Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

16 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

He’s a bitter and jealous old man, and then magnifies that in order to get clicks and hits. Really not a fan of his ilk.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He could not sustain a Mac program to keep his job. I stated on another thread he had Bob Knight syndrome and another poster thru out libel. Suppressing opinions doesn’t work on BTown. I don’t think he’s an IU ambassador and I don’t listen to him. But to each his own.

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

“His personality off air couldn’t be more different than his personality on air” reads to me that he is a huge phony and he must be if he is indeed still a Hoosier fan.

I cannot stand it when I hear from a very select few that he is real and just shoots it straight, it sounds Trumpy to me which means he just spews whatever crosses his mind at the time regardless of fact, knowing it will irk/rile up the public.

He acts like a child picking fights with just about everyone including children and is so confidently wrong so often it is easier to pick out his truths than his wrongs. He is an embarrassment to IU and we are better off distancing ourselves from him and his BS.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

In terms of him 'different off air than on air', I would disagree with that.  I live in the area he grew up in.  He implies on air that he's really loved up here when the opposite is the case.   The take of him being an entitled arrogant tool isn't just a take of people who hear him on air.

This is the bottom line:  good analysts know that they aren't the show.  He does a very poor job of adapting his radio show personality to one of a television game commentary.

In general, Dak is an a&!$-hat much more than asset! He dangles good info and supportive attitude to IU to give appearance, then makes smash mouth idiot statements and under handed attacks. Creating noise/pure speculation on players getting paid/shady deals at IU, based on nothing but pure speculation is one example.  You can do that at any school w big recruits. He uses IU to pick at often solely to drive ratings due to his market, and can do better than play that game. Comes off as just a gas-bag too often.

He was solid in the Alford camp - and my speculation was one of the big drivers in trying to make it happen. Because it didn’t— thank goodness in my opinion and many others — he seems to have some subtle resentment of Archie and goes back and forth with the program.

He is capable of providing great insight and analysis...but too often acts as a tool to drive his personal vendettas and to try to drive ratings.  The older he gets, the less attractive  this will become. 

3 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

In general, Dak is an a&!$-hat much more than asset! He dangles good info and supportive attitude to IU to give appearance, then makes smash mouth idiot statements and under handed attacks. Creating noise/pure speculation on players getting paid/shady deals at IU, based on nothing but pure speculation is one example.  You can do that at any school w big recruits. He uses IU to pick at often solely to drive ratings due to his market, and can do better than play that game. Comes off as just a gas-bag too often.

He was solid in the Alford camp - and my speculation was one of the big drivers in trying to make it happen. Because it didn’t— thank goodness in my opinion and many others — he seems to have some subtle resentment of Archie and goes back and forth with the program.

He is capable of providing great insight and analysis...but too often acts as a tool to drive his personal vendettas and to try to drive ratings.  The older he gets, the less effective this will become. 

The longer IU is from Knight's era, the less people will listen to him.  

2 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

He is capable of providing great insight and analysis...but too often acts as a tool to drive his personal vendettas and to try to drive ratings.  The older he gets, the less attractive  this will become. 

I find it hard to believe that any sentient IU fan is NOT thrilled Alford isn't the coach at Indiana. No matter what you think about him personally (I love him as a player) his coaching results have nothing, absolutely NOTHING to recommend them. I want him to succeed (ok, maybe not at UCLA) but have little expectation of that happening. Above average recruiter and below average coach. 

As for Dakich, the fact he whined about Crean's firing and then about Alford getting passed over tells me about all I need to know about his opinion. He knows X's & O's, but severely lacks common sense. If he did all that for notoriety then it's even worse. Maybe he's an entertainer, but I'm not entertained. Lots of other commentators and analysts do just fine without savaging their alma maters to gain cred. 

As far as a commentator, Dakich is one of the best. Very knowledgeable about the Big Ten, college hoops, IHSAA basketball, and IU in general. But folks, he is a lot like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith in the fact that he is an entertainer, more so in the Indianapolis area. He isn't going to say the usual boring things. He wants to start controversy. I usually like his takes but his hatred for Archie makes me scratch my head. He had a take on twitter about Alford that I didn't agree with. 

