Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs. Illinois - Thurs., 1/3 @ 7:00

Just my opinion but there are some on here that only show up, and post their thoughts, when the team isn’t playing well. That’s while winning or losing. That’s just something I have no desire in reading, especially in a game thread.

There are a few that will only post positive comments at anytime regardless of how the team is playing. That’s annoying too but less so than the always negative no matter what so I can say I told you so.

I’m not calling anyone out but anyone who visits the board frequently can probably name those type of posters.

“Back in the day” it seemed someone would post something negative and then stats, info, or trends would be looked into and discussed. We’d eventually get around to possible ways to fix that problem or what we’d like to see change. Now, we have “hot takes” and posters disappearing after posting negatives all game until the team turns it around.

I loved going back and forth with JSHoosier, not just to see his avatar every other post, because we had some good discussions that looked into stats and trends that made us both do a bit of research. I can’t recall the last time I actually dug into stats to discuss on here because... I look at the poster and immediately know they’re not really looking to discuss a topic but rather to post their “hot take.” It’s old and I’d rather just enjoy the games.

Furthermore, look at the prediction league to see what posters are close to having a beat on this team. It’s telling when posters are predicting scores that won’t be remotely close. I get that some think/hope this team is better than they are but that’s not reality. This is a grind it out team that’s not going to really bury in team in the Big Ten to include a not really good Ill team at home.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

JSHoosier has far and away has the best avatars on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The negativity sucks, okay great. So do the guys that point out our flaws now while we are winning get credit for understanding them when we go on a losing streak because of those same flaws, or is it just still negatively?
I understand we have injuries and we are a work in process, but I don’t see anything wrong with talking about the holes in our game. Archie has talked about the exact same things that are bothering many on here and if he doesn’t a media reporter reminds him. Looking at my crystal ball I see a bumpy road ahead, but I sure would love to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To me there is a difference of discussing holes that need to be fixed and negative posts I'm talking about.
Example
Player A leaves his man wide open for a 3.
Poster A immediately types in the game thread "WTF player A, you can't leave him wide open. Put him on the bench" or something similar.
Player A makes great defensive stop 10 minutes later and stops a wide open lay up.
The previous poster posts nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I would submit between his own turnovers and bad shots, he gives away at least as many possessions as he takes back.  I think if Archie had another option, he'd use it.  I'm shocked he's not recruiting more guards and shooters.  

Completely agree.

I suspect the coaches were expecting that Green could be molded into a consistent PG, but it just doesn't look like that's going to happen (not for lack of effort).  I also have to believe they expected to get more shooting/scoring from Fitzner.  Whatever the case, those are glaring weaknesses.  Rob is sorely missed, but can't be expected to give us 30+ minutes a game every time.

I don't know if there are any plans to look for a 5th year player for next season, but hopefully we're prepared to beat the bushes hard.

Rewatching the game. I noticed Morgan changed his feet position on his FTs. Anyone else notice this

Made the same comment to my bro-in-law. He’s standing at a 45 degree angle away from the basket instead of squaring up. He was money in the first half. If we can hit at around 75% from the line I like our chances in conference road games a lot more.

Made the same comment to my bro-in-law. He’s standing at a 45 degree angle away from the basket instead of squaring up. He was money in the first half. If we can hit at around 75% from the line I like our chances in conference road games a lot more.

I noticed Romeo is 81% in B1G play

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I assumed, and am probably wrong, that he adjusted due to the shot he took in the thigh late in second half.

I assumed, and am probably wrong, that he adjusted due to the shot he took in the thigh late in second half.

I thought he might of changed it because he was under 50% for the year. He was shooting at the angle in the 1St half

He also only took one dribble and immediately shot which, although I’m not 100% sure, I don’t remember him doing that either. Probably changing it up to make him think more about his form than actually making the shot. Seems to be a psychological issue with the team.

20 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I could swear I heard the play by play guy say rank was one of the top offensive teams in the B1G. I could have heard wrong, but if that is true then our offense is better than 4/10.

Prior to last game, I believe we had the 2nd beat effective field goal % in the country.

15 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

The negativity sucks, okay great. So do the guys that point out our flaws now while we are winning get credit for understanding them when we go on a losing streak because of those same flaws, or is it just still negatively?

I understand we have injuries and we are a work in process, but I don’t see anything wrong with talking about the holes in our game. Archie has talked about the exact same things that are bothering many on here and if he doesn’t a media reporter reminds him. Looking at my crystal ball I see a bumpy road ahead, but I sure would love to be wrong.

No they don't. We all see the flaws and potential trippping points. 

Rewatching the game. I noticed Morgan changed his feet position on his FTs. Anyone else notice this

Noticed this also. He looked more confident in my opinion. Whatever works...

On 1/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Uspshoosier said:

I believe this started last game... Unless I am combining I think I noticed it during the Illinois game.... 

I know FTs are so mental, I mean people stand all over the place, side to side, right on the line to way back (who was it that shot Deep Free throws for us a few years back .... maybe more than a few)... Heck I don't care if they all go Granny... just get em in the bucket.

EDIT... Oops just noticed I was in the Illinois game thread and not the Michigan game thread... yes I noticed this change as well... (this game).

I believe this started last game... Unless I am combining I think I noticed it during the Illinois game.... 
I know FTs are so mental, I mean people stand all over the place, side to side, right on the line to way back (who was it that shot Deep Free throws for us a few years back .... maybe more than a few)... Heck I don't care if they all go Granny... just get em in the bucket.

EDIT... Oops just noticed I was in the Illinois game thread and not the Michigan game thread... yes I noticed this change as well... (this game).
Bracey Wright stood way off the line shooting FTs.