Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Indiana vs Butler Game Thread 12/15

15 hours ago, coonhounds said:

It's time iu got back to winning in Indy almost all the time. With last year's miracle now would be a good time to keep it going with archie

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I was present at the 2016 Big Ten Tournament game against Michigan. Blew a five point lead in one minute and lost at the buzzer. That was it for Crean with me. I couldn't even stay for the second game I was so mad. 

We sat next to the Butler student section the year they beat us on a last shot. I was ready to throw down with a couple of them.  

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I can believe it. It’s been that way 3 years for me. The year we came back against Norte Dame a group of students threw their drinks in the air to be smart ***** after our comeback cause the crowd was hot. Drenched a lot of us including my wife and two daughters who at the time were both younger than 8. That one was the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

One of my biggest worries for this game is that it's our first neutral site game. We already struggle to shoot from distance as a team, and sometimes these NBA arenas take some adjusting to. I know we scrimmaged Loyola in Banker's Life, but it's not the same as a game. I could see IU coming out early missing shots and getting down. 

Hopefully we attack the rim early, get some easy buckets and get our shooters to the foul line (yes, I know we struggle there too) to get some shots going through the nets for confidence. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One of my biggest worries for this game is that it's our first neutral site game. We already struggle to shoot from distance as a team, and sometimes these NBA arenas take some adjusting to. I know we scrimmaged Loyola in Banker's Life, but it's not the same as a game. I could see IU coming out early missing shots and getting down. 

Hopefully we attack the rim early, get some easy buckets and get our shooters to the foul line (yes, I know we struggle there too) to get some shots going through the nets for confidence. 

I am hoping that Butler struggles to adjust (they shoot way more 3s than we do) and they have to try to play our game which is attacking the rim.

I have connection to both schools (although root for IU when they play each other as it is my alma mater while Butler was just a brief employer) and interacted extensively with both fan bases so I feel qualified to say both sides deserve a LOT of criticism for the way they act towards each other sometimes.

Butler fans act like little brother and jealous of IU when they have nothing to be jealous of. They also act like they arrived on third base as mentioned on this thread. IU fans are at fault as well and still act like losing to Butler is like losing to a small time school when in reality Butler is a big time program now. I am not saying these things happen with all IU and Butler fans but this exists within a fairly large segment of both fan bases from what I have seen.

At this point IU losing to Butler is no different than Wisconsin losing to Marquette (which they just did) or Nebraska losing to Creighton (which has happened) and those fan bases have a healthy rivalry and understanding of both programs being big time.

For our fan bases both are adjusting to Butler being a big time team and the attitudes of each fan base reflects this. I hope as the transition continues IU and Butler can recognize they are both big time teams now and develop a healthy rivalry like IU and Purdue.  I can't wait till Butler fans jealousy and acting like beating IU is a huge upset goes away as well as IU's fans superiority feeling over the Dawgs.   

I hope for a great game Saturday and IU pulls out a win.

I have connection to both schools (although root for IU when they play each other as it is my alma mater while Butler was just a brief employer) and interacted extensively with both fan bases so I feel qualified to say both sides deserve a LOT of criticism for the way they act towards each other sometimes.
Butler fans act like little brother and jealous of IU when they have nothing to be jealous of. They also act like they arrived on third base as mentioned on this thread. IU fans are at fault as well and still act like losing to Butler is like losing to a small time school when in reality Butler is a big time program now. I am not saying these things happen with all IU and Butler fans but this exists within a fairly large segment of both fan bases from what I have seen.
At this point IU losing to Butler is no different than Wisconsin losing to Marquette (which they just did) or Nebraska losing to Creighton (which has happened) and those fan bases have a healthy rivalry and understanding of both programs being big time.
For our fan bases both are adjusting to Butler being a big time team and the attitudes of each fan base reflects this. I hope as the transition continues IU and Butler can recognize they are both big time teams now and develop a healthy rivalry like IU and Purdue.  I can't wait till Butler fans jealousy and acting like beating IU is a huge upset goes away as well as IU's fans superiority feeling over the Dawgs.   
I hope for a great game Saturday and IU pulls out a win.
Great post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I swear to god I did not write this but it basically says the same thing about the fan bases that I just posted above in terms of the relationship and how each one acts in a lot more words:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/platform/amp/2018/12/11/18135287/another-crossroads-classic-adds-to-the-complex-dynamic-between-indiana-and-butler

One-time Crean target Jordan Tucker will make his Butler debut against us this weekend.  Insiders back then put us firmly in the lead to land him, Tucker smartly waited.  From there Crean's team tanked and Crean got fired.  At one point Tucker even made a post like "See why I waited now?"  Then late he got an offer from Duke and I think he basically accepted on the spot.  The problem was that Tucker's previous 40ish ranking was plummeting, and there weren't that many coaches really wanting him anymore.  He lasted a few months at Duke before he transferred to Butler, of all places.  He was supposed to be a 6'7" wing, mostly a knockdown shooter.  But his senior season really didn't go well.  Also his social media posts were somewhat off-putting, like there may have been some attitude issues.  FWIW, he and Al Durham have some kind of relationship, I think they're both from GA, and even spend time together.  I have no idea if he's expected to contribute.  

As for Butler...  I cheer for Butler.  I love going to games at Hinkle.  I feel like this is pretty universal among Indiana fans, Purdue fans, ND fans, etc.  Fun program to cheer for, until you have to deal with the fans.  Like everyone is saying, they're needlessly hostile and defensive, as if we are rivals with them.  Pretty insufferable.  

4 hours ago, Stromboli said:

As for Butler...  I cheer for Butler.  I love going to games at Hinkle.  I feel like this is pretty universal among Indiana fans, Purdue fans, ND fans, etc.  Fun program to cheer for, until you have to deal with the fans.  Like everyone is saying, they're needlessly hostile and defensive, as if we are rivals with them.  Pretty insufferable.  

Respectfully disagree with the first half exclusively because of the second half. You said it best, a truly insufferable group of people. 

(I have been wanting to go to Hinkle for a game for a while now though)