Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

7 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yes I am over 35 and just because you do nice things for people doesn’t give you the right to be a complete a-hole.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

+1.  Also over 35 and there isn't a single person in sports I would rather listen to than Dakich (with the exception of Skip Bayless).

I also don't know why I keep defending him except I see so much being presented as fact that just isn't.

I think this is everyone else’s beef with him, making a lot of outlandish statements as fact when they aren’t and admittedly saying things on purpose to get under people’s skin to amuse himself.

What specifically have people here said about him as fact that just isn’t?

44 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

+1.  Also over 35 and there isn't a single person in sports I would rather listen to than Dakich (with the exception of Skip Bayless).

+1 >35 here too. Sad thing is some of his insight is outstanding, it’s just the jerky stuff to get reaction and drive ratings often completely compromises the whole of it. I get he’s looking to get paid and needs ratings to do so, just doesn’t need to be such a dumb a&&$.  His passive/aggressive bs w the program shows his true colors. All for healthy criticism of the program or otherwise - his personal agenda and petty knocks make him idiotic.

Don't understand what point you're making.  The University administration made a calculated a decision when Knight was fired to avoid big names and hiring a coach who would be, in their eyes, bigger than the University as they felt Knight had become.  Down the road, another decision was made to avoid Knight's guys.  That happened.   Dakich doesn't like it.  Many IU fans don't like that it happened that way.   The program was a mess for almost 20 years in some part because of it and one could argue ridiculous progressive approaches to things.  What conversation are you after?

You had essentially told me in your previous statement twice if I didn’t agree with what you told me it wasn’t a conversation worth having. So I agree this isn’t a conversation worth having because I don’t agree with a lot of what you wrote and we have beaten this dead horse on two sites prior and I don’t want to make it a third. IU has not and will not at this point ever hire a Knight guy because of Knight. This isn’t about a big name coach and never has been. The players had a say and that is where the administration screwed up. Not allowing the Athletic Department to have standards up to what IU should be is the problem.

9 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Friend of the family, so yeh I like him.  I like his radio show when I listen to it, and enjoy his commentary during games.  Was not aware of his dislike for Archie.  If that is correct it does not taint my opinion of either tbh.  IMO you can disagree with a person, even disagree about really big matters, sometimes even nearly all of the time and still like each other.  I often wish more people felt the same way.

If you watched him play for Andrean High School and carry that tiny high school basketball team to State in '79-80  you would like him. 

Grew up in the Region. Still have family there. I'm not sure I would say that Dakich carried Andrean to the state semifinals. He had an awfully good sidekick named James Bullock, who ended up being a better player and had a better career at Purdue. 

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Grew up in the Region. Still have family there. I'm not sure I would say that Dakich carried Andrean to the state semifinals. He had an awfully good sidekick named James Bullock, who ended up being a better player and had a better career at Purdue. 

My recollection may be tainted a little by the family ties.  The way I remember it he carried that team during their run.  He was a very good high school basketball player.  Knight liked him a lot.  And IU fans liked him sort of the way IU fans liked Errick Suhr when he played, but I think IU fans liked Dakich a little more in his day.  It's not as if there is no good reason to like him.  I understand some people don't.  I am not signing off on everything he does.  I just like Dakich.

Personal Dakich story.... I can’t find the exact time but, when Coach Knight was thinking about leaving IU in the 80’s (??) I got an old game day program (that I believe I bought at my first ever IU game which Bobby threw the chair) and looked up the telephone number. Dialed it expecting to leave a recorded message saying “say it ain’t so, don’t let Coach Knight go”! But...... someone actually answered the phone.... it was Dakich who was on the bench with Coach Knight in those years. I recognized the voice and told him I couldn’t believe I was talking to the “greatest one on one” defense ever played. Dakich said they (all the assistants were in the room waiting on the call) thought my call was going to be from Coach Knight telling them wether he was going to stay or not. A few years later I saw Dan at the Mad Anthony golf tournament in Fort Wayne and told him about the call. He said “ that was you”? like he remembered it. I think he was just being kind. Anyway, being a die hard HOOSIER..... I loved the memory.....

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Just now, Whoozhers said:

Personal Dakich story.... I can’t find the exact time but, when Coach Knight was thinking about leaving IU in the 80’s (??) I got an old game day program (that I believe I bought at my first ever IU game which Bobby threw the chair) and looked up the telephone number. Dialed it expecting to leave a recorded message saying “say it ain’t so, don’t let Coach Knight go”! But...... someone actually answered the phone.... it was Dakich who was on the bench with Coach Knight in those years. I recognized the voice and told him I couldn’t believe I was talking to the “greatest one on one” defense ever played. Dakich said they (all the assistants were in the room waiting on the call) thought my call was going to be from Coach Knight telling them wether he was going to stay or not. A few years later I saw Dan at the Mad Anthony golf tournament in Fort Wayne and told him about the call. He said “ that was you”? like he remembered it. I think he was just being kind. Anyway, being a die hard HOOSIER..... I loved the memory..... emoji459.png

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Why was Knight thinking about leaving IU in the 80s?

