Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Michigan - 1/6/19 @ 4:30 ET

2 hours ago, HooHooHoo22 said:

Do you guys think the constant slow starts has to do with not being well prepared or what ? Why do you guys think we’re constantly getting off to slow starts ?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There were some thoughts from Archie Miller about that during his radio show this week: 

On Sunday’s loss at Crisler Center: “We did not control the controllable things. Why are we getting in trouble early? Why are we taking punches? To me, the identity of your team for the full 40 minutes, how we start the race — we’re not running fast enough. We’re not running hard enough at the start of the race and then we’re playing catch-up. We have to come out tougher defensively and more disciplined on offense. The freelancing on offense in the first four-to-six minutes is not giving us quality offense. … We shoot too many perimeter jump shots, then we get back to what we do. If you watched the second half, we had a really efficient second half. We got great shots. We didn’t finish as well around the basket and we had some ones that didn’t go down (but) I think we had it to seven with 11 minutes to go. That’s a workable margin for us. Give them credit. They were on their game, too, on the other end. We struggled to defend on the pick-and-roll. There’s a lot to learn from the game, but we have to get back to work because going to Maryland is going to be just as difficult.”

On whether IU’s lack of toughness at the start of games is partly a mental hurdle: “We’re a big game on the schedule. That we’re an improved team this year has made a heightened awareness of it. I felt it against Butler. I felt the charge in the Louisville game. I felt the charge in Crisler Arena. At the same time, it’s part of it to understand that we are a big game. For our team, especially at home, it’s understanding how ready you have to be to come off the ball and set the tone. Setting the tone, to me, starts with your upperclass players. For me, we’re gonna have to look at Juwan and say, ‘Set the tone and start demanding the ball.’ Our guards have to think more about playmaking ability rather than trying to shoot early in the game. Think about making somebody better. Make the extra pass. Drive not to shoot, but to pass.”

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/01/highlights-from-archie-millers-weekly-radio-show-6/

46 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I saw a Tweet today the team is practicing with a UA brand basketball because MD is a UA school and there are subtle differences in the feel of a basketball depending upon the brand name.

Playing with different brand basketballs in my high school (see: glory) days without being prepared for it was a nightmare.