in awhile I doubt Izzo is in my top 5. 

Yeah I would have Izzo right outside of mine but in game coaching there is maybe only one or so better. If you give him and coach K the same players every year for the last 30 years, I feel Izzo has maybe one or more titles than K but recruiting is probably the biggest part of coaching anymore imo.

17 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah I would have Izzo right outside of mine but in game coaching there is maybe only one or so better. If you give him and coach K the same players every year for the last 30 years, I feel Izzo has maybe one or more titles than K but recruiting is probably the biggest part of coaching anymore imo.

Yeah feel like there’s a triad of 

In game coaching

Player development 

Recruiting 

I feel like the top 2 used to be more important or at least all were equal but in the one and done era Recruiting has gained such an importance. 

In a hypothetical world where coaches could have whomever they wanted I think Beilein and Wright might be the kings of college basketball. 

Agree. Having talent in the right places has always been the key. Then getting them to play together. Sometimes talent is unheralded and doesn’t get recognized.

Wichita State has been a good example of this. They have had some dudes over the last 5 years. Struggling a bit this year.

I think Michigan is good at finding those guys.

Gonzaga as well.

Rating services are pretty darn good but a group always slips through the cracks every year.

You realize how long it took to get him to this point right? Even at Michigan? You really feel the guy is the best coach in America and hasn’t won a title?

Right now he is the last two years. He had no business making the final last year with the roster he had and yet he did. Im not comparing him to archie if thats what you are getting at.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Right now he is the last two years. He had no business making the final last year with the roster he had and yet he did. Im not comparing him to archie if thats what you are getting at.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I am not either. Apples and oranges for another 25 years. If Wright only won one title I might agree, with 2 recently that is my reasoning.

Devonte Green is definitely a very frustrating player. He is very talented with his on the ball defense and offensive capabilities, but his selfishness with the ball is what really hurts him. He forces shots or passes because he tries to drive in traffic then gets jammed up. If he goes with a team first mentality then it would make a world of difference. He helps the team, but equally hurts us when he gets into his selfish mode.

Verses Jones is another, but also feel like he gets a lot of unnecessary negativity. He was someone that was brought here in the worst time, and felt he was tasked to do way more than he was able to. No offense to Verdell, but he should of been a bench player on a normal Indiana type team, but he was needed to be much more than what he should have been. The frustration with me is because of his constant holding onto the ball at the top of the key for almost 20 seconds. That was beyond frustrating!

Hanner was another one. So much athleticism, but could really do much else besides jump. Didn’t really improve much in his time here.

Pritchard is another. He did well his freshman year, but seemed to really regress every year after that. Struggled to even make layups. We really needed him to backup Zeller and he was a bust. Never really got Pritchard.

Those are what I can remember at this time. Probably the biggest one was Bracey Wright. My goodness was that a terrible time with IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tony Bennett is as overrated as it gets. Runs a system of great defense where I’ll give him credit. Runs an offense for 5th graders. Sadly though... Archie looks to be in the same mold...

Yet the last 2 games, the announcers mentioned IU's offense was top 2.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 thoughts — NEWKIRK, Newkirk, n-e-w-k-i-r-k!  I’m sure he was a good kid, tried to help fill a position gap for FCTC, just never had the mustard to run the show effectively and make good decisions. Was tough to watch him bring it up. Hope he is successful in whatever he chooses to do now.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, Brass Cannon said:

For the first time this season IUs offense is higher ranked in Kenpom than defense. A lot of that is having to play Fitzner so much the last couple games and teams basically scoring at will. 

I know our offense can be frustrating but it’s not the total problem. 

I'm sure Fitzner is a great kid. But please, please can we play someone else if its needed? Like someone had previously mentioned, Clifton isn't much better on D because he looks lost a lot of times. But at least your playing someone that has 2 yr eligibility remaining so he could only grow from the experience. I don't see how Moore could be worse than Fitzner anyway. We've seen Moore get beat on defense then be able to recover with his length and athleticism to still block the shot. vs Penn St (maybe?) Can't remember exactly.