Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Top 4 of Stanford, Northwestern, IU and Cincy. No surprises. Still open but these are his top 4. IU is the clear leader in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As much as I love IU, Stanford would be extremely hard to pass up. I doubt Leal ever gets to the NBA so I’m sure he is weighing that heavily. 

USPS, I should probably know this already, and honestly I don’t feel like sorting through this thread for it, but does he an offer from us? I’m thinking it was a point of contention that we haven’t offered yet. Please excuse my laziness.

I am pretty sure we offered both Leal and Galloway within days of each other. Both did come just a few weeks back I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Same. Sadly, even though I love IU, a Stanford degree is pretty powerful

It depends on what he wants to do. If he wants to stay in Indiana, an IU degree plus 4 years of IU basketball would likely be much more valuable than a Stanford degree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first after watching them during the summer of their sophomore year I always thought it would be one or the other as well. I’ve flipped back and forth since then which one I thought would be a better fit. For me it’s clear as they have gotten older that they have great chemistry on the court and don’t necessarily occupy the same space. Both have good size and each could play on the wing if asked. Now I think IU should take both and should feel good about the type of players they would be getting. I don’t feel these 2 have anything to do with if IU gets Davis. Got to get Davis or Steward on campus before I consider them an actual possibility. Davis leaving Georgetown without committing is a good sign but I feel IU is behind Marquette and Georgetown right now. Like you said recruiting isn’t easy. If Archie offered Leal after his sophomore year none of these other teams would of had a chance to build a relationship with him. However some would criticize him for offering early and taking a commitment that soon. Fast forward to the present where he didn’t offer early and he is getting criticized for not locking a local kid down early. lol. As a fan I love recruiting and all the twist and turns and stories but if I was a coach I think I would hate it
Leal, Galloway, Cross and one more and call it a day and focus on 2021. Each team averages 2.4 transfers a year and I don’t expect IU to be any different with that number next year so taking 4 will put IU at 13 before that so I would expect to be at 11 even with taking 4

National writers, scouts and others have a little different view of our recruiting results then some of the fans do. I’ve seen articles saying IU didn’t need a whole lot in the 2020 class thanks to its prior classes. However it turns out can’t wait to watch it unfold and then move on to 2021

Very good synopsis. I agree with you that fans would have criticized CAM if he offered him as sophomore and criticize him for waiting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

At first after watching them during the summer of their sophomore year I always thought it would be one or the other as well. I’ve flipped back and forth since then which one I thought would be a better fit. For me it’s clear as they have gotten older that they have great chemistry on the court and don’t necessarily occupy the same space. Both have good size and each could play on the wing if asked. Now I think IU should take both and should feel good about the type of players they would be getting. I don’t feel these 2 have anything to do with if IU gets Davis. Got to get Davis or Steward on campus before I consider them an actual possibility. Davis leaving Georgetown without committing is a good sign but I feel IU is behind Marquette and Georgetown right now. Like you said recruiting isn’t easy. If Archie offered Leal after his sophomore year none of these other teams would of had a chance to build a relationship with him. However some would criticize him for offering early and taking a commitment that soon. Fast forward to the present where he didn’t offer early and he is getting criticized for not locking a local kid down early. lol. As a fan I love recruiting and all the twist and turns and stories but if I was a coach I think I would hate it
Leal, Galloway, Cross and one more and call it a day and focus on 2021. Each team averages 2.4 transfers a year and I don’t expect IU to be any different with that number next year so taking 4 will put IU at 13 before that so I would expect to be at 11 even with taking 4

National writers, scouts and others have a little different view of our recruiting results then some of the fans do. I’ve seen articles saying IU didn’t need a whole lot in the 2020 class thanks to its prior classes. However it turns out can’t wait to watch it unfold and then move on to 2021

Few things:

1) Will defer to your judgement on the 2 playing together. You’ve seen it and I haven’t. Both move well without the ball, so it’s not hard to picture. 2) I am in the 1 or the other camp, and I strongly prefer Galloway, though I would love to find more full game video of Leal. The only 2 I’ve watched were his Regional games last year and he was....underwhelming. His Center Grove performance was really bad and I have trouble getting past a kid flat no showing in the biggest game of his year. 3) I disagree that taking both wouldn’t impact a kid like Davis or Diarra. I imagine part of the pitch to a ‘20 PG is going to be not just taking backup minutes from Rob, but getting minutes next to him. But that’s a pretty tough sell with a Sr Durham, Jr Anderson, Soph Franklin and Fr Galloway and Leal. Just too crowded for a kid to reasonably expect rotation minutes. That being said, I agree that Davis will be a tough pull under any circumstances. IU and G-town will both have established Jr PG’s, while Marquette will be replacing 20 shots a night. 

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Few things:

1) Will defer to your judgement on the 2 playing together. You’ve seen it and I haven’t. Both move well without the ball, so it’s not hard to picture. 2) I am in the 1 or the other camp, and I strongly prefer Galloway, though I would love to find more full game video of Leal. The only 2 I’ve watched were his Regional games last year and he was....underwhelming. His Center Grove performance was really bad and I have trouble getting past a kid flat no showing in the biggest game of his year. 3) I disagree that taking both wouldn’t impact a kid like Davis or Diarra. I imagine part of the pitch to a ‘20 PG is going to be not just taking backup minutes from Rob, but getting minutes next to him. But that’s a pretty tough sell with a Sr Durham, Jr Anderson, Soph Franklin and Fr Galloway and Leal. Just too crowded for a kid to reasonably expect rotation minutes. That being said, I agree that Davis will be a tough pull under any circumstances. IU and G-town will both have established Jr PG’s, while Marquette will be replacing 20 shots a night. 

Simply put.....I don't see how it would be effective to play a pass first point guard with RP on the floor at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Simply put.....I don't see how it would be effective to play a pass first point guard with RP on the floor at the same time. 

I agree. But I don’t think you’re going to bring in a useful Fr PG with the pitch that they’re going to play 10 mins a game for the next 2 years and take the job as a Jr. You’re gonna have to suggest a pathway to early minutes of some kind. The exception would be a kid like Lander, who’s so good that his game will demand that he plays immediately.

Few things:

Very good points. As a high school basketball fan I was sad that Leal got hurt in the first half of the center grove game. He wasn’t the same after that. As a center grove fan I wasn’t mad that he wasn’t 100 percent. No matter where Davis goes he is most likely going to have to work for rotational minutes and he seems like the type of player to not worry about other players in my opinion. In recruiting, coaches sell whatever the player wants to hear and then pretty much do what’s best for the team. Sounds cruel but most scouts I’ve talked with say that’s how it goes. During Wilkes recruitment saying he would play the 4 spot was a bad word and to even recruit him you had to tell him he wouldn’t play the 4. He played the 4 quite a bit at ucla.

9 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Im sitting on a balcony looking at the beach figured some might want to know Ohio St offered

As long as you're just sitting on the balcony and not standing on the ledge hyperventilating chanting "woe is IU, woe is IU!"   lol      Hope the USPS family is having a great vacation.