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Why was Knight thinking about leaving IU in the 80s?

I know of one instance where he told Connie Chung in an interview if you knew you were gonna get raped you might as well lay back and enjoy it. President Ehrlich reprimanded him, Knight flirted with Arizona St, and the students marched on the Presidents home hanging him in effigy. I believe this was the summer after our last NC as I was still a student at IU. The president backed off, and a lot of trustees began plotting his demise culminating in hiring the worst leader IU has ever known. Soon to be followed by two more losers. How’s that in a nutshell?

3 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I know of one instance where he told Connie Chung in an interview if you knew you were gonna get raped you might as well lay back and enjoy it. President Ehrlich reprimanded him, Knight flirted with Arizona St, and the students marched on the Presidents home hanging him in effigy. I believe this was the summer after our last NC as I was still a student at IU. The president backed off, and a lot of trustees began plotting his demise culminating in hiring the worst leader IU has ever known. Soon to be followed by two more losers. How’s that in a nutshell?

New Mexico, not Arizona St. Other than that, sums it up well.

13 minutes ago, schoosier said:

That's a lot wilder than I expected, but knowing what Knight was like I should've expected something like that. Lol. 

This is a lot to digest. Woof.

I know many pine for the glory days... but that was painful to learn that happened in real life.

22 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

This is a lot to digest. Woof.

I know many pine for the glory days... but that was painful to learn that happened in real life.

This is not one of his finer moments, but part of his legacy. The library and his other philanthropic gestures are also part of it. On the court he was second to none.

This is not one of his finer moments, but part of his legacy. The library and his other philanthropic gestures are also part of it. On the court he was second to none.

Yes, people are complex and often contradict themselves with their words or actions. There’s far more visibility, and therefore accountability, in all areas of life these days. People like Knight would never have made it in the 2000’s.

Even with Knight’s quote above, students marching with an effigy of the president is arguably just as shocking. A very extreme response and implies even more extreme repercussions.

If dakich didn't have his radio show or espn job nobody on here would hate him. He is a past hoosier so why would any of us hate him. May disagree with what he says and that is fine

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree, if people did not know him they would not hate him!

We as fans don’t usually get a lease into who the players are as people and therefor Dakich would likely have been looked as as Charlie hustle kind of guy with an inflated story about shutting down Michael Jordan but he chose a profession that naturally allows a lens into who is and what he is about and that there are a ton of people, myself included that don’t like what they see and hear from him.

12 hours ago, mdn82 said:

You had essentially told me in your previous statement twice if I didn’t agree with what you told me it wasn’t a conversation worth having. So I agree this isn’t a conversation worth having because I don’t agree with a lot of what you wrote and we have beaten this dead horse on two sites prior and I don’t want to make it a third. IU has not and will not at this point ever hire a Knight guy because of Knight. This isn’t about a big name coach and never has been. The players had a say and that is where the administration screwed up. Not allowing the Athletic Department to have standards up to what IU should be is the problem. emoji111.png

What I thought I said was if you don't believe Indiana is a unique and special place (which means - to me - there's a certain way Indiana should do things), then the conversation isn't worth having because we'll see it from 2 completely different angles; and I don't feel the need to try to convince anyone how unique Indiana is if they don't already believe that.  If you (or anyone else) believe Indiana is just like everyone else, nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

4 hours ago, schoosier said:

That was just Knight being Knight for better or worse.  Politically incorrect and not far from a character named Archie Bunker.  Was it appropriate?  No. Offensive to some?  Yes.  But so what?  He was who he was, and the politically correct police were all over him because he had a foul and politically incorrect mouth. 

He stepped over the line sometimes; but it's real easy to sit in a glass house and judge/throw rocks at other people who are public figures.  Most people would rather sit and judge than be judged.  This comment made many people cringe; but by itself was just a very poor choice of words in the wrong forum.  What most people don't know was the amount of money Knight subsequently donated to women's shelters in Monroe County following that statement.

That was just Knight being Knight for better or worse.  Politically incorrect and not far from a character named Archie Bunker.  Was it appropriate?  No. Offensive to some?  Yes.  But so what?  He was who he was, and the politically correct police were all over him because he had a foul and politically incorrect mouth. 
He stepped over the line sometimes; but it's real easy to sit in a glass house and judge/throw rocks at other people who are public figures.  Most people would rather sit and judge than be judged.  This comment made many people cringe; but by itself was just a very poor choice of words in the wrong forum.  What most people don't know was the amount of money Knight subsequently donated to women's shelters in Monroe County following that statement.

I love Bob Knight and what he did for this university. He did more than 95% of all people could. But RMK the coach and RMK the person are different people imo. His loyalty blinds him. Jim Tressel is obviously something that comes to mind. The Connie Chung comments on rape were horrendous. Knight did everything with a purpose. He rarely shot from the hip. If John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Gene Keady, Lou Henson, etc. made those comments we hold that against them til the day they or we died amongst others. His record both good and bad stand on themselves. I am appreciative of what he did here but it was time to move on. The University screwed the pooch once the time was here.