Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BottomLine

What will it take to win #6

Look at what Virginia does with Guy, Jerome and Clark. No elite athleticism there. Tech with just a tenacious defense. Run your stuff  and play hard goes a long way.

Yes, not just playing hard but preparing during the course of the off season and for individual games. I’m not shocked in the least UVA is making a run after going down in the first round a season ago. I hope our returning players understand this and are grinding everyday. I liked seeing Green posting about his work on a Friday night. I hope others are getting in the gym and competing with/against him too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

No reason IU can't be a title contender in 2021. Rob Phinisee should be an All-Big Ten guard by then. Al Durham will be a senior and can give you double-digit scoring, hopefully 40% from 3. TJD is another All-Big Ten player. Wild card is Jerome Hunter. If he is 3/4 the player we think he can be that will be huge. Like the idea of Brunk and Race in the front court. Armann is a nice combo guard who can shoot it. Justin and Damezi? We will see about them. 

4 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Look at what Virginia does with Guy, Jerome and Clark. No elite athleticism there. Tech with just a tenacious defense. Run your stuff  and play hard goes a long way.

Absolutely. Fundamentals are still fundamental. Play hard and smart, solid defense, hit your free throws, limit turn-overs, etc. You know basketball 101 stuff will win a lot of games. Jumping high and running fast, etc is great, but can't overcome dumb or lazy play. 

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

There is a ton of conjecture and wishful thinking in this post. A lot has to happen for IU to even make the NCAA tournament in 2021.

Not really...look where Texas Tech and Auburn were a few years ago. You think Virginia thought they would cut down the nets after their embarrassment from last year? If you want to be negative about the program go root for someone else..it's ridiculous to say a lot has to happen for them to make the tournament in 2021. I am not happy at all about this season but they were close to getting in this year. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, HoosierFan1994 said:

No reason IU can't be a title contender in 2021. Rob Phinisee should be an All-Big Ten guard by then. Al Durham will be a senior and can give you double-digit scoring, hopefully 40% from 3. TJD is another All-Big Ten player. Wild card is Jerome Hunter. If he is 3/4 the player we think he can be that will be huge. Like the idea of Brunk and Race in the front court. Armann is a nice combo guard who can shoot it. Justin and Damezi? We will see about them. 

We should be able to make the tournament but to be a title contender takes a lot of more than that. It also can take a ton of luck to get  to a title game. Just look at Virginia. If that missed DD call is made they are not even playing in the title game.

We all thought the Zeller team was going to contend and they folded like white noodles in the sweet sixeteen.

It will take a coach with a winning formula (and there are many different ways to do it) who recruits/develops guys who can play to that formula. It takes consistent success that results in high tournament seeds year after year. After that, it's a dice roll in the tournament. You have better odds on the roll with a high seed but the only way to do it is getting as many rolls as possible with as good of odds as you can manage.

It will take a coach with a winning formula (and there are many different ways to do it) who recruits/develops guys who can play to that formula. It takes consistent success that results in high tournament seeds year after year. After that, it's a dice roll in the tournament. You have better odds on the roll with a high seed but the only way to do it is getting as many rolls as possible with as good of odds as you can manage.

Virginia never faced another 1 or 2 seed in the tourney. They’re just extremely lucky.

Edit: sarcasm font didn’t come through on the second part

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

We are missing from Lunardi's way too early 2019-2020 bracketology

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

What percentage does Lunardi bat on the way too early bracketology?

Edited by Aeggie

38 minutes ago, mark1981 said:

We are missing from Lunardi's way too early 2019-2020 bracketology

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

I'd say we're mostly missing because all we can really count is what we know we've lost and nothing about who fills the final couple or three scholarships.

And I'm sure the losing streak in the middle of this season is getting a whole lot more value given to it then the winning on both ends of it

Hate to break the trend in the conversation but wanted to point out that with the Virginia win it is now 15 of the last 18 winners have a combined Pom offensive and defensive number that is 20 or below.  To win #6 IU needs to trend toward those numbers.

Edited by BottomLine

6 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

Hate to break the trend in the conversation but wanted to point out that with the Virginia win it is now 15 of the last 18 winners have a combined Pom offensive and defensive number that is 20 or below.  To win #6 IU needs to trend toward those numbers.

We made much more progress defensively than offensively but we moved in the right direction on both sides of the ball this year. If it's true that pack line teams generally take a step in year three defensively that could be a top 20 unit.

6 hours ago, BottomLine said:

Excellent Handle/post right here folks.

9 hours ago, Aeggie said:

We made much more progress defensively than offensively but we moved in the right direction on both sides of the ball this year. If it's true that pack line teams generally take a step in year three defensively that could be a top 20 unit.

By both KenPom and Bart Torvik, we actually rated out worse on offense this season than we did the year prior. Our rank may have climbed ten spots on KenPom, but our actual Adjusted Offensive Efficiency dropped a few ticks.