Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

If he's planning on a business school degree Kelley has him covered. I'm betting that the family is so close that a plane trip to Palo Alto and almost never seeing him play will be major.

Inside out baby!

One more thing; at the risk of over-analyzing the photo he attached to his tweet, it's his Indiana Elite jersey, but with his arm strategically covering the word "Elite", leaving only ... 

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

One more thing; at the risk of over-analyzing the photo he attached to his tweet, it's his Indiana Elite jersey, but with his arm strategically covering the word "Elite", leaving only ... 

That's funny - I thought the exact same thing when I saw the photo. Subliminal message at the very least...

35 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

You know I respect the hell out of that. Not a final 15. He legitimately is considering 2 schools and said it. You don’t see that much anymore. He is probably going to IU but I think anyone would at least think about a Stanford.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Or the "here's my top 10, still open to other schools though!" that we see from a lot of kids. I think Stanford will be tough to beat here.

If he's planning on a business school degree Kelley has him covered. I'm betting that the family is so close that a plane trip to Palo Alto and almost never seeing him play will be major.
Inside out baby!

STOP

Please let’s not do this anymore lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

What's his connection to Stanford? The education is great, but there are other places within 1000 miles of his home he can go for that. Besides a few years with Montgomery, I can't remember when Stanford was nationally relevant in hoops. I can't remember the last time I saw Stanford bball on tv before midnight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, LIHoosier said:

What's his connection to Stanford? The education is great, but there are other places within 1000 miles of his home he can go for that. Besides a few years with Montgomery, I can't remember when Stanford was nationally relevant in hoops. I can't remember the last time I saw Stanford bball on tv before midnight.

The attraction must be real; he had an offer from Northwestern and was recruited by UVA, and they didn’t make the cut.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Inside out baby!

YEAH BUT.... he's pointing to the Stanford logo and just threw an out of date logo on there for us. We're screwed. BUT....the stadium in the background is Lucas Oil, so obviously he's staying home. We're fine. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

See, I went the other way. Looked at it and thought, the kid is pointing right at the Stanford emblem. 

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Which I will never understand. Overrated IMO

Maybe. But if you're an 18 year old kid, the opportunity to go to one of the best colleges in the world (while also enjoying nice weather year round) would be hard to pass up. I hope he picks us obviously, but if he doesn't I can't be mad at him. As much as I love IU and enjoyed my experiences there, I would've been very tempted by an opportunity like that.

Palo Alto is absolutely beautiful. The primary downside is that it's really expensive, but that's not a problem as a D1 scholarship athlete.

As Old Fart said, there has to be an excellent relationship between the Leals and the Stanford coaching staff, because he was also recruited by NW and UVA, both of which are also truly top shelf academic institutions with beautiful campuses.

I've thought Leal would go to Stanford ever since they offered. It's a great school with an excellent athletic tradition. Not all kids want to go to college close to home, especially if they grew up in the same town--all the more reason to get out and see the world. Going to Stanford on an athletic scholarship is too good an offer for many to pass up. We would have a better chance if the program was in better shape. We'll see.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think Stanford was the first D1 to really start following him and he's an exceptionally intelligent young man.  He won't require any fake classes to get a degree regardless of where he goes.
Which is funny considering Stanford's coach was a player and assistant under Ol Roy.

Have to say that if coaching stability is a factor, I wouldn't say Stanford is any safer of a bet than Indiana.  While we haven't been happy with Archie's results the past two years, Jerod Haase is going into his fourth season at Stanford with a three year record of 48-49 and a 16-15 record last year in a very bad Pac 12.