Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

southernindianahoosier2

Thoughts on Crean after one and one-third years of Archie?

In the position that Sampson left this program, I'm really not sure what people really think we were going to bring in.  We brought in a coach who recruited pretty well but didn't coach very well.  Not sure we were going to entice someone who did both well at that point.
I never bought the crean was this big martyr for coming here. To use a crean phrase Its Indiana and he knew he had no pressure to win for three years. Plus he is no dummy he knew if he starting winning he would be paid top ten money. I think his welcome had wore out at marqutte. Who else was going to pay him what iu did?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

In the position that Sampson left this program, I'm really not sure what people really think we were going to bring in.  We brought in a coach who recruited pretty well but didn't coach very well.  Not sure we were going to entice someone who did both well at that point.

I think Crean was overrated as a recruiter. Part of recruiting is knowing how to build a roster and balance classes. Crean was terrible at that. He was able to find some diamonds in the rough, but he found plenty of Grant Gelon's and Jeremiah April's too. 

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Is this a serious comment?   At that time, Rck Pitinio wanted the job.  We could have had Brad Stevens if we'd have called him (and yeah, I have the benefit of hindsight making that comment).  Rick Barnes was interested.  We could have had any number of highly qualified and high profile coaches then.  Indiana is still and was then...Indiana.  

Is this a serious comment?   At that time, Rck Pitinio wanted the job.  We could have had Brad Stevens if we'd have called him (and yeah, I have the benefit of hindsight making that comment).  Rick Barnes was interested.  We could have had any number of highly qualified and high profile coaches then.  Indiana is still and was then...Indiana.  
Calipari was interested too. Although I'm glad we didn't make that call.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I also remember reading something -- though I can no longer find it -- that there was very serious mutual interest between us and Mark Few (this was after the resignation/firing of Sampson). As I recall, Few either agreed to take the job or was very close to doing so before changing his mind. He's obviously a great basketball mind and has had success against some of the top programs, but I can't help but wonder how he'd fare in a Power Five league -- where you're facing pretty good competition night in and night out. There's a big difference in facing Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Maryland every game as opposed to facing Pacific, Saint Mary's, San Diego, Santa Clara, Portland, etc. 

33 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Calipari was interested too. Although I'm glad we didn't make that call.

Good grief...he was, wasn't he?  I had forgotten that.  Can you imagine??

6 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Just to make sure. Are you saying you're glad we hired Crean instead of Calipari? 

I am.  Calipari does things his way and I have no interest in doing things that way.  Records be damned.  I like the culture Indiana has developed over time; and Kentucky has become nothing but laundry.  No thank you.  I like where we are now vs. where we would have been had we hired Calipari.  His way is his way and has been successful to a point.  I get all of that, but it's not the way I want to see this program run.

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I also remember reading something -- though I can no longer find it -- that there was very serious mutual interest between us and Mark Few (this was after the resignation/firing of Sampson). As I recall, Few either agreed to take the job or was very close to doing so before changing his mind. He's obviously a great basketball mind and has had success against some of the top programs, but I can't help but wonder how he'd fare in a Power Five league -- where you're facing pretty good competition night in and night out. There's a big difference in facing Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Maryland every game as opposed to facing Pacific, Saint Mary's, San Diego, Santa Clara, Portland, etc. 

Seriously, I wonder if Few saw that we had, (wasn't it like 9 athletic directors in 11 years or so at IU?) and said "No Thanks"...

Good grief...he was, wasn't he?  I had forgotten that.  Can you imagine??
I can't stand him so I'd rather not. For better or worse though he's got a big name. Just shows the Indiana name still resonates.

I am.  Calipari does things his way and I have no interest in doing things that way.  Records be damned.  I like the culture Indiana has developed over time; and Kentucky has become nothing but laundry.  No thank you.  I like where we are now vs. where we would have been had we hired Calipari.  His way is his way and has been successful to a point.  I get all of that, but it's not the way I want to see this program run.
Same here

4 hours ago, Old Friend said:

And if you've seen the "30 for 30" on Calipari, he essentially says he views his job as sending guys to the NBA. Not winning conference or NCAA titles or seeing that kids get an education, but getting them to the NBA. I guess a big part of me is still clinging to an ideal that might no longer be relevant, but I don't think that's what college basketball is all about. And I'd want no part of a coach like that. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

And if you've seen the "30 for 30" on Calipari, he essentially says he views his job as sending guys to the NBA. Not winning conference or NCAA titles or seeing that kids get an education, but getting them to the NBA. I guess a big part of me is still clinging to an ideal that might no longer be relevant, but I don't think that's what college basketball is all about. And I'd want no part of a coach like that. 

I don't even begrudge Calipari.  I don't dislike him.  I have had 2 friends in coaching (one very recently) work with him and have nothing but great things to say about the man.   I just don't want to put my energy behind a team and program that runs itself the way he runs his program.  Not my cup of tea and I agree in large part with you on the "why."

22 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

I still believe that was forced upon Cool Dad by benefactors of IU and IU athletics; I don't think he would have fired Crean whether it was lack of performance or the buyout price tag. 

Year before he had to fire him Glass was breaking down his offense. There is no doubt he was a fan and mainly why I’m not his.

I am happy to have a man who has played the game at this level coach our team also recruiting better than crean ever did. Stuff will work out. U can be a great coach and never play but crean didn't have it

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app