Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Anthony Leal’s short buzzer-beating bank shot lifted Bloomington South to a 51-50 overtime win at Floyd Central in a matchup of Class 4A Top 10 teams Saturday night. 

The loss snapped the Highlanders’ 31-game homecourt winning streak and continued the recent trend of last-second setbacks for Floyd coach Todd Sturgeon. 

“My first 20 years of coaching I lost one game on a last-second shot — a half-court bank shot against Southern Indiana when they were No. 1 in the country — that’s the only one for all those years,” Sturgeon said. “My last three losses have been by last second-shots — at Jeff last year, New Albany in the sectional and this one.” 

Connor Hickman paced the second-ranked Panthers (7-0) with 14 points while Noah Jager added 13, Anthony Leal 12 and Cody Doig 10. 

Bloomington South participating in the Bob Wettig Classic in Richmond and is scheduled to play Indianapolis Home School at 4:30 today (Friday) and the earlier games have run fairly close to their scheduled tipoffs.  If South wins, they'll play again at noon on Saturday against the winner of Portage/Greensburg.

Game streams available at:     https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0sQE6bdmryzlZV9wyYpM5A

At the end of the 1st Q Bloomington South led 20-14 and the game quickly deteriorated for Indy Home School after that as they trailed 48-22 at halftime.  Leal with 17 pts. in the first half.  Final score was 80-48 as Blooomington South moved to 8-0 on the season.  Leal sat out the entire 4th Q and finished with 21 pts. on 9-12 FG; 2-3 on 3s; 1-1 FT; 3 reb; 1 asst; 2 TO; 2 stls; 1 blk.  Bloomington South will play Greensburg tomorrow at noon.

In a semifinal game in the Bob Wettig Classic, Bloomington South defeated Greensburg 75-48 and will play the winner of Richmond/Zionsville in tonight's championship game.  Leal picked up 2 early fouls in the 1st Q and spent the rest of the first half on the bench.  Despite his time on the bench Bloom. So. turned a 1st Q 4 point deficit into an 8 point halftime lead and then just totally dominated the 2nd half.  Leal played 13 min. of the 2nd half and finished the game with 12 pts.  

His extended rest this afternoon due to foul trouble paid off tonight as Bloom. South wins the Bob Wettig Classic 59-38 over Zionsville.  I had Leal with 23 pts. on 7-10 FG; 2-4 on 3s; 7-7 FT; 5 reb; 4 asst; 4 stls.  If anyone was at the game I'd like a report on the crowd because from the game stream the bleachers were really sparse.

A big THANK YOU to Anthony's mother.  Updated stats for Anthony.

Updated stats for Anthony(through 10 games):

12/35 on 3 pointers(34.3%)

67/108 on all FG(62%)

32/42 on FTs(76.2%)

4.5 rebounds per game.

I don’t have consistent stats on Assists/Steals/Blocks.

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A big THANK YOU to Anthony's mother.  Updated stats for Anthony.

Updated stats for Anthony(through 10 games):

12/35 on 3 pointers(34.3%)

67/108 on all FG(62%)

32/42 on FTs(76.2%)

4.5 rebounds per game.

I don’t have consistent stats on Assists/Steals/Blocks.

I wish his 3 pt % was higher but I like the 76% FT and 62% on all FGs.

Hopefully he can be a 40+% from 3 for us that we've been seeking for the last few years.  It seems like it's been forever since we've had that guy, probably Zeisloft was the most recent one we've had.

Game was over quickly and Bloom So. gets an 82-48 win over Bloomfield.  The game stream went offline for part of the 1st and into the 2nd Q so my stat sheet is in no way accurate other than Leal finished with 17 points.  While the stream was working he was 8-11 FG; 1-2 on 3s; 3 reb; 4 asst; 5 stls; 1 TO.  Leal plays again tomorrow night at Boonville.

Game was over quickly and Bloom So. gets an 82-48 win over Bloomfield.  The game stream went offline for part of the 1st and into the 2nd Q so my stat sheet is in no way accurate other than Leal finished with 17 points.  While the stream was working he was 8-11 FG; 1-2 on 3s; 3 reb; 4 asst; 5 stls; 1 TO.  Leal plays again tomorrow night at Boonville.

Leal should be at home tomorrow against Evansville Central. Lander is on the road at Boonville.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Reading your updates on Anthony's games, one thing I've noticed is that he's had good shooting pct. consistently.  That makes me glad he'll be in SSAH next year.

11 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Reading your updates on Anthony's games, one thing I've noticed is that he's had good shooting pct. consistently.  That makes me glad he'll be in SSAH next year.

This is a case where the numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story.  Yes, his shooting % has been quite good in a number of games, but in the ones I've been able to watch, he's getting a lot of fast break layups or tipins.  He's not  shooting  8-10' jump shots.  Bloom. So. likes to really run the court and he gets a lot of breakaway layups off opponents missed baskets.  

After watching both this season. Galloway is more impressive to me. Better on the ball. More athletic (Leal can dunk and does a couple each game it seems. But Galloway looks to play harder. Cut harder, drive harder, etc. Leal has a lot of nonchalant in his game.

Hard for me to forecast Leal. Willing passer. Uses size to advantage in HS with post ups. Gets out in transition. Confident shooter. Has a bit of a funny gait.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 1/4/2020 at 10:45 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This is a case where the numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story.  Yes, his shooting % has been quite good in a number of games, but in the ones I've been able to watch, he's getting a lot of fast break layups or tipins.  He's not  shooting  8-10' jump shots.  Bloom. So. likes to really run the court and he gets a lot of breakaway layups off opponents missed baskets.  

Bummer.  Tempers my enthusiasm a bit.  Thanks for the insight none the less.

I've always remembered something an old basketball coach said, I want to say it was Abe Lemons (paraphrasing): I'd rather a player get 10 points every game that 30 one night and nothing the next".  We need scorers, consistent scorers.