Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Have to say that if coaching stability is a factor, I wouldn't say Stanford is any safer of a bet than Indiana.  While we haven't been happy with Archie's results the past two years, Jerod Haase is going into his fourth season at Stanford with a three year record of 48-49 and a 16-15 record last year in a very bad Pac 12.

You don’t choose Stanford because basketball is the priority. 

25 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I’d be more worried if it were Virginia. It’s close. His parents will be giving up a 10 minute drive for a 2500 mile trip. For 4 years. I can’t imagine they won’t try to talk him out of that. I think Stanford will be the bridesmaid that we are so often used to being. If he goes to Stanford, he will transfer back here as soon as Haase is fired.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Unless they value education more than basketball as well

6 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

North Carolina is an excellent school. US News & World Report ranks UNC 30th academically among universities, well above IU (89th). Kentucky is ranked farther down (147).

Regardless of their ranking the athletes are separated from the academics. Intentionally 

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

North Carolina is an excellent school. US News & World Report ranks UNC 30th academically among universities, well above IU (89th). Kentucky is ranked farther down (147).

I don't think anyone is doubting that their real classes are high quality, just with UNC it's no guarantee the class is real to begin with.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

That was a hypothetical. 

Understood.  I just think that fan bases tend to assume that there is a there is one priority that makes a player decide.  There are a multiple of weighted ones.  Education, fit with the team, coaches, distance from home, weather, family's influence, etc.  Everything gets weighted at different levels depending on the player.

9 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I said this over on the other site. Leal can come to IU for 4 years and then his 5th year be a grad transfer to Stanford and everyone is happy.emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Sounds good, but he has to redshirt for that to work.

Just for some reference here are some recruits that have had Stanford offers and have went elsewhere since 2016 according to 247

2016- frank Jackson, Cassius Winston, tony Carr, josh Langford, jaqurio McLaughlin, Jordan Harris, jonathon Isaac, deshawn Corprew, Javin DeLaurier, Omari spellman, jayce Johnson

2017- Collin Sexton, trae young, Alex Barcello, Saben lee, brad Davison, jace Febres, Andrew platak, Michael Porter, Musa jallow, Justin Smith, Branden Carlson, Jamir Harris

2018- Andrew Nembhard, Jaelin Llewellyn(went to Princeton), Brenden Adams, Jules Bernard, Nassir Little, Jairus Hamilton, 0mar thielemans, J’Raan Brooks

2019- Nico Mannion, Jalen cone, Scottie Lewis, Josh Green, Christian Brown, Jamie Jaquez, franz Wagner, Majok Deng, Isaiah Mobley, Isaiah Ihnen, Dylan Disu, onyeka okongwu, armondo bacot, will Baker, kai Jones, Aidan Igiehon , Isaac Johnson, tyrese maxey, Josiah-Jordan James

16 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just for some reference here are some recruits that have had Stanford offers and have went elsewhere since 2016 according to 247

2016- frank Jackson, Cassius Winston, tony Carr, josh Langford, jaqurio McLaughlin, Jordan Harris, jonathon Isaac, deshawn Corprew, Javin DeLaurier, Omari spellman, jayce Johnson

2017- Collin Sexton, trae young, Alex Barcello, Saben lee, brad Davison, jace Febres, Andrew platak, Michael Porter, Musa jallow, Justin Smith, Branden Carlson, Jamir Harris

2018- Andrew Nembhard, Jaelin Llewellyn(went to Princeton), Brenden Adams, Jules Bernard, Nassir Little, Jairus Hamilton, 0mar thielemans, J’Raan Brooks

2019- Nico Mannion, Jalen cone, Scottie Lewis, Josh Green, Christian Brown, Jamie Jaquez, franz Wagner, Majok Deng, Isaiah Mobley, Isaiah Ihnen, Dylan Disu, onyeka okongwu, armondo bacot, will Baker, kai Jones, Aidan Igiehon , Isaac Johnson, tyrese maxey, Josiah-Jordan James

Yes, but how many of those had Stanford in their final two?

That being said, I'm optimistic that Anthony Leal will be a Hoosier. It just makes too much sense, and smart people with time to think usually end up making the choice that makes the most sense.

Which I will never understand. Overrated IMO

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Palo Alto and Northern California are amazing. If you’re calling it overrated and also implying that maybe Indiana is better... that’s quite the take.

Yes, but how many of those had Stanford in their final two?
That being said, I'm optimistic that Anthony Leal will be a Hoosier. It just makes too much sense, and smart people with time to think usually end up making the choice that makes the most sense.

Not sure how many had them in their final 2 but was just pointing out that in the last 4 recruiting cycles over 50 kids who had offers to play at Stanford went to another school. I’ve seen on here and other places that it would be hard for Leal to turn down a Stanford offer. Other top rated kids do it every year. Like you said I personally do not see him going anywhere but IU unless he doesn’t feel wanted

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure how many had them in their final 2 but was just pointing out that in the last 4 recruiting cycles over 50 kids who had offers to play at Stanford went to another school. I’ve seen on here and other places that it would be hard for Leal to turn down a Stanford offer. Other top rated kids do it every year. Like you said I personally do not see him going anywhere but IU unless he doesn’t feel wanted

Completely agree.

The "Stanford is irresistible" mantra, IMO is largely based on well-meaning IU fans who are verbalizing the need to not count chickens before they hatch. For a top 100 player from the Midwest? If academics were the overwhelming priority, I'd think NW or UM would be in there too. 

32 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Palo Alto and Northern California are amazing. If you’re calling it overrated and also implying that maybe Indiana is better... that’s quite the take.

I've been to Palo Alto once.  While the Stanford campus was nice, I never once thought "man, I wish I lived here".   You're overselling it IMO but opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. lol

23 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

We could do this same exercise with Indiana during the Crean years and it would look about twice as bad (if not worse). I don't think the number of kids who have turned down a school over the last few recruiting cycles has an iota of predictive value when discussing an individual athlete who has shown serious interest.