Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

Stevie Boy Wonder Fired at UCLA

I idolized Alford clear back to when he was at New Castle. Was first in line to get his autograph at Connersville as a kid. Didnt like him offering Recker but kinda rooted for him at NM. He is above average( over 500 wins) but not great. He will go somewhere without the spotlight and continue to be fairly successful.

I idolized Alford clear back to when he was at New Castle. Was first in line to get his autograph at Connersville as a kid. Didnt like him offering Recker but kinda rooted for him at NM. He is above average( over 500 wins) but not great. He will go somewhere without the spotlight and continue to be fairly successful.
I was a Alford fan growing up but what young die hard iu fan wasn't? I still respect what he did on the court but as a coach coaching other schools i never gave a crap about him. I did attend his basketball camp at Manchester but when he went to iowa i hated him. Only cause he was coaching a rival team though. I never wish ill will on any x hoosier especially ones who gave their all on the court and won national titles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Consider this:

Alford at UCLA

5 seasons:
4 NCAAs
3 Sweet Sixteens

1 missed tourney and a rough start to this season.

Compare this with Crean at Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

True. Just shows the patience and stupidity of our AD first with the extension and not doing it sooner.

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Out of curiosity what happened to waiting till the team exited the tourney. Since you are so informed

On 12/30/2018 at 6:41 PM,  Brass Cannonsaid: 

Pretty sure good coaches aren’t going to wait around when they can get started that much sooner elsewhere. 

Plus pretty sure they can’t actually hire a search firm or talk to any applicants till Alford is gone. 

Eddie Fogler. Google what he does then get educated on the process. Alford will be out long before April 30 as I’m sure he wants out as bad as UCLA does. He prob settles in the 2 mil range my guess. UCLA will announce their new coach as soon as his team exits the tournament.

Reread, obv I was referring to their new coach. Unless they pull a flier, Steve’s replacement will be in this tournament. 

2 minutes ago, schoosier said:
   On 12/30/2018 at 6:41 PM,  Brass Cannonsaid: 

Pretty sure good coaches aren’t going to wait around when they can get started that much sooner elsewhere. 

Plus pretty sure they can’t actually hire a search firm or talk to any applicants till Alford is gone. 

Eddie Fogler. Google what he does then get educated on the process. Alford will be out long before April 30 as I’m sure he wants out as bad as UCLA does. He prob settles in the 2 mil range my guess. UCLA will announce their new coach as soon as his team exits the tournament.

Reread, obv I was referring to their new coach. Unless they pull a flier, Steve’s replacement will be in this tournament. 

If you are so informed you should probably say what you mean. Otherwise people will think you are misinformed when you are wrong 

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

I played against him in high school and did not like him. He avg 39 before the 3 point shot; I held him to 44 his senior year. He was $ at IU so I will remember and thank him for what he did for our school. I think he had a decent record against Knight at Iowa but never got over the hurdle. I always want him to do well and thought he should have been hired before Davis or Sampson. His big chance came at UCLA and has had a record worthy of extensions at most schools. He will get another chance in a power 5 conference and I wish him the best. Banner 5 wouldn’t be there without his huge contributions to that team and Indiana University.

I thought I remember him saying he was looking for someone who had coached in college and had Indiana ties -- then added if it were an alum, that would be optimal. That's why I thought he was pointing right at Alford. It's quite possible I don't remember it correctly, though. 

The way I remembered it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Consider this:

Alford at UCLA

5 seasons:
4 NCAAs
3 Sweet Sixteens

1 missed tourney and a rough start to this season.

Compare this with Crean at Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Consider this. I don’t think Crean and Alford were that much different.

Creans last six years...

4 NCAA’s

3 Sweet 16’s

2 conference championships (SA =0 conference championships).

Missed NCAA twice (Alford on his way to missing his 2nd in 6 years)

I am using Crean’s last 6 years because Alford, with his first UCLA team, inherited 5 McDonalds All Americans and three first round NBA players. Crean had Kyle Tabor (I.e. their initial situations were not remotely close).

I’m glad we do not have either coach.

I don't care about Alford the player, I have no respect for Alford the man. Having said that, I've very much enjoyed his failure and ultimate firing at UCLA. The calls for us to hire him over Archie were hilarious. Much like Crean, he'll likely land at a smaller school where he can satisfy their fan base with nothing more than making it to the big dance. 

I mean we all know how he handled the Pierre Pierce situation and he didn't do himself any favors in how he handled that. Here is where Glass mentioned the check plus comment that he made at the time of when the job was open.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/18/14966490/steve-alfords-pierre-pierce-iowa-sexual-assault