2 hours ago, biteoftheapple said:

Should career stats like this make you an arrogant sob?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dan-dakich-2.html

I was shocked the first time I saw his college stats. The way he talks I thought he was at least a solid starter throughout his career. 

This is all kind of a shame. Is anyone on here who hates Dakich over 35 years old?

That “kid” he fought was a college graduate and brought it on himself. They both have egos, let them fight it out.

What about all the good stuff he does for people regarding chewing tobacco and weight loss? He has saved many lives and that isn’t an exaggeration.

Radio hosts need some hot takes. It’s the business.

He’s a tough, no nonsense type of guy. He’s funny and talented. He’s not Bob Knight. And heck that Bob Knight thing could be a whole another conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes I am over 35 and just because you do nice things for people doesn’t give you the right to be a complete a-hole.

Brad Stevens is a straw man argument.   
When Knight was fired, Mike Davis was given the job, and then extended for no apparent reason except the one we can't talk about.   The program has only recently recovered.  He couldn't wait to recruit Alabama.  He couldn't wait to put names on jerseys and get rid of candy stripes.  Had no clue where he was.   When Mike Davis was at Indiana, take a look at the list of players in Indiana who weren't even recruited by Davis, let alone who didn't GO to Indiana.  That list will make you ill.
If you don't believe Indiana is a unique and special place, this discussion isn't even worth having.  Davis was a disaster.  Sampson equally so, as were the reasons he was hired (which is the same reason Davis was extended) and by whom.  He had no love for Indiana or this program; and it very obviously suffered badly because of those two hires.  Using your words, tell me you can see that.
Then we hire Crean.  A guy who'd had exactly one memorable season because of a hall of famer and two other NBA guys on the same roster.  Guy recruited with a shotgun and offered 40-50 players every season (by contrast, Archie offers 10-12).   Had no idea how to build a team and was said to be a "great recruiter" because he got 4-5 kids to say yes every year whether they fit or not. His recruiting budget was 10x what Wisconsin's was, and the players he recruited - by and large - were just players.  Very few were recruited with purpose and fewer came to Indiana for the reason he said HE did.  "Because it's Indiana."   Again, if you don't think that has value, this is a pointless discussion.
So....tell me why Dane Fife doesn't get a shot?   Know who Brad Stevens said was the only coach to out-work him on the recruiting trail?  Yep.  Dane Fife.  Why doesn't Keith Smart get a look back when we had an opening and he was in the business?  Guy can coach the Golden State Warriors but can't get a sniff at Indiana?    Talk to me about Randy Wittman.   An all time great at IU and an NBA head coach for 10 seasons.  Never interviewed for an Indiana opening; and we hire the dipsh*ts above?  Really?   All 3 of those guys would have been just fine and all 3 have been more than deserving of a shot.  Limiting the list to just Coach K isn't reasonable.
THAT's what Dakich doesn't like and I completely agree with him.    He also says because of the points above, Indiana has become largely just like everyone else; and I agree with THAT, also.  Indiana used to be special.  Unique.  When you keep it in the family, or at least have family members involved in the discussion, the program can remain special or what it once was.  For 17 years, Indiana was mostly down and had lost most of its national luster.  You can obviously have your own reasons why you believe that's true, and I have my reasons why I believe it.  Mine just happen to align with Dakich's reasons.

Ok? We would never hire a Knight guy after he was fired. If you don’t understand why this isn’t a conversation worth having.

Friend of the family, so yeh I like him.  I like his radio show when I listen to it, and enjoy his commentary during games.  Was not aware of his dislike for Archie.  If that is correct it does not taint my opinion of either tbh.  IMO you can disagree with a person, even disagree about really big matters, sometimes even nearly all of the time and still like each other.  I often wish more people felt the same way.

