Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

killerbeezer

Tree of Frustration

It seems Devonte Green has inherited the mantle of most frustrating player. Likely from Newkirk who got it from Troy. This surely goes to back to before Verdell Jones. How far back does the tree go?

This is purely meant in jest but I’m trying to recall those notoriously frustrating IU players. 

16 minutes ago, killerbeezer said:

It seems Devonte Green has inherited the mantle of most frustrating player. Likely from Newkirk who got it from Troy. This surely goes to back to before Verdell Jones. How far back does the tree go?

This is purely meant in jest but I’m trying to recall those notoriously frustrating IU players. 

Awesome thread idea!

My first contribution:

”DAMMIT LINDEMAN!”

Josh Newkirk really got me. Similar or more than Devonte Green.

2 guys that frustrated me in different ways. These guys we both ok players but never reached their potential.

Marshall Strickland and Rob Johnson. ( I know it’s probably unpopular but RJ would drive me nuts at times). Never seen a guy step out of bounds so many times shooting 3s.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

Mandeville
Andre Patterson
Lindeman
Charlie Miller (really thought he was gonna be special after his first season)
Jeremiah Rivers(short lived iu career)
Robbie Eggers
Luke Jimenez
Larry Richardson (minus his 1 big game he had. Anyone else remember?)

Anyone remember Cem Dinc? Whatever happened to that guy?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Transferred to some smaller school and had a similar lack of success. I'll do you one better though, the long forgotten 3rd member of the Vic/Sheehey class.....Guy-Marc Michel. Was ruled ineligible. Apparently he's been playing professional ball overseas.

Same goes with Robert Rothbart in the 2004 class.

I am a little surprised to see some bad players on this list.   Why would anyone be frustrated because a bad player didn't meet inflated or misguided expectations?

I was on a rec team that beat a team Eggers was on by 30, roughly 5 years after he graduated.  Bad player.

Larry Richardson was uncoordinated and had the touch of a blacksmith.  Bad player.  Never had a chance to be good.

Luke Jiminez?  Someone was seriously frustrated with Luke Jiminez?

Charlie Miller's problem was he was a 6'6" lefty that came here the season after another certain 6'6" lefty graduated.  He could never fill those shoes.

Lindeman was not a good player, but I wonder if anyone remembers he shot 62% from the field as a senior, and averaged 10 points, 4 rebounds, and a block a game?

Meeks?  Was essentially a 20 minute guy who had a career 3:1 A/TO ratio and is 4th all time in assists at IU.  Why is he on the list?  Never was a true scorer...not even in high school.  I don't get that one at all.

My list?   I'll leave off the players who shouldn't have been here in the first place like Priller, Hoetzel, April, Jurkin, Michele, Jobe, etc.

Starts with frustration with our administration for not taking the hiring process seriously for 17 years.   Mike Davis frustrated me more than any human being for the entirety of his stay at Indiana.   Crean a close second.  Some of the kids those two recruited were embarrassing.

Bracey Wright

Richard Mandeville

Verdell Jones (Captain Turnover and he stood more than any player in IU history)

Jason Collier and Luke Recker - two very highly touted kids with all kinds of ability; never bought into Knight and never did what they could have at Indiana.

Donald Perry (Captain Turnover II - not as many, but he had a knack for poor timing)

Pat Ewing (anyone remember he was here for 2 years?)

Sean Kline

DeVonte Green - yeah...he has to be here, but improvement is possible.  Saw it Sunday.

AJ Ratliff - always thought he could have been SO much better than he was.

Joey Shaw - his dad's suits were worth the price of admission; but this is a kid who said he would be an NBA star.

Armon Bassett

Tom Pritchard

Top 3 :  Stanford Robinson (no, he shouldn't have been here, either; but since he was...when does a kid change shooting hands in the middle of his college career??)

Noah Vonleh - he couldn't have cared less about Indiana University and mailed in most of his games.  I have no use for that kid at all.  Stats be damned, that kid was here to go to the NBA.  That's it.  His team was 17-15 and he made nobody better.  There were 3 NBA players on that team, and they went 17-15.  Anyone could easily see after that year what a crock Tom Crean was.

Jeremy Hollowell.  Was a PIA in high school, never worked hard or made himself better, was lazy, couldn't have cared less.  Never has a kid with so much ability gotten so little from it.

Charlie Miller
Richard Mandeville
Evan Fitzner
BRACEY WRIGHT BRACEY WRIGHT BRACEY WRONG BRACEY WRIGHT
Giomi
Richard mandeville yeah he eas supposedly a top 25 player. Bust. Collier was like top 5 but mostly a bust at IU. Charlie miller was top of 30 i think.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Tree of Frustration." 

For me, the most frustrating player of the past 40 years was Jay Edwards. Not because his play was frustrating, but because he had a truckload of talent and it all went up in smoke -- literally. Bob Knight has said he pretty much never had a problem with what Edwards did on the court, but he had terrible personal habits (i.e. -- he apparently liked to get stoned to the beejezus belt). 

Plus, he had no business going to the NBA after two years. I just never though he was an NBA-caliber player, but thought he was a great college player and could've been greater had he stayed at IU. 

In 1991, can you imagine a starting lineup of
Calbert Cheaney 
Eric Anderson
Matt Nover (only because you gotta have some size)
Greg Graham 
Jay Edwards

with Damon Bailey, Pat Graham, Lyndon Jones, Chris Reynolds and Jamaal Meeks available off the bench. Or maybe you start Bailey and have Greg Graham come off the bench. Or to keep the legendary Marion duo together, you start Lyndon Jones and have Greg Graham and Bailey come off the bench. 

No matter how you line it up, that's some serious firepower! 

But someone who shall remain nameless felt firing up the hash pipe was more important than basketball. 

For me, the most frustrating player of the past 40 years was Jay Edwards. Not because his play was frustrating, but because he had a truckload of talent and it all went up in smoke -- literally. Bob Knight has said he pretty much never had a problem with what Edwards did on the court, but he had terrible personal habits (i.e. -- he apparently liked to get stoned to the beejezus belt). 
Plus, he had no business going to the NBA after two years. I just never though he was an NBA-caliber player, but thought he was great  and could've been greater at IU. 
Calbert Cheaney 
Eric Anderson
Greg Graham 
Jay Edwards

with Damon Bailey, Pat Graham, Lyndon Jones, Chris Reynolds and Jamaal Meeks available off the bench. Or maybe you start Bailey and have Greg Graham come off the bench. Or to keep the legendary Marion duo together, you start Lyndon Jones and have Greg Graham and Bailey come off the bench. 
But someone who shall remain nameless felt firing up the hash pipe was more important than basketball. 
Dont forget funderburke who left. That team would have been insane. The next year with alan henderson would have been crazy. Possibly could off won back to back titles. What could have been.

Plus, he had no business going to the NBA after two years. I just never though he was an NBA-caliber player, but thought he was great  and could've been greater at IU. 
Calbert Cheaney 
Eric Anderson
Greg Graham 
Jay Edwards

I was in high school then and thought that would be the norm at iu for a long time. Boy was i wrong.