Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

Stevie Boy Wonder Fired at UCLA

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

2)  I see some real vitriol toward Steve here and I don't get it.  

I tend to agree with this.  Granted I'm not a huge fan of his, but he was a great player here who brought us our last championship.  He came back for the '87 team reunion and was well received.

Yeah the Pierre Pierce situation was pretty bad, but that aside, I'm grateful for everything he did for IU.

I don't get why such a large portion of the fan base wants to flat out see him fail.  It's weird.

4 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I personally take issue with how he handled himself in Iowa regarding Pierre Pierce. That being said, I don't really care that he got fired or what UCLA does moving forward. I do wish that Wilkes came to IU thought.

So do you also personally take issue with the multiple times Bob Knight trivialized rape then?  Don't have a double standard here.

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I tend to agree. Everyone points to the Pierce situation as the deal breaker though.

Dakich, Alford, Knight, Crean, Sampson get most of the hate. I can see the reasons for it but I tend to think the Alford, Knight, Dakich stuff is over the top

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think is just a change in the demographic. There is a split of IU fans around 35 years old. Those older believe that the old guard can do no wrong because of the great things that happened in the 80s. Everyone younger than that only know Alford as the legendary player with a less than stellar coaching record and a guy who covered up rape accusations, Knight as the legendary coach that will do paid meet and greets at Purdue and for a politician but refuses to do anything for the IU fan base or more importantly his former players and has said some pretty bad stuff, and Dan Dakich who gets in twitter fights with frat bros because he believes he "gets it" better than everyone else. 

Not saying I agree with these assessments entirely, and I agree the good they did gets lost in the fray, but I definitely think that has something to do with it.

He’s still a name, he’s had modest intermittent success, and he’s still young enough. But, wow, fired in a very high profile fashion mid season because his team just flat quit on him. Doesn’t get much uglier than that. It might be easier for an AD to sell trustees a pay scandal than that. And given his giant ego, what would he willing to look at? I imagine he would expect better offers than someone like Crean got. Personally, I wouldn’t touch him. I don't think the vitriol towards him is unreasonable at all. The Man-of-God, audience-of-1 line makes clear that he learned nothing from the Pierce incident. A self-righteous creep without a hint of introspection.

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

His perfect fit was New Mexico. Should have stayed there. 

Completely agree, but hard to fault someone for reaching for the brass ring, but my question is what in Alford's coaching experience made UCLA think he was a good hire? 

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Are you sure? I was told we did reach out to Alford and several others. He was asked to come in for an interview and he told IU if you want me I will come but not going to interview, my resume should speak for itself. IU said, ok never mind then.

Not sure if what I was told is true but I trust the source, that being someone who used to work in the athletic department at IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sounds like something Alford would say