Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs. Illinois - Thurs., 1/3 @ 7:00

9 hours ago, yogisballin said:

Did you see anything outside of maybe Romeo and juwan to be much excited about?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know you weren't speaking to me but just wanted to add that the game was definitely rough. To be excited about.. I was very pleased Justin Smith's improved hedging and his general defense on his guy, staying down along with help side. I thought Devonte was miserable on offense but VERY good on D with Frazier. He appeared to be sweating his arse off last night too so not sure if he was focusing purely on defense or maybe he isn't feeling the best. 

The thing I'm not excited about is how snake bitten this team is.. Juwan and Deron banged up. We are an injury away from this season heading the wrong direction. I could be way wrong but I feel like we are taking concussion protocol over the top, as a program decision. 

1 hour ago, bleedhoosier said:

I know you weren't speaking to me but just wanted to add that the game was definitely rough. To be excited about.. I was very pleased Justin Smith's improved hedging and his general defense on his guy, staying down along with help side. I thought Devonte was miserable on offense but VERY good on D with Frazier. He appeared to be sweating his arse off last night too so not sure if he was focusing purely on defense or maybe he isn't feeling the best. 

The thing I'm not excited about is how snake bitten this team is.. Juwan and Deron banged up. We are an injury away from this season heading the wrong direction. I could be way wrong but I feel like we are taking concussion protocol over the top, as a program decision. 

Yea I’d like to know more about the concussion protocol.  With the amount of time Race has been out it seems he should have been hospitalized days from the blow.  Robs didn’t seem like anything major, and it’s been 2 weeks.  Colts TE Eric Ebron left the game against NYG with a concussion and was back a week later against TENN.  I’ve seen race car drivers take major hits and be back the next day - granted they probably couldn’t have passed a baseline test.  It just seems the protocol is extremely conservative to the point of being eye brow raising to me.  

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

DeVonte Green to me is like finger-painting.  Just...a mess all over the place, and no structure whatsoever.

How he hasn't (seemingly) learned one thing in 3 years about being a good team mate just baffles me.  It's almost like he makes a couple of decent passes, then says "okay, it's my turn," and throws up some garbage of a shot.   Given his shot selection and propensity for turnovers,  I truly believe he is a net-negative for this basketball team as often as a net positive.  To back that statement up a bit..

In conference games in which he's played, or non conference against decent opponents he is a combined 13-37 from the floor with 17 assists and 15 turnovers.

On offense, yes.

On defense he is consistently a net-positive, and one of the players that consistently causes the opponent to turn the ball over.

• Justin Smith is very much a plus defender, and he seems to be learning how to avoid his trouble spots on offense. 
  • DeRon Davis is starting to look more athletic (for him). His defensive hedging and recoveries are MUCH better. And, he finishes well at the rim.
  • DeVonte Green, Zach McBobbers, and Al Durham are all plus defenders. Damezi? Ohhhboy he was not good.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Justin Smith is very much a plus defender, and he seems to be learning how to avoid his trouble spots on offense. 
  • DeRon Davis is starting to look more athletic (for him). His defensive hedging and recoveries are MUCH better. And, he finishes well at the rim.
  • DeVonte Green, Zach McBobbers, and Al Durham are all plus defenders. Damezi? Ohhhboy he was not good.

Damezi was yanked pretty quickly after losing his guy and giving up a layup.

Something I've thought about several times this season is how it seems everyone has the green light to heave up a 3 at anytime.  Back in the day I remember Knight talking about how you only get so many shots in a game and how you run the offense so the best shooters get those shots.  I have to wonder how much better Green would be if he was told that he's not allowed to shoot - just run the offense and play defense.  Similarly, despite what we've stated in the past, I'd be fine if McRoberts would decline the shot unless it's a gimme.

I think you can measure how much better this team is than last year by McRoberts.  Last year he was one of the best players on the court for us and now he's a sub and it shows a dropoff when he comes in for Morgan or Smith (nothing against him - he's a favorite and plays hard every night).  In order to step up to the next level we need better shooting and a second quality point guard, IMO.

50 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

Another thing on Green....
He is NOT the guy to bring the ball up under full court pressure or inbounding the ball under pressure. He gets my vote of NO confidence in those situations.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Who would you give confidence to?

