Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

AZ Hoosier

Stevie Boy Wonder Fired at UCLA

After recent performances on the court you knew this had to happen.  Losing at home ... to Liberty ... when folks are already calling for his head on a platter.  It almost looks like the team quit on him.

I think he would excel at a school like VCU or Creighton where the fanbase won't be upset with 20-25 win, and early exit season.  He's just not shown the ability to get it done when he's in the bigtime.  Wonder if he has any regrets about leaving what he had and had built at New Mexico.

Edited by Indy

I would still love to get Fred Glass full of truth serum and find out exactly what went on after Crean was fired. Because his "check plus plus" speech seemed to be setting the stage for Alford's triumphant return. It's very possible I'm wrong -- I am quite often -- but I still think that was his initial plan, then after encountering a ton of backlash from fans, alumni, etc., who wanted no part of Alford, he switched gears. ... And although Alford later said he was "100 percent not going to Indiana," my guess is if offered the job, he would've taken it in a second. 

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would still love to get Fred Glass full of truth serum and find out exactly what went on after Crean was fired. Because his "check plus plus" speech seemed to be setting the stage for Alford's triumphant return. It's very possible I'm wrong -- I am quite often -- but I still think that was his initial plan, then after encountering a ton of backlash from fans, alumni, etc., who wanted no part of Alford, he switched gears. ... And although Alford later said he was "100 percent not going to Indiana," my guess is if offered the job, he would've taken it in a second. 

Absolutely agree. Were we actually in talks with Donovan, or was that just a cover? Did he even have due diligence and talk to Holtmann?

I assume UCLA will take a look at Chris Beard and Eric Musselman, but they seem pretty incompetent, so they will probably hire Jamie Dixon or Hoidberg. 

I need to go back and re-listen to that speech but I didn’t get Alford from that at all at the time. It was almost spelling out Donovan or Stevens pretty clearly to me and thus all the swirl that ensued about Donovan

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Borzello-

UCLA officially announces that head coach Steve Alford has been "relieved of his duties." Murry Bartow will serve as interim head coach for the rest of the season.

Athletic director Dan Guerrero, associate athletic directors Josh Rebholz and Chris Carlson, as well as Golden State Warriors GM Bob Myers, will run the search for Alford's replacement.

I need to go back and re-listen to that speech but I didn’t get Alford from that at all at the time. It was almost spelling out Donovan or Stevens pretty clearly to me and thus all the swirl that ensued about Donovan

This is what I thought too at the time.

Not sure why it is tough to people to understand - IU never considered Alford for the job. Glass made a call to Dane Fife our of respect for Dane and all other former players. Dane is the only former player that got a call. Alford’s teams play a very similar style to Crean’s. Did Glass reach out to some other people like Donovan to gauge interest? Yes he did. Alford was not one of those people.

be happy that we got Archie.

Not sure why it is tough to people to understand - IU never considered Alford for the job. Glass made a call to Dane Fife our of respect for Dane and all other former players. Dane is the only former player that got a call. Alford’s teams play a very similar style to Crean’s. Did Glass reach out to some other people like Donovan to gauge interest? Yes he did. Alford was not one of those people.
be happy that we got Archie.

Are you sure? I was told we did reach out to Alford and several others. He was asked to come in for an interview and he told IU if you want me I will come but not going to interview, my resume should speak for itself. IU said, ok never mind then.

Not sure if what I was told is true but I trust the source, that being someone who used to work in the athletic department at IU.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Yep. My take is that Alford could "100 percent" not take a job that wasn't offered... sour grapes, posturing, whatever. Glass heard the roar of the crowd and moved away from Alford... and Stevie was left trying to save face.

Yep. My take is that Alford could "100 percent" not take a job that wasn't offered... sour grapes, posturing, whatever. Glass heard the roar of the crowd and moved away from Alford... and Stevie was left trying to safe face.

The job was only offered to Archie but that was after talking to several coaches and that includes Alford. Alford refused to interview, thought he was above it

Are you sure? I was told we did reach out to Alford and several others. He was asked to come in for an interview and he told IU if you want me I will come but not going to interview, my resume should speak for itself. IU said, ok never mind then.

Not sure if what I was told is true but I trust the source, that being someone who used to work in the athletic department at IU.

Every report I’ve seen by insiders from Indiana and national ones was there was no way Alford was getting the job. Maybe Glass wanted him by stating an IU guy double checks boxes but Buckner put a stop to it. Not once during the search did I see Alford as a serious option being reported by sources close to the program

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Mike. The story you mention here is inaccurate. Alford was not considered in any capacity. Obviously lots of rumors swirl in these situations but any rumor that includes IU contacting Alford is false.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Every report I’ve seen by insiders from Indiana and national ones was there was no way Alford was getting the job. Maybe Glass wanted him by stated an IU guy double checks boxes but Buckner put a stop to it. Not once during the search did I see Alford as a serious option being reported by sources close to the program

Exactly