Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

Reggie Bass (PG), one of the higher ranked Indiana kids in the '22 class is transferring from Muncie Central to Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Tennessee.

I’ve heard from someone that played in middle school with him that he would have been ineligible his senior year so to the IHSAA age rule so prep school was pretty much inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

FWIW, Muncie Star Press article on Reggie Bass' departure.

MUNCIE, Ind. — Reggie Bass' plan always meant doing what was best for him.

The benefits for staying at Muncie Central were clear. He could play basketball for the Bearcats, become a part of the legacy at Muncie Fieldhouse and try for a state title. He could earn a spot with the Indiana All-Stars, maybe even compete for Mr. Basketball. But there were benefits with leaving, too.

Bass could play against a higher level of competition and possibly improve more during his athletic development. There would be more national exposure for his recruitment. And he felt it could help him academically.

Wednesday, the soon-to-be sophomore announced his decision to transfer to a school in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

"First off, Thank you God for giving me a blessed opportunity!!!" Bass tweeted. "I would like to thank the wonderful staff (at Muncie Central) for helping me not only on the court but in the classroom. I will be furthering my education at Hamilton Heights Christian Academy."

Bass becomes another in a growing list of basketball players in Indiana and around the country who've elected to not finish their high school careers at their original high school. There was Fort Wayne North Side's Keion Brooks Jr., who chose last summer to attend La Lumiere for his senior year and ended up landing at the University of Kentucky for college. There was Jaren Jackson Jr., who left Park Tudor for La Lumiere ahead of his senior year in 2016-17 and became the No. 4 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft after one season with Michigan State. 

The list goes on.

"I kind of expected it by him not being with us all summer," Central coach Chandler Thompson said. "I've only seen him two times after the season so we kind of figured that was the move he was going to make. So, it's not a big surprise. It's just the nature of the game, nowadays."

Bass, who plays AAU ball for Team Teague 2022, averaged 12.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game as a freshman for a Bearcats squad that went 13-11. He even earned some recognition from MaxPreps, which awarded him an honorable mention spot on its 2018-19 Freshman All-American Team.

But now further significant steps in his development, one that could very well see him end up at a Division I program — Bass told the Star Press in May that Ball State and Youngstown State are two of the schools recruiting him — will take place away from Muncie. And it leaves Thompson's team without a key piece.

Of course, it'll only be a guess now, what could have been had Bass stayed. 

"If he comes out and plays like he played last year and (the team) plays how we're playing this year it could be something great," Thompson said. "But, if he came out and played for himself and not for the team and the way the team has been playing this summer, some good team ball, then it could have been a disaster for one of us. It could have been a disaster for the team or for himself." 

Thompson is confident the Bearcats will still be competitive this season. There's still Victor Young and Dylan Stafford. There are still a number of players Thompson believes will be significant factors in this team's success. He's noticed a level of chemistry already with this group.

Whatever happens during the season will just happen without Bass.

"I'm happy with, I want to say, the steps that our team made this summer," Thompson said. "I didn't know where we were going to be. The kids came out and they've been playing team ball. They've been looking for our shooters. They've been looking for our players cutting to the basket. They've been sharing the ball. They've been helping each other on the defensive end. So, it's not the same team as last year. I definitely can say that."

Samad Hines @Samad_Hines

Another 2022 prospect to keep an eye on, SG Will Loving-Watts (@IndianaWill12) out of Indiana. 6-foot-4 with great size, explosive, and plays with good energy on the floor. Has an offer from Bradley with interest from Indiana, Purdue, Louisville, and others.

6'4" SG from Jeffersonville, IN

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/will-lovings-watts/1GyJ_PKEEeiAxKkkK9HIDg/basketball/stats.htm

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Samad Hines @Samad_Hines

Another 2022 prospect to keep an eye on, SG Will Loving-Watts (@IndianaWill12) out of Indiana. 6-foot-4 with great size, explosive, and plays with good energy on the floor. Has an offer from Bradley with interest from Indiana, Purdue, Louisville, and others.

6'4" SG from Jeffersonville, IN

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/will-lovings-watts/1GyJ_PKEEeiAxKkkK9HIDg/basketball/stats.htm

Never seen the kid play but that description sure did ring a bell

@ManimalElite: Class of 2022 PG Paul Mcmillan IV ranked in top 50 in his class nationally! The Woodrow HS (OH) product had a huge season playing up 17u on gauntlet series circuit! Expect him to be evaluated from all levels! Indiana / Purdue will be in today, Cincinnati was in yesterday!#manimal

Future150

247 released its first '22 rankings.   

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

#7  Jalen Washington - Gary West Side   (#20 on Rivals ranking released this past Monday)

#34  Paul McMillan - Cincinnati, OH   (see ccg post above)

New name to keep tabs on per TheDailyHoosier.  5' 10" Leland Walker PG from North Central HS in Indianapolis.  As a freshman Walker averaged 15 points and 2.5 assists per game for the 2018-19 season.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-leland-walker/?fbclid=IwAR0XCzAfkJSoHdNyvaB5wRYxwVKOknCoq_6WHVuwpe73JzpzvKjTdCXfXEA