Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana vs Butler Game Thread 12/15

Wasn’t our best game, but any win is huge. Can’t say enough about Mr. Juwan Morgan, straight up stud! We really need to get contributors around him, but more than just Romeo on the offensive end.

Some of the guys, especially Smith, need to quit only going through the motions. Smith could have been wide open so many times diving to the basket, but didn’t look for it. I was thrilled to see that 3 go down for him, because he is never looking for him mid-range plus shot. Hope that will give him much needed confidence, because we really need him to understand and utilize his crazy potential.

Can’t believe Rob’s shot going down, but this kid always stays poised regardless the situation.

Only wish going forward is to stop starting the games so slow. While we keep winning, just hate falling behind every time. Come out of the gate guns blazing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It was so painful watching McBob and Fitzner pass up multiple wide open threes. There are far too many times where our roster forces a lineup with at least one, and often two, guys who are not a legitimate perimeter threat.

13 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Christmas came early for me today.  I had to play grandpa and spend the afternoon at the natatorium watching my grandson swim so I wasn't able to watch the game.  His parents and my oldest daughter are all Butler grads and I have the bragging rights until we meet again!!

I started reading this thread on page 4, and laughed as much as if I was watching The Blues Brothers -- it really helps to know the outcome before you start to read.  Suddenly, on page 24, their was a seismic shift in the content.   

Page 4 offered this classic line from IUsince1980:  "Don't get too cocky about Purdue losing today because IU will be following suit. This team will not beat a fundamentally sound Butler. Butler just has out number."   Do you like your crow rare, medium or well done?

Kudos to HoosierDYT who starting on page 6, was probably the most sane poster throughout the day.

Page 13 from Fleek in a despondent sounding post:   "I guess Rob is our unquestioned shot taker in those moments. It’s always him."    Fast forward to Wayne on page 24:  "Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!"

Page 17 this classic from Fleek:   "I’m glad I didn’t spend hundreds of dollars to be there like I was planning. It would be even more devastating."    Kicking yourself now Wayne?   lol

Page 20, colonel06 called it:  This is going to come down to: “For the Winnn!”   

And the best of all the seismic shift on page 24 from our resident Dukie - BlueDevil:  "OH MY GOD ROB"

All in all, it's probably just as well that I didn't watch the game because my supply of bp meds is running low.  Incredible game and a great day to be an IU fan.

Isn't this the best... I love to go back and re-read the entire Game Thread after the outcome is known... always some god nuggets in there as you have pulled.

40 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Celebration is cool but anybody notice Damezi not part of it (I know comments on Twitter noticed it, did anybody here?) 

Thoughts?

Great observation @Str8Hoosiers I am not sure what to make of it either...although he does stand up towards the end (adjacent to Vijay Blackmon).

I was however really excited to see (1) Noah Vonleh celebrating with the guys in the locker room and (2) Jerome Hunter enjoying the moment.

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Celebration is cool but anybody notice Damezi not part of it (I know comments on Twitter noticed it, did anybody here?) 

Thoughts?

He ran onto the court with the rest of his team. Maybe he wasn't yet in the locker room when that celebration occurred?  Talking to family or something?   I wouldn't read much into it.  

For sh*ts and giggles, I found a Butler message board. The arrogance is incredible. Can't believe they lost to IU, it hurts their chances of making the tournament, on and on.

You know how there are a couple ex-IU fans on GBI? Apparently Butler has them too:

The only "positive" I see is that the Butler program has risen (or should I say IU's has gone into free fall) to the point where as a Butler fan- you honestly think it is beneath Butler to ever lose to IU again. That's how I felt leaving BLF- how the FOCK does Butler ever come close to losing to IU their program is so much better than IU's it's not even close. This coming from an IU grad who made the switch 20+ years ago after seeing all of the nonsense that went on in Bloomington post Knight. It's almost got to the point where you genuinely are embarrassed when Butler loses to IU,

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/butler-bulldogs-7-2-vs-indiana-hoosiers-8-2-12-15.2404/page-27

I watched the game during a Christmas party so I didn’t get to really watch in detail like I normally do until late last night. Was it me or did Butler set a ton of moving/illegal screens?

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He ran onto the court with the rest of his team. Maybe he wasn't yet in the locker room when that celebration occurred?  Talking to family or something?   I wouldn't read much into it.  

No he is in the Locker Room... sitting back at his locker in the background not participating in the celebration... 

Still may not be anything but....

Old Fart

Yes I’m kicking myself a little.  I had the pain of watching #1 Indiana drop that OT game to Butler.  That was a rough drive home.  I was 100% confident we would win that game.  This one would have been the opposite and even being as frugal as I am I would have been worth my money. Haha.

As for Rob being our final shot taker at halves and end of games.  I still think it is an interesting debate but Rob is earning that right every single game.  I just find it interesting that we have one of the best scoring prospects in the country and he hasn’t been the guy to take those shots in any game, either by choice or luck.  It’s remains an interesting thing to watch.  

3 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I watched the game during a Christmas party so I didn’t get to really watch in detail like I normally do until late last night. Was it me or did Butler set a ton of moving/illegal screens?

It's the Butler Way. Set moving picks, push and shove, grab and hack every trip down the floor. Refs can't call them all, so might as well do it all the time.

They had some pretty sweet flops yesterday too. I can see some of them must have watched tapes of Matt Howard. That dude made a living out of drawing bogus charges by falling down clumsily for 4 years.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Old Fart

Yes I’m kicking myself a little.  I had the pain of watching #1 Indiana drop that OT game to Butler.  That was a rough drive home.  I was 100% confident we would win that game.  This one would have been the opposite and even being as frugal as I am I would have been worth my money. Haha.

As for Rob being our final shot taker at halves and end of games.  I still think it is an interesting debate but Rob is earning that right every single game.  I just find it interesting that we have one of the best scoring prospects in the country and he hasn’t been the guy to take those shots in any game, either by choice or luck.  It’s remains an interesting thing to watch.  

I see what you’re saying, but (and you might have seen it) Rob told Andy Katz that the final play was drawn up for Romeo to go iso and get the bucket. 

That obviously failed on multiple levels lol. 

I noticed it during the game. I was hoping for Stevie Scott to come out of the locker room, suited up, and run through a couple of those moving screens. “The Butler Way” is very similar to the Wiscy way of being tough until you’re not. They let them play for the most part yesterday and that favored Butler. IU found a way to win, again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Robert Horry played with some of the greatest to ever play, including one of the best finishers ever. Yet he will forever be known as Big Shot Bob. Sometimes things just work out in ways that defy logic.

Yes but in fairness so did Juwan and Deron but they weren't calling them either way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

I see what you’re saying, but (and you might have seen it) Rob told Andy Katz that the final play was drawn up for Romeo to go iso and get the bucket. 
That obviously failed on multiple levels lol. 

Exactly. I rewatched that play 20 times and the action. Romeo makes a soft curl around the screen. Not sure if he was supposed to curl towards the hoop or come to the ball. He kind of did neither.

I think with his length he is used to blocking out his man and extending his arm for the pass as he does this on many plays.

If he would use his speed on the cut and curl, and he gets that ball with momentum, no one stops him.

As others have said, maybe he’s a good decoy option for a while. Plus Rob is shooting it better from range anyway.

I also really enjoyed the drive/vision and drop off to Smith 2 plays early by Rob.

Rob made the 2 clutch offensive plays on final 4 possessions and defended Baldwin on either 4/4 possessions or 3/4 possessions. Baldwin did score on 2 of the 3 attempts but I actually thought Robs defense was strong and Baldwin just made great plays.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app