Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

I like Dakich. Does he say some really stupid things sometimes? Absolutely, but everyone does.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This.  Look, he is a radio host.  He is paid and expected to move the needle.  You don't do that by being stale and just like everyone else.  He's abrasive on purpose.  His personality off air couldn't be more different than his personality on air.  He's ADD for sure.  Constantly moving and thinking; which is good for radio.   Better for commentary.   All of you who hate him?  You still listen to him.    Why?  because he gives it to you straight.  Whether you agree with him or like him or not is immaterial to him; and his show is highly rated....because you listen. Why do you think WFNI wanted him?

As it relates to his doing games, he knows basketball.  Better than any of us here and better than 99.8% of the country.  His style?  Take it or leave it.  But I learn from him all the time.  Nobody has to like him; and everyone's wrong sometimes.   Take the Brohm thing for example.  When he gave his take?   I'm damned sure his source believed 100% Brohm was gone and Brohm himself said he changed his mind a few times.   So at the time?  Report was accurate.  Like many things, the story changed.  I do love all of the theories about how he has it in for IU, hates IU, etc.  Nothing further from the truth.  

This.  Look, he is a radio host.  He is paid and expected to move the needle.  You don't do that by being stale and just like everyone else.  He's abrasive on purpose.  His personality off air couldn't be more different than his personality on air.  He's ADD for sure.  Constantly moving and thinking; which is good for radio.   Better for commentary.   All of you who hate him?  You still listen to him.    Why?  because he gives it to you straight.  Whether you agree with him or like him or not is immaterial to him; and his show is highly rated....because you listen. Why do you think WFNI wanted him?
As it relates to his doing games, he knows basketball.  Better than any of us here and better than 99.8% of the country.  His style?  Take it or leave it.  But I learn from him all the time.  Nobody has to like him; and everyone's wrong sometimes.   Take the Brohm thing for example.  When he gave his take?   I'm damned sure his source believed 100% Brohm was gone and Brohm himself said he changed his mind a few times.   So at the time?  Report was accurate.  Like many things, the story changed.  I do love all of the theories about how he has it in for IU, hates IU, etc.  Nothing further from the truth.  

“His personality off air couldn’t be more different than his personality on air” reads to me that he is a huge phony and he must be if he is indeed still a Hoosier fan.

I cannot stand it when I hear from a very select few that he is real and just shoots it straight, it sounds Trumpy to me which means he just spews whatever crosses his mind at the time regardless of fact, knowing it will irk/rile up the public.

He acts like a child picking fights with just about everyone including children and is so confidently wrong so often it is easier to pick out his truths than his wrongs. He is an embarrassment to IU and we are better off distancing ourselves from him and his BS.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

29 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

“His personality off air couldn’t be more different than his personality on air” reads to me that he is a huge phony and he must be if he is indeed still a Hoosier fan.

I cannot stand it when I hear from a very select few that he is real and just shoots it straight, it sounds Trumpy to me which means he just spews whatever crosses his mind at the time regardless of fact, knowing it will irk/rile up the public.

He acts like a child picking fights with just about everyone including children and is so confidently wrong so often it is easier to pick out his truths than his wrongs. He is an embarrassment to IU and we are better off distancing ourselves from him and his BS.

That's your opinion.  Personally?  I think he's an asset and an ambassador.  That's my opinion.  He was who he was long before anyone knew Donald Trump was a politician, so we can dismiss that political context (Not everyone sees things as you do.  So what if it sounds "Trumpy?   Why post your political views here?).   He tells it like it is from his perspective; and I promise neither he nor his bosses care if you like that style.  If I'm one of that "select few," good for me, and I'll wear that badge.  

Serious question.  Do you understand how radio works...I mean the business side?  Do you think Jim Rome is Jim Rome off the air?  Rush Limbaugh?  Howard Stern?  Skip Bayless?  Colin Cowherd?  Are all radio hosts "phony?"   Sorry, Mike..that simply shows a bias on your part; not that Dakich is a phony.   

