Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

IU vs Uof6 Game Thread

23 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Is it really a massive rebuild? Arent alot of those guys returners.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

at least 4 of their returning players are 95+ composite ranked. they are not void of talent.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

We are 8-2 in year two with wins over Marquette and Louisville. 2-0 in B1G with a road win. What is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

according to some, 1) that's not good enough, and 2) we don't have an offensive system because we don't shoot FTs well.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

according to some, 1) that's not good enough, and 2) we don't have an offensive system because we don't shoot FTs well.

Logical fallacy ahoy. For somebody that doesn’t know Pitinos stint at Kentucky you sure act like you got all the answers. 

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

We are 8-2 in year two with wins over Marquette and Louisville. 2-0 in B1G with a road win. What is the problem?

We were 6-4 out of conference last year. The conference is what matters. And while we stole a decent road win we still just look like a middle of the pack big ten team. Despite on paper having more talent than probably any school outside the state of Michigan. 

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We were 6-4 out of conference last year. The conference is what matters. And while we stole a decent road win we still just look like a middle of the pack big ten team. Despite on paper having more talent than probably any school outside the state of Michigan. 

There is probably a big difference between middle of that pack Big Ten this year vs last year though. 7 of the top 25 teams in kenpom in our conference, including us at #25.  Not saying we are world beaters at all. And it is frustrating watching our talent struggle offensively for long stretches. I think we will improve as we get healthier and gel (I hope).

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Logical fallacy ahoy. For somebody that doesn’t know Pitinos stint at Kentucky you sure act like you got all the answers. 

I know Pitino's history very well. My Q was which situation are you referring too. Meaning KY or Louisville. And like I said earlier, Pitino and Cal are on another level. Why would you compare Archie to one of them? Would that not be setting irrational expectation. It's like you expect every basketball player to be Jordan.

In terms of star talent, MSU has the best composite talent over the last 4 years. OSU is not far behind.

What is better, to be 3 and 0 with a margin of 7 points or 0 and 3 with the same margin. We are a team that is growing and improving with a lot of underclassmen contributing. The roster is improving from year to year and, I think, the future is better than the past.

Ok. The conference is what matters? We are 2-0. What is the problem? We are beating good teams and we are pissed because of style points?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You keep saying that we "don't have a system" while completely ignoring that defense is half of the game. We're 19th in the nation in defensive efficiency. Everyone talked and talked about how Crean's teams never played defense. Well, now IU plays defense. Yet fans are complaining that we "don't have a 

Edited by jk34

Another few thoughts...

What was up with Romeo missing short on his second FT 2-3 times straight?

Archie got us a couple of and 1s in the first half by getting on the officials.

It wasn’t when Romeo missed, but I love Archie losing his **** after Juwan missed the first and called a timeout to flip out.

I’m hoping our shooting woes are just a product of having to work on ball security and defense. Combined with new lineups 

Its odd that our overall offensive efficiency has fallen since we fixed our turnover issue. We were literally a more efficient offense turning it over 20 times a game. 

Luckily we have 1 real game until January 3rd. Lots of practice time. And hopefully somebody comes back from injury 

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Ok. The conference is what matters? We are 2-0. What is the problem? We are beating good teams and we are pissed because of style points?

I think the problem people have - and perhaps not articulating -is the style we're playing is not sustainable and won't win consistently.  Eventually, you don't win all of your 1 or 2 point games.   Yeah, we're 3-0 in the last 3; but easily could be 0-3 in large part because our offense has looked pretty anemic at times and at best is  shaky.

“When Juwan gets the ball in the post, yeah, I mean, he’s always looking to pass,” Smith said. “He’s really looking to pass, I wouldn’t say first, but majority of the time he is looking to make plays out of the post. It gives me incentive definitely to dive knowing there’s a possibility. It does open the floor time sometimes for him or somebody else, but it’s definitely a part of our offense.”

Quote from Justin Smith on our offensive.

More analysis here: https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/12/08/notebook-smith-a-key-in-ius-win-over-louisville/

A little late to the party my some of my thoughts..

1) So glad we have a competitive non-conference schedule. I think Marquette (great win over Whisky), Louisville, and maybe Butler/Arkansas are NCAA Tournament teams. Could have played 5 NCAAT teams not including the other opponents if they win their auto bid. Louisville was a tough matchup. They have some size. Nwora will be a force in the ACC. 

2) These are the kind of games we lost under Crean. It shows we are headed in the right direction. It was so nice to see a team finish down the stretch. 

3) Justin Smith! A point and rebound away from a double-double. No turnovers either! Hope this is a turning point for him! 

4) Great win. Hope this team can handle Butler in Indy and I will be very very happy. I don't think McRoberts is 100 yet so getting him back to strength will be huge. I hope Fitzner can get going. 

10 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Seriously...I can't believe the negativity on this board over a win over a decent ACC team. It's embarrassing and pathetic.... I get it, this team has to get better. We aren't there yet offensively. Archie even told us this would happen at the start of the season. Free-throws, 3pt shooting, and taking care of the ball are musts. But come on people this is the toughest non-conference schedule IU has had in years. Add that to two B1G games. I would have loved to beat Arkansas but we have two wins over two NCAAT teams and two B1G wins.