Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

Stevie Boy Wonder Fired at UCLA

18 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

The conference tourney is about as important as the regular season to the committee. The reason Indiana didn’t get the overall #1 in 13’.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes, and I didn't say it was of zero importance, just that it wasn't taken as much.  Not a surprise that a team doesn't get the overall #1 after a loss.  But the committee does have a history of locking teams into seeds despite the result of their conference championship when the title game ends close to the selection time

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He’s out of control tonight. More than normal.

I turned on a late-night West Coast game a few weeks ago and Walton was the analyst. After about 5 minutes, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I realize Walton has built his reputation on being off-beat and colorful, but that night, he was downright weird and obnoxious. There comes a point where he needs to stop with the hippie, weirdo shtick and analyze the game -- which is what he's supposed to be doing. Get a talk show if you've got so much to say outside basketball!  

I turned on a late-night West Coast game a few weeks ago and Walton was the analyst. After about 5 minutes, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I realize Walton has built his reputation on being off-beat and colorful, but that night, he was downright weird and obnoxious. There comes a point where he needs to stop with the hippie, weirdo shtick and analyze the game -- which is what he's supposed to be doing. Get a talk show if you've got so much to say outside basketball!  

Probably the most obnoxious, egocentric announcer ever. Makes me turn the channel every time.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Grew up down the road from boy wonder. Was tired of hearing about him even before his time at IU. Loved what he did for our team, but was never really a fan of “him”. I don’t see him ever being a blue chip coach.

Did not surprise me a bit with his ouster, nor did it break my heart.
.......my mom, well that’s a different story.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Grew up down the road from boy wonder. Was tired of hearing about him even before his time at IU. Loved what he did for our team, but was never really a fan of “him”. I don’t see him ever being a blue chip coach.

Did not surprise me a bit with his ouster, nor did it break my heart.
.......my mom, well that’s a different story.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
My aunt grew up in the same town. Never spoke highly of him. Always sermed like a bad fit at ucla.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

So Bill Walton stated tonight that he wants Barack Obama to be the coach at UCLA lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ol’ Bill has fried more than his share of brain cells over the years.

4 hours ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Heard there’s some pretty big money UCLA boosters that are already asking for Pitino

I'd say there is zero chance of UCLA hiring Pitino.  UCLA fired Jim Harrick just a season after he won s title for lieing on an expense report.  Pit in o's transgressions go waayyy beyond that.  Pitino furthered condemned himself by suing Louisville after being fired.  Schools stay sway from coaches who fo things liks that.

I'd say there is zero chance of UCLA hiring Pitino.  UCLA fired Jim Harrick just a season after he won s title for lieing on an expense report.  Pit in o's transgressions go waayyy beyond that.  Pitino furthered condemned himself by suing Louisville after being fired.  Schools stay sway from coaches who fo things liks that.

I’m not saying it’s true, I’m just relaying that I had heard that a big time lawyer and a “billionaire” that are associated with the booster club are wanting Pitino. With the way the way things have played out I would not say he’s out of the question. At some point programs just want to win and will take a few weeks of scrutiny. Let’s be honest, if they do hire Pitino once the season starts and they win some games all the negatives headlines will go away and it’ll turn in to if Pitino can take them back to glory.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That speaks well of the UCLA regents. If more school admin had some gonads the athletic departments wouldn't be the cesspools they are. UNC, I'm looking at you. 

As for the other names, I really don't see Bennet as a fit in Hollywood and why would Luke Walton leave the Lakers to take over in Westwood? 

6 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

That speaks well of the UCLA regents. If more school admin had some gonads the athletic departments wouldn't be the cesspools they are. UNC, I'm looking at you. 

As for the other names, I really don't see Bennet as a fit in Hollywood and why would Luke Walton leave the Lakers to take over in Westwood? 

Supposedly, part of the reason Bennett didn't want to come to Bloomington in 2008 was that he wanted no part of everything that goes with the job. He wanted to coach and recruit -- and that's pretty much it. If he wanted to avoid the glare and expectations of coaching at a program like IU, he certainly won't have any interest in UCLA -- especially with the market it's in. 

43 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Maybe different people are in charge now, but it does seem a little odd to me that they hired Alford, who covered up a rape by one of his players, but Pitino is too much. 

People would be even more in LA by Bennett than people are now. He obviously doesn’t want any sort of spotlight or pressure. UCLA needs a coach that fits LA. Fast. Mike D’Antoni fast. They don’t need to go the stupid route and hire an alum like Earl Watson who failed miserably and quickly in the NBA. Hoiberg is still the best fit. Playing style fits. High octane offense all day.

I hope they feel that way too.

Interesting: UCLA, trailing by nine with a minute left, forced OT and won at Oregon last night. Bruins are 3-0 under Murray Bartow. ... I read a couple websites that speculated the players were not terribly fond of Alford -- to put it kindly .. Wouldn't it be crazy if Bartow got them on track and got them to the NCAAs? ... Would they keep him (like we did with Mike Davis) or go after a bigger name? .