His show..and ALL shows (they are called "shows" for a reason) are entertainment; and as I said before...his show is highly rated and people listen.   They don't have to like.  Dakich is to radio as columnists are to newspaper.  He's not a reporter.  His job is to entertain, talk from experience, and give his listeners something different than they get elsewhere.  And he does just that.  So many say they hate Joe Buck, or others.  But they don't turn it off.  Same here.

And if you're embarrassed to have him associated with IU and want to be distant from him, how did you feel about Mike Davis?  Rick Greenspan?  Adam Herbert?  Kelvin Sampson?   Gerry DiNardo?  Michael McNeely?  How do you feel about Mark Cuban, who has said more than his fair share of stupid stuff?  

What has he been wrong about specifically?  I'll give you the Alford take; but I also promise he had a source he trusted.  The Brohm thing was described above, and I believe based on what I know, that WAS a done deal at one time until Brohm found out what a mess Louisville really is right now.  He's been right a lot.  Way more than you give him credit for.   He's not a friend of mine, but I do know for sure he's a HUGE Indiana fan, and while he may go overboard to avoid showing his bias; he's not at all someone from whom we should distance ourselves.    In my opinion.

That's your opinion.  Personally?  I think he's an asset and an ambassador.  That's my opinion.  He was who he was long before anyone knew Donald Trump was a politician, so we can dismiss that political context (Not everyone sees things as you do.  So what if it sounds "Trumpy?   Why post your political views here?).   He tells it like it is from his perspective; and I promise neither he nor his bosses care if you like that style.  If I'm one of that "select few," good for me, and I'll wear that badge.  
Serious question.  Do you understand how radio works...I mean the business side?  Do you think Jim Rome is Jim Rome off the air?  Rush Limbaugh?  Howard Stern?  Skip Bayless?  Colin Cowherd?  Are all radio hosts "phony?"   Sorry, Mike..that simply shows a bias on your part; not that Dakich is a phony.   
His show..and ALL shows (they are called "shows" for a reason) are entertainment; and as I said before...his show is highly rated and people listen.   They don't have to like.  Dakich is to radio as columnists are to newspaper.  He's not a reporter.  His job is to entertain, talk from experience, and give his listeners something different than they get elsewhere.  And he does just that.  So many say they hate Joe Buck, or others.  But they don't turn it off.  Same here.
And if you're embarrassed to have him associated with IU and want to be distant from him, how did you feel about Mike Davis?  Rick Greenspan?  Adam Herbert?  Kelvin Sampson?   Gerry DiNardo?  Michael McNeely?  How do you feel about Mark Cuban, who has said more than his fair share of stupid stuff?  
What has he been wrong about specifically?  I'll give you the Alford take; but I also promise he had a source he trusted.  The Brohm thing was described above, and I believe based on what I know, that WAS a done deal at one time until Brohm found out what a mess Louisville really is right now.  He's been right a lot.  Way more than you give him credit for.   He's not a friend of mine, but I do know for sure he's a HUGE Indiana fan, and while he may go overboard to avoid showing his bias; he's not at all someone from whom we should distance ourselves.    In my opinion.

Hasn’t he distanced himself from IU more so after Crean was fired? Dakich wanted Crean gone more than anyone until Crean said some nice things about Dakich’s kid. Then Dakich became loyal to Crean. Has acted pissed at IU since Crean was fired and Alford wasn’t hired. It isn’t the fans that distanced themselves from Dakich I feel.

Old Friend, the problem with Dakich is that he’s started to eat his very own BS he serves everyone.

I enjoy straight shooters, but often that is a term that is used to describe individuals with huge egos and believe they know better than everyone around them. Case and point, he seems to believe that he knows best how to handle the basketball team and that every move made by the university is wrong. It takes a real arrogant individual to not recognize that there never is one correct answer in life, and the best laid plans can quickly fall to pieces.

Regarding Dakich’s integrity - he fights people of all ages on Twitter, leaked details about Hutch despite family requests, rabidly supports Steve Alford out of pure blind loyalty despite his very public mistakes and recruiting at UCLA, and is incapable of admitting when he is wrong. Don’t know him in his private life, but there are enough public actions available to paint a solid understanding of him.

Contrary to your belief, I don’t like him so I don’t listen to the blowhard. Unfortunately, he pumps out so much garbage the Internet is polluted with his “truths” and hot takes. He is, in my opinion, representative of a major problem in modern day media and society - a man who can do no wrong and say no lies.

4 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Hasn’t he distanced himself from IU more so after Crean was fired? Dakich wanted Crean gone more than anyone until Crean said some nice things about Dakich’s kid. Then Dakich became loyal to Crean. Has acted pissed at IU since Crean was fired and Alford wasn’t hired. It isn’t the fans that distanced themselves from Dakich I feel.

I'm not sure I agree with this.   He is still complimentary of Crean much of the time.  I listen at least 3x/week and I hear that consistently.  I know he goes back to both football and basketball games and has sent at least one of his kids to school there.   He also talks frequently about the places in Bloomington and how great they are.  He has distanced himself from Bob Knight and has every reason to do that, but from IU?  No.  I don't agree with that.  He believes as I do that Indiana should have done a better job keeping things in house, but that's pretty common and I wouldn't single him out for it.

Complete lack of respect for other people's opinion. That's all you need to know about a man. Don't believe he is much of an asset or ambassador. Thank goodness he has no influence on any of these kids deciding where they go to school. Last thing, he has chastised anyone who criticized Meyer or Alford. Definitely not someone I want representing my University!

Old Friend, the problem with Dakich is that he’s started to eat his very own BS he serves everyone.

I enjoy straight shooters, but often that is a term that is used to describe individuals with huge egos and believe they know better than everyone around them. Case and point, he seems to believe that he knows best how to handle the basketball team and that every move made by the university is wrong. It takes a real arrogant individual to not recognize that there never is one correct answer in life, and the best laid plans can quickly fall to pieces.

Regarding Dakich’s integrity - he fights people of all ages on Twitter, leaked details about Hutch despite family requests, rabidly supports Steve Alford out of pure blind loyalty despite his very public mistakes and recruiting at UCLA, and is incapable of admitting when he is wrong. Don’t know him in his private life, but there are enough public actions available to paint a solid understanding of him.

Contrary to your belief, I don’t like him so I don’t listen to the blowhard. Unfortunately, he pumps out so much garbage the Internet is polluted with his “truths” and hot takes. He is, in my opinion, representative of a major problem in modern day media and society - a man who can do no wrong and say no lies.

So he fights people of all ages. Blind loyalty. Huge ego. Knows everything. So you are saying he is RMK without the coaching success?

So he fights people of all ages. Blind loyalty. Huge ego. Knows everything. So you are saying he is RMK without the coaching success?

Boom roasted

I'm not sure I agree with this.   He is still complimentary of Crean much of the time.  I listen at least 3x/week and I hear that consistently.  I know he goes back to both football and basketball games and has sent at least one of his kids to school there.   He also talks frequently about the places in Bloomington and how great they are.  He has distanced himself from Bob Knight and has every reason to do that, but from IU?  No.  I don't agree with that.  He believes as I do that Indiana should have done a better job keeping things in house, but that's pretty common and I wouldn't single him out for it.

Am I understanding correctly that you feel we should have had a Knight guy throughout the years coaching at IU? Who? Keeping things in house has never been an option for a couple of reasons. The division within not only the athletic department but the university from the firing of RMK made that not even close to an option. Beyond that there isn’t anyone from RMK tree that has shown they deserve to be head basketball coach at IU beyond Coach K and he isn’t leaving Duke for IU. RMK made it so nobody off of his tree would ever be head coach at IU on the way out and since. Now if Brad Stevens was available and he was from the tree sure you take him. But the guy would have to be head and shoulders above and there has never been that to be worth that drama. Tell me you can see that.

This is all kind of a shame. Is anyone on here who hates Dakich over 35 years old?

That “kid” he fought was a college graduate and brought it on himself. They both have egos, let them fight it out.

What about all the good stuff he does for people regarding chewing tobacco and weight loss? He has saved many lives and that isn’t an exaggeration.

Radio hosts need some hot takes. It’s the business.

He’s a tough, no nonsense type of guy. He’s funny and talented. He’s not Bob Knight. And heck that Bob Knight thing could be a whole another conversation.

Media LOOK to hire polarizing personalities for on air ratings. It’s their jobs. He gets clicks whether we like it or not. Personally, I don’t listen to his radio show and I sometimes groan when I see he’s calling a game that I’m watching but usually his color commentary is peppered with insightful basketball comments and game-musings that I’m glad I hear. Especially for a fan whose never played nor coached the sport.

52 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Am I understanding correctly that you feel we should have had a Knight guy throughout the years coaching at IU? Who? Keeping things in house has never been an option for a couple of reasons. The division within not only the athletic department but the university from the firing of RMK made that not even close to an option. Beyond that there isn’t anyone from RMK tree that has shown they deserve to be head basketball coach at IU beyond Coach K and he isn’t leaving Duke for IU. RMK made it so nobody off of his tree would ever be head coach at IU on the way out and since. Now if Brad Stevens was available and he was from the tree sure you take him. But the guy would have to be head and shoulders above and there has never been that to be worth that drama. Tell me you can see that.

Brad Stevens is a straw man argument.   

When Knight was fired, Mike Davis was given the job, and then extended for no apparent reason except the one we can't talk about.   The program has only recently recovered.  He couldn't wait to recruit Alabama.  He couldn't wait to put names on jerseys and get rid of candy stripes.  Had no clue where he was.   When Mike Davis was at Indiana, take a look at the list of players in Indiana who weren't even recruited by Davis, let alone who didn't GO to Indiana.  That list will make you ill.

If you don't believe Indiana is a unique and special place, this discussion isn't even worth having.  Davis was a disaster.  Sampson equally so, as were the reasons he was hired (which is the same reason Davis was extended) and by whom.  He had no love for Indiana or this program; and it very obviously suffered badly because of those two hires.  Using your words, tell me you can see that.

Then we hire Crean.  A guy who'd had exactly one memorable season because of a hall of famer and two other NBA guys on the same roster.  Guy recruited with a shotgun and offered 40-50 players every season (by contrast, Archie offers 10-12).   Had no idea how to build a team and was said to be a "great recruiter" because he got 4-5 kids to say yes every year whether they fit or not. His recruiting budget was 10x what Wisconsin's was, and the players he recruited - by and large - were just players.  Very few were recruited with purpose and fewer came to Indiana for the reason he said HE did.  "Because it's Indiana."   Again, if you don't think that has value, this is a pointless discussion.

So....tell me why Dane Fife doesn't get a shot?   Know who Brad Stevens said was the only coach to out-work him on the recruiting trail?  Yep.  Dane Fife.  Why doesn't Keith Smart get a look back when we had an opening and he was in the business?  Guy can coach the Golden State Warriors but can't get a sniff at Indiana?    Talk to me about Randy Wittman.   An all time great at IU and an NBA head coach for 10 seasons.  Never interviewed for an Indiana opening; and we hire the dipsh*ts above?  Really?   All 3 of those guys would have been just fine and all 3 have been more than deserving of a shot.  Limiting the list to just Coach K isn't reasonable.

THAT's what Dakich doesn't like and I completely agree with him.    He also says because of the points above, Indiana has become largely just like everyone else; and I agree with THAT, also.  Indiana used to be special.  Unique.  When you keep it in the family, or at least have family members involved in the discussion, the program can remain special or what it once was.  For 17 years, Indiana was mostly down and had lost most of its national luster.  You can obviously have your own reasons why you believe that's true, and I have my reasons why I believe it.  Mine just happen to align with Dakich's reasons.

I know he says things to get viewers, but there are plenty of guys who don't need to act like dbags to get people to listen to their shows. I definitely agree that he doesn't like Archie. You can sense the contempt in his voice when he talks about him. 

36 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I know he says things to get viewers, but there are plenty of guys who don't need to act like dbags to get people to listen to their shows. I definitely agree that he doesn't like Archie. You can sense the contempt in his voice when he talks about him. 

Talking to one of the assistants,  the feeling is mutual!

Edited by jk34