Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2020) SG Anthony Leal to IU

Bloomington South advanced in the Bob Wettig Classic with a 78-45 win over Seton Catholic (small private school in Richmond).  Leal played all of the first half but only about 9 minutes in the second half.  He finished with 29 points on 10-15 FG's; 5-9 on 3's; 4-4 FT's; 4 reb; 3 asst; 1 TO.  They play again tomorrow morning at 11:30 am against the winner of Zionsville vs. Connersville.

I saw after the fact that he had 7 assists in his Thursday night game

For the most part, Leal is a catch and shoot player and doesn't do a lot of dribbling.  Defensively, he played out top for the most part and did get beat twice on baseline drives.  South's opponents last night and today were clearly out-matched from the outset and it will be interesting to see what Leal does tomorrow morning probably against Zionsville.  

Bloomington South goes down in OT to Zionsville 63-62 and will face the loser of the Richmond vs Cathedral game at 6:00 tonight.  Leal had at least 22 points; the announcers had him up to 26.  I only had him for 5-10 FG; 1-2 on 3's and  11-15 FT, 2 reb; 0 asst; 1 stl, 1 TO.

With 20 sec. left in regulation, he missed a FT that would have given Bloom. a 3-point lead.  In OT, he missed 2 of 3 with 23 sec. left and Bloomington down 1.  From the vantage point of my comfy chair, I don't think he has much of a vertical.  He can dunk, but I've now seen him get blocked at the rim several times and outrebounded by a player behind him more than once.

PUke bound Isaiah Thompson had 29 for Z'ville.

Bloom. South held on to win the 3rd place game in the Wettig Classic over Richmond 64-58 but did their best to give it away.  South led 30-14 at the end of the 1st and Leal had 13 pts.  He would only score 5 more.  At the end of the 3rd, South led 54-33 and ended up with only a 6 point winning margin.  For the game Leal scored 18 on 7-14 FG; 3-7 on 3's; 1-1 FT; 4 reb; 2 stls; 3 TO.  One thing I particulary noticed in the 3 games I watched this weekend, he does not aggressively take it to the bucket.  Almost invariably he'll start a drive and then kicks it out.   

7 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Butler offered today

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Has IU offered? Arch seems to be slow playing this class so he may be looking at his outside approach here. 

I talked to someone in the know, that IU is expected to offer and that Leal may commit on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

I genuinely don’t know if Leal is good enough for IU - that’s for Archie to decide - but man do I love a player who will commit on the spot

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm far from a scout, but I've had the opportunity to watch Leal multiple times over the last couple of years...

My feelings on him is something of a mixed bag, to be honest. You look at his #77 ranking composite at a position we'll need and combine that with the fact that he's a hometown kid who (at the very least) had an interest in the Hoosiers growing up and you think it's a no-brainer... he should definitely receive an offer. But then I actually watch him play a whole game instead of select 3 minute highlight clips and then it becomes a bit more complicated.

Again, that 3-minute video on the first page of this thread is impressive and really shows you the "Best of Anthony Leal". He has a wide variety of capabilities on the offensive end. His shooting can allow him to get hot at any point in time. He has good size for a guard at 6'5 and can find ways to use it to his advantage. He has the ability to drive through the lane and finish through contact. If that video is representative of his play over the summer and why he is ranked #77, I can understand why.

However, watching Leal in-person, I can see why Archie is waiting. Again, judging by that video you would think Leal would be a dominant player. I'll say that he has maybe been dominant in a few games this year. On the contrary, there have been a few games this season when he has really struggled. For example, he had a bad game vs. 3A Edgewood (As Chris007 pointed out earlier in this thread.) While Edgewood has a pretty good team this year they aren't a team I would expect Leal to struggle against. But he was visibly off his game in that one. His shot didn't look good, his handle was loose and his opponents just seemed to play harder. I watched him play a handful of times as a sophomore and again... it was a mixed bag. There were some games when you look at him and feel he's going to be a high-level player in college while there were other games when you wouldn't be so sure.

But this is just my opinion. I definitely think he has potential to be a good player in college. But I also have similar feelings about guys like Armaan Franklin and Damezi Anderson. I think they are similar "impact" type players. May take him a year or two before making much of an impact. So if you liked the pickup of guys like Anderson and Franklin, I think you'll definitely like/want Leal. But if you are expecting a McDonald's All-American type of player... I don't believe he's at that level. But then again, if he could become more consistent... look out!

He seems to be a likable guy and great student. If we're adding 3 guys in 2020, I'd definitely be cool with Leal as one of the members.

Here is the thing where I think Archie and Co. differs from the previous coaching staff. We’ll have Anderson, Franklin, and possibly Leal in consecutive years. They won’t be expected to contribute from day 1 but will be asked to be great teammates and work on their game. If junior Leal could be close to a Zeisloft type player, maybe with better handles and better defense, I’m game. I believe this staff is building the program the right way in terms of depth and player development.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On Saturday, Bloom. So. (12-3) crushed No. Posey (3-7)  73-44.  The game was played Saturday afternoon and reports I saw indicated there were only about 200 people watching the game played at No. Posey.  Leal with 24 pts. on 10-16 FG; 4-8 on 3's and 7 reb.