Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Is there doubt on your end that these two don't fit the bill? Little late with one committed and the other 3 days away from announcing if you think not. 

I have no idea. I’m a big fan of Galloway and could be a huge fan of Leal too.

My favorite player of all time is Calbert cheaney but Fife and Moye are close second and third. Point I’m making is that I have a huge respect for toughness/grit/effort and I am confident Galloway has that.

There are other important roles to be played too and Leal could fill one of those.

The other point I was initially making is that there are probably 10 kids from the state of Indiana that IU would/could consider recruiting and some of those might end up being all-conference in the big ten and others may never play an important role on a D-1 team. It’s really hard to know who is who and getting the right ones and avoiding the misses.

I think Archie has gotten a few winners and maybe a few duds too. Time will tell on those but I am not certain every kid he has gotten from Indiana is who we need.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I heard today Archie is happy with local recruiting and the program in general. Sees it building to success. I think he was shocked to not get Brooks. We’ll see if it breeds success.

The next worry, is if we fill the roster with Indiana kids, the 3 or 4 who don’t play, how does that play out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This makes me happy.  I didn't see it early last season, but I did see it late.   If he's happy, we're going in a good direction.  He's a competitive SOB, if nothing else.

This makes me happy.  I didn't see it early last season, but I did see it late.   If he's happy, we're going in a good direction.  He's a competitive SOB, if nothing else.

Yeah, the person I talked to, talked with Archie. He’s previously been connected to IUBB players and other coaching regimes.

I don’t think he knows Archie great, and Archie may just be playing poker, but I trust what he’s been told.

It was honestly encouraging to me as well.

But I’m a stubborn old bat, and I need to see W’s and improved play to get my hopes up. But I’m vulnerable to loving good news too......

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, the person I talked to, talked with Archie. He’s previously been connected to IUBB players and other coaching regimes.

I don’t think he knows Archie great, and Archie may just be playing poker, but I trust what he’s been told.

It was honestly encouraging to me as well.

But I’m a stubborn old bat, and I need to see W’s and improved play to get my hopes up. But I’m vulnerable to loving good news too......

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have been called a hell of a lot worse, and proud of it.  I trust my eyes, and I saw it.  I have been really hard on DeVonte Green, and if I'm honest with myself, I saw lots of what I believe to be team growth manifested in him.  I was encouraged despite the results.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Does anybody have Leals AAU stats handy?

Took me a while, but found them for the past season:

17 games, 12.2 ppg, 71/146 from the field (49%), 39/93 from three (42%), 27/43 free throws (63%), 2.9 rpg, 2.9 apg, .8 topg.

https://www.exposuresportsnews.com/roster_players/32276167

Just now, mdn82 said:

Dude he is going to IU. It’s ok to not be completely paranoid once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep the real question is now how big this class is. 

Frankly would like to use one of the spots on a grad transfer PG. somebody to provide depth but somebody out of the way for Lander. 

Then need another big for sure 

16 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

If Leal spurns IU, and its possible, then that is a horrible look for IUs perception. Even if it’s for Academic reasons.

Opposing coaches will use that against us.

“Why go to Indiana, even their hometown kids are hesitant to go there”.

-Matt Painter

Wow, your life is miserable.  There can't be any other explanation that I would believe.

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

If Leal spurns IU, and its possible, then that is a horrible look for IUs perception. Even if it’s for Academic reasons.

Opposing coaches will use that against us.

“Why go to Indiana, even their hometown kids are hesitant to go there”.

-Matt Painter

Remember back to when you were an 18 year old. Do you want Mom and Dad dropping by the dorm for a visit unannounced because they only live 10 minutes away? There are more than just academic reasons to leave Bloomington for Stanford. Sometimes kids just want to get out of their home town.

That said, I think as a top 100 player Leal is focused on basketball and will pick IU.

36 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Remember back to when you were an 18 year old. Do you want Mom and Dad dropping by the dorm for a visit unannounced because they only live 10 minutes away? There are more than just academic reasons to leave Bloomington for Stanford. Sometimes kids just want to get out of their home town.

That said, I think as a top 100 player Leal is focused on basketball and will pick IU.

It would be a bad look, no matter how anyone would try to spin it. Archie's brother is being investigated by the FBI and still landing five star players. If Archie is supposedly clean and couldn't land a top 100 player in his own backyard, it's a bad look. Especially if that player goes to a place with little basketball history that plays in a terrible conference.

20 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Sigh...remember when Archie didn't recruit Musa Jallow and he went to OSU? Then we picked up a better, more heralded recruit in Jerome Hunter from OSU's backyard. I believe you have to think big picture 

These kids weren’t in the same recruiting class and there’s zero reason we couldn’t have taken both. Leaving out the obvious point that one of the kids mentioned has over 20 starts for a BigTen program that has out performed IU the past two seasons and the other has yet to play a single minute.

Perhaps we should wait for Hunter to get on the court before making such statements. Leal is a top target who’s been heavily recruited by Archie, not a local kid who was overlooked and went elsewhere. Not landing him would be a bad look regardless of who he can sign otherwise. That being said I would completely understand why a kid from Indiana would want to spend 4 years in California at one of the top universities in the world.