To me it HAS to be Green.... I don't trust Romeo, Al, Damezi, McRoberts, Juwan.... and honestly I trust Green more than Rob in that situation... I have always been stubborn on Green but for sure he is the best ball handler on the team.

Who would you give confidence to?
To me it HAS to be Green.... I don't trust Romeo, Al, Damezi, McRoberts, Juwan.... and honestly I trust Green more than Rob in that situation... I have always been stubborn on Green but for sure he is the best ball handler on the team.

I’d personally take Romeo, Juwan, or even Al. It’s about more than just ball handing and I think Green has some of the worst decision making on the team

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Something I've thought about several times this season is how it seems everyone has the green light to heave up a 3 at anytime.  Back in the day I remember Knight talking about how you only get so many shots in a game and how you run the offense so the best shooters get those shots.  I have to wonder how much better Green would be if he was told that he's not allowed to shoot - just run the offense and play defense.  Similarly, despite what we've stated in the past, I'd be fine if McRoberts would decline the shot unless it's a gimme.

I think you can measure how much better this team is than last year by McRoberts.  Last year he was one of the best players on the court for us and now he's a sub and it shows a dropoff when he comes in for Morgan or Smith (nothing against him - he's a favorite and plays hard every night).  In order to step up to the next level we need better shooting and a second quality point guard, IMO.

They only attempted 12 last night and over half of those were from Romeo and Juwan.

I agree that Green needs to run the offense more, but he has a solid shot at times. Not sure if you want to completely take that away.

McRoberts is what I thought he would be this summer. A guy that does some of the immeasurable at times, but is a liability on offense. When the ball goes to him, it seems the whole offense stalls. He did have four steals though. He just needs to be more active on offense.

Just now, Andowen1990IU said:

They only attempted 12 last night and over half of those were from Romeo and Juwan.

I agree that Green needs to run the offense more, but he has a solid shot at times. Not sure if you want to completely take that away.

McRoberts is what I thought he would be this summer. A guy that does some of the immeasurable at times, but is a liability on offense. When the ball goes to him, it seems the whole offense stalls. He did have four steals though. He just needs to be more active on offense.

I wonder if his back issues have messed up his shot was stroking it pretty good at beginning of season

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wonder if his back issues have messed up his shot was stroking it pretty good at beginning of season

He was/is shooting it at about %40 this season, but taking less than 1 attempt per game. That is why I go nuts when he has an open one and doesn't take it. There was one play specifically that comes to mind where he was open for a corner three from a pass from the post by Morgan. He holds the ball until the defender crashes him, dribbles it around trying to get rid of it, realizes shot clock is set to expire, and then throws up a corner jumper that hits the front of the rim.

He did airmail one last night, but you got to recover from that. We don't need him to take step back jumpers, but when he is wide open when Morgan and Langford are sucking in defense, he needs to shoot it. Look at how Smith has adjusted these last few games. The first few, he was trying to create. Now he is letting the game come to him through Langford and Morgan. I just wish McRoberts would do the same.

2 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

He was/is shooting it at about %40 this season, but taking less than 1 attempt per game. That is why I go nuts when he has an open one and doesn't take it. There was one play specifically that comes to mind where he was open for a corner three from a pass from the post by Morgan. He holds the ball until the defender crashes him, dribbles it around trying to get rid of it, realizes shot clock is set to expire, and then throws up a corner jumper that hits the front of the rim.

He did airmail one last night, but you got to recover from that. We don't need him to take step back jumpers, but when he is wide open when Morgan and Langford are sucking in defense, he needs to shoot it. Look at how Smith has adjusted these last few games. The first few, he was trying to create. Now he is letting the game come to him through Langford and Morgan. I just wish McRoberts would do the same.

What I am saying if his shot is messed up from an injury he’s probably making the right call 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What I am saying if his shot is messed up from an injury he’s probably making the right call 

I totally agree, but I think at times it hinders the offense. Archie doesn't really have a choice on the matter, and luckily he is a solid contributor on defense. Hopefully he can get health and understand his role in time to contribute by the end of the season.