Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Are we reaping the rewards of having a #1 team in the country 7 years later? Do these guys have a love/interest in part due to that that others had not?

I grew up watching Alford and Cheaney and seeing us be a top team. I’ve always wondered if I had been born little later and grew up with the mid to late 90s teams if I would be this rabid about IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Are we reaping the rewards of having a #1 team in the country 7 years later? Do these guys have a love/interest in part due to that that others had not?

I grew up watching Alford and Cheaney and seeing us be a top team. I’ve always wondered if I had been born little later and grew up with the mid to late 90s teams if I would be this rabid about IU

I was born in ‘86, and only really remember watching the ‘02 title run season, and I’m a crazy huge IU fan. I remember Guyton, Lewis, Haston, and Recker, but barely. I’m a die-hard fan, even though I’ve mainly lived through the down years of IU basketball. I may question myself at times lol, but always a die-hard fan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was born in ‘86, and only really remember watching the ‘02 title run season, and I’m a crazy huge IU fan. I remember Guyton, Lewis, Haston, and Recker, but barely. I’m a die-hard fan, even though I’ve mainly lived through the down years of IU basketball. I may question myself at times lol, but always a die-hard fan.

I grew up with Isaiah and was hooked then we had the season on the brink years where things were bleak. Sophomore year at IU was in 87 when all was right in the world.

I grew up with Isaiah and was hooked then we had the season on the brink years where things were bleak. Sophomore year at IU was in 87 when all was right in the world.

Hooked is the key word.

I think most need that hook. For some it was 76, 81, 87, 93, 02,12 but those hooks have been fewer and farther between lately.

Was it the 12 success that hooked Leal and some others?

As someone in their early 20s I grew up watching IU but didn’t fall in love with IU until the C-Wat shot and that Zeller Oladipo team the following year. I’m sure these guys feel the same. Having the #1 team in the country those years is definitely playing a small factor. Everyone sees what we can become, I remember walking into Assembly hall as a 7th grader and it was rocking all game, something I’ll never forget. That’s what we trying to get back to and these recruits understand that and are going to bust @$$ for us.

I think you are on to something here.

26 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think you are on to something here.

I definitely can see this. Most kids start picking their favorite teams around ages 8-13yrs old. At least I and most of my friends did. We were riding a competitive high about the time these recruits were that age. Alot of Hulls jerseys being sold then.

My son just turned 13 years old.  We live in South Florida, but thanks to me and the big 10 network we are rabid IU fans. My kid is an Undersized point guard who starts on his middle school team. He’s got a nice shooting stroke;  and it kind of starts on top of his right shoulder. His favorite college player of all time?

Jordan Hulls

17 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Nigel Pack is the best player in the state right now and he is committed to Kansas State.

I'm with you on many things, but not this one. Pack is listed as a 5'10 165 pound 3 star, ranked outside the top 150. If he committed to IU I think you would be complaining about how we picked up an undersized pg ranked 195th in the country. 

image.thumb.png.215378ff8da1917191c7ec9722936edd.png

52 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm with you on many things, but not this one. Pack is listed as a 5'10 165 pound 3 star, ranked outside the top 150. If he committed to IU I think you would be complaining about how we picked up an undersized pg ranked 195th in the country. 

image.thumb.png.215378ff8da1917191c7ec9722936edd.png

Not to mention he didn’t have a single big ten offer. 

I grew up listening to the Hoosiers on the radio in the mid to late '50's in the barn while milking and tending to the cows. I have been hooked ever since. Perspective means a lot and this is not meant to belittle anyone else's experience. We all started somewhere. I see the program from a different place than those who came later. Different, not better. I thought it interesting that Leal referenced the Wat Shot as the the way IU used to be. That should tell us something about how kids think these days. It's not the McCracken days, or the Knight days, or Davis or Sampson days. It's the Crean days. That is the experienced view of IU basketball that kids today think about. They see the banners, but can't really relate to those days or those players. We have to be able to sell what can be again, not what was.

Yep! Kinda my point, these kids that are in high school now idolized Hulls, Watford, Yogi, Zeller, Okadipo and while there might be some recognition that there was a ton of success and even bigger success before them it doesn’t really register or mean as much as it was not in their impressionable years or even lifetime

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

My son just turned 13 years old.  We live in South Florida, but thanks to me and the big 10 network we are rabid IU fans. My kid is an Undersized point guard who starts on his middle school team. He’s got a nice shooting stroke;  and it kind of starts on top of his right shoulder. His favorite college player of all time?

Jordan Hulls

Kid has impeccable taste.