If you watched him play for Andrean High School and carry that tiny high school basketball team to State in '79-80  you would like him. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I was shocked the first time I saw his college stats. The way he talks I thought he was at least a solid starter throughout his career. 

He shut-down Jordan and....that is about it. But I don't care so much about that, don't even mind some fair-minded criticism of IU. It's the nit-picking and condescending style that wears me out.  

6 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Ok? We would never hire a Knight guy after he was fired. If you don’t understand why this isn’t a conversation worth having.

Don't understand what point you're making.  The University administration made a calculated a decision when Knight was fired to avoid big names and hiring a coach who would be, in their eyes, bigger than the University as they felt Knight had become.  Down the road, another decision was made to avoid Knight's guys.  That happened.   Dakich doesn't like it.  Many IU fans don't like that it happened that way.   The program was a mess for almost 20 years in some part because of it and one could argue ridiculous progressive approaches to things.  What conversation are you after?

He shut-down Jordan and....that is about it. But I don't care so much about that, don't even mind some fair-minded criticism of IU. It's the nit-picking and condescending style that wears me out.  

Love that story too. Jordan went 6/14 and scored 13 points in 26 minutes. Not exactly shut down

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Ever sen Knight's college stats?   Krysiewski's?  Dean Smith's?  Gerald Ford's?  George Bush's?

He was there.  On the team, in the locker room, at practice.  A good high school player who knows more about the IU program than anyone here by 10x.  You're applying meaning to what he says...and in fact, he'll tell you he wasn't a great player at IU.  I must hear a different show.   I also don't know why I keep defending him except I see so much being presented as fact that just isn't.

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Love that story too. Jordan went 6/14 and scored 13 points in 26 minutes. Not exactly shut down

He will also tell you he didn't do this alone.  He talks all the time about the team defense that day.  His assignment was "#23."    Jordan was held 6 points below his average.  Pretty good against that guy on that team in that spot in his final college game,  Nit pick away, but Indiana significantly limited Jordan that night.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Ever sen Knight's college stats?   Krysiewski's?  Dean Smith's?  Gerald Ford's?  George Bush's?

He was there.  On the team, in the locker room, at practice.  A good high school player who knows more about the IU program than anyone here by 10x.  You're applying meaning to what he says...and in fact, he'll tell you he wasn't a great player at IU.  I must hear a different show.   I also don't know why I keep defending him except I see so much being presented as fact that just isn't.

You named three of the greatest college basketball coaches ever and two presidents. What is Dakich's claim to fame? If you like him then that's cool, but the guy gives people plenty of reasons to dislike him. 

6 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Friend of the family, so yeh I like him.  I like his radio show when I listen to it, and enjoy his commentary during games.  Was not aware of his dislike for Archie.  If that is correct it does not taint my opinion of either tbh.  IMO you can disagree with a person, even disagree about really big matters, sometimes even nearly all of the time and still like each other.  I often wish more people felt the same way.

If you watched him play for Andrean High School and carry that tiny high school basketball team to State in '79-80  you would like him. 

Andrean isn't exactly your typical 'tiny high school basketball team'.....we aren't talking Milan here.  This is a private catholic high school that is known in the region to have recruited players from other local high schools for a long time.  They've had tons of college talent go through.....Dakich, Brandon Brantley, Shane Powers, Carson Cunningham, Luke Harangody just to name a few.  

9 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

As far as a commentator, Dakich is one of the best. Very knowledgeable about the Big Ten, college hoops, IHSAA basketball, and IU in general. But folks, he is a lot like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith in the fact that he is an entertainer, more so in the Indianapolis area. He isn't going to say the usual boring things. He wants to start controversy. I usually like his takes but his hatred for Archie makes me scratch my head. He had a take on twitter about Alford that I didn't agree with. 

This is a guy that said for a full year that if he had the first pick in the NBA draft he would draft Aaron Kraft.  That's not just saying the 'usual boring things' that is idiotic at best and screaming for attention at its worst.  And his twitter to get into feuds with any Joe off the street that disagrees with him is just juvenile.