Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

Stevie Boy Wonder Fired at UCLA

Every report I’ve seen by insiders from Indiana and national ones was there was no way Alford was getting the job. Maybe Glass wanted him by stated an IU guy double checks boxes but Buckner put a stop to it. Not once during the search did I see Alford as a serious option being reported by sources close to the program

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To you and Beachfront. IU never talked to Alford? Maybe, I know you covered this pretty thoroughly. In regards to Buckner and other coaches we did contact, who were they and such? Would love to hear what you know, we know Archie wasn’t the only coach that we talked to as Glass made that clear.

11 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Can someone with info DM me what happened with Billy Donovan and why we didn't get him? I'm happy we got Archie, I just want to know how these things played out behind doors. 

As interesting and enticing as Donovan was, (and I would have loved that hire), I don't believe that he was ever a serious candidate...smokescreen? wishful thinking by some? can't say... but there were just too many factors against it...

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

I need to go back and re-listen to that speech but I didn’t get Alford from that at all at the time. It was almost spelling out Donovan or Stevens pretty clearly to me and thus all the swirl that ensued about Donovan

I thought I remember him saying he was looking for someone who had coached in college and had Indiana ties -- then added if it were an alum, that would be optimal. That's why I thought he was pointing right at Alford. It's quite possible I don't remember it correctly, though. 

To you and Beachfront. IU never talked to Alford? Maybe, I know you covered this pretty thoroughly. In regards to Buckner and other coaches we did contact, who were they and such? Would love to hear what you know, we know Archie wasn’t the only coach that we talked to as Glass made that clear.

I know Alford said publicly he wasn’t contacted and I know Dakich on his radio show after the Archie hire said he talked to Alford and he said he was never contacted. DD then went on a rant on Buckner and IU not hiring a Indiana guy and proceeded to rip IU for the next 5 days until he got Archie to come on his show and then he liked IU again and then 3 days after that he was back to ripping IU again. As far as other coaches contacted from what I remember people close to the program report was they contacted Donavan and Stevens because you have to try and then Archie was at the top of small list. Mack was among the coaches but can’t think of the others I will have to look back. Never got serious with others because they got their guy in Archie.

Its funny to hear people who can't disconnect Alford from IU in their heads talk about the guy. Heard a few, DD being the most vocal, talk about how this is actually good for him and he wasn't really the issue.

Said it in another thread, can't wait for him to have success at a mid-major then these same people think he is still anything besides a bad-mediocre coach who recruits really well. 

40 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Can someone with info DM me what happened with Billy Donovan and why we didn't get him? I'm happy we got Archie, I just want to know how these things played out behind doors. 

No need to DM. Billy Donovan didn’t want the job. We reached out to him and were told that he was not interested. The rumors surrounding Billy Donovan were incredible and I heard them from people who Are not gullible. I even had one guy tell me he saw Billy Donovan with his own eyes at Bloomington Country Club.

it was later proven that Donovan was in OKC all day.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Every report I’ve seen by insiders from Indiana and national ones was there was no way Alford was getting the job. Maybe Glass wanted him by stating an IU guy double checks boxes but Buckner put a stop to it. Not once during the search did I see Alford as a serious option being reported by sources close to the program

Can you elaborate? I've never heard this. What did Buckner have to do with it? ... Not doubting you -- just curious.  

I need to go back and re-listen to that speech but I didn’t get Alford from that at all at the time. It was almost spelling out Donovan or Stevens pretty clearly to me and thus all the swirl that ensued about Donovan

I didn't either

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

He was never a serious candidate.

1)  I would bet anything I own he's happy to be divested of the Ball family.

2)  I see some real vitriol toward Steve here and I don't get it.  Dakich is known to frequently say no school eats its own like Indiana.  He may be right.

2)  I see some real vitriol toward Steve here and I don't get it.  Dakich is known to frequently say no school eats its own like Indiana.  He may be right.

I tend to agree. Everyone points to the Pierce situation as the deal breaker though.

Dakich, Alford, Knight, Crean, Sampson get most of the hate. I can see the reasons for it but I tend to think the Alford, Knight, Dakich stuff is over the top

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I personally take issue with how he handled himself in Iowa regarding Pierre Pierce. That being said, I don't really care that he got fired or what UCLA does moving forward. I do wish that Wilkes came to IU thought.