Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If people want to say it’s a bad look for a local kid to “spurn” IU that’s cool and in Leals case I would agree with them it wouldn’t of been a good look( not going to happen). As long as after Friday those same people come back on here and say it’s a great look for a top 100 local kid to stay home and play for Archie and Indiana 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

^^Exactamundo^^

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I just keep waiting for a certain poster to say it's a good day to be in Bloomington.

Don't be too surprised if the certain poster lets the kid have his moment, one way or the other. I know in the past he has kept back info he had, even if the board would love it. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep the real question is now how big this class is. 

Frankly would like to use one of the spots on a grad transfer PG. somebody to provide depth but somebody out of the way for Lander. 

Then need another big for sure 

My thoughts exactly (so it must be right!) get a solid back-up PG for a year and a Big (Loveday would be great, IMO) along with Leal and Galloway and I call this class a huge success.  

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

It would be a bad look, no matter how anyone would try to spin it. Archie's brother is being investigated by the FBI and still landing five star players. If Archie is supposedly clean and couldn't land a top 100 player in his own backyard, it's a bad look. Especially if that player goes to a place with little basketball history that plays in a terrible conference.

I'd have to think that the worst "bad look" and negative recruiting ammunition would be something like an FBI investigation/recruiting scandal.  Yet, as mentioned that coach is still recruiting at a high level under that exact shadow.  I just don't see not landing Leal as having any real impact on CAM's ability to recruit, other than riling up the pessimists in the fanbase.

3 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

Sigh...remember when Archie didn't recruit Musa Jallow and he went to OSU? Then we picked up a better, more heralded recruit in Jerome Hunter from OSU's backyard. I believe you have to think big picture 

Big picture? Ok. We're 0-4 against OSU the past two seasons, they've had better teams than us and they figure to be better than us again this year (along with 8-9 other Big Ten teams). That's working out great for us, isn't it?

Big picture? Ok. We're 0-4 against OSU the past two seasons, they've had better teams than us and they figure to be better than us again this year (along with 8-9 other Big Ten teams). That's working out great for us, isn't it?

It hasn’t worked for us yet, that’s for sure. But if we can all give it a little time I think this will work out great for us. Its just hard to be patient when we look around at some of our rivals and seeing them having success and we arent

Not an Anti-Archie statement. But Holtman was the guy I wanted. I knew he’d be good. We never get the “Butler Coach”, and this is what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We get top 100 players from Bloomington to come to IU?

Not an Anti-Archie statement. But Holtman was the guy I wanted. I knew he’d be good. We never get the “Butler Coach”, and this is what happens.

He’s done well there so far. I’d say 2-0 in favor of Holtman thus far. If we look back in 18 years and Archie is 18-2 in terms of our success I will be thrilled.

I’m in his corner but not entirely sold. Biggest issues I’ve had is that he didn’t bring in any grad transfers or juco guys in year 1 or realistically year 2 to give us the old that many believe is a key to success.

Instead he brought in a ton of freshmen, of which 1 has already transferred, another looked highly questionable as to whether he can produce at this level and not his fault but a third that didn’t play a minute.

We should have been a tourney team, likely one good player/experienced leader away from doing that and he could have solved for that but didn’t.

Latest concerns are that we needed a shooter in this class and didn’t get one. He also saw how injuries can set a team back yet he left two scholarships open even when we still have a player on the team that may not be able to suit up, leaving us with little to no room for anything unfortunate to happen during the season.

Soooo, I am far from confident Archie has it all figured out and that in time he will be what we all want, but he is doing some things right and that is recruiting who he believes are the best kids in our state and they are buying in. That is his one big success point for me, enough to be cautiously optimistic

34 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

What happens? IU finishes with the same record in the B1G as Holtman and Ohio St. both teams ended up being mediocre power 5 conference teams last year. Nothing special about either. Only difference is they snuck in the tournament by beating the middle of the B1G at home and IU didn’t. They were pretty much the same teams. Holtman and Ohio St went 0-8 against the top 5 teams in B1G. IU won 3 games against the top 5 teams. Before you use head to head as an argument IU beat Michigan St twice doesn’t mean IU was the better team.

Another difference is IU made Leals top 2 and Ohio St didn’t

Another difference is that Ohio State certainly regressed from year one to year two.....3 losses in year one, 12 in year two.  I think as years go on it becomes more about the current coach and less about what they inherited.

He didn't want the job if I remember correctly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

These kids weren’t in the same recruiting class and there’s zero reason we couldn’t have taken both. Leaving out the obvious point that one of the kids mentioned has over 20 starts for a BigTen program that has out performed IU the past two seasons and the other has yet to play a single minute.

Perhaps we should wait for Hunter to get on the court before making such statements. Leal is a top target who’s been heavily recruited by Archie, not a local kid who was overlooked and went elsewhere. Not landing him would be a bad look regardless of who he can sign otherwise. That being said I would completely understand why a kid from Indiana would want to spend 4 years in California at one of the top universities in the world. 

Over 20 starts but would you (or anyone) be happy with 3 ppg in 15 mpg with poor shooting and poor overall efficiency across the board? We didn't